PDA

View Full Version : cv joint

casper
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
ive got a good feeling that the cv joint in the mrs' 96 integra vtir is gone...
when turning right hard it makes a rubbing noise(not a clicking noise)
....like a spring extending and tightening....f88ked if i know...
feedback from the mrs is crap
anyway the boots look ok, no cracks or slipping off...no grease coming out

should i just slide the boots across and fill them with grase or are the units sealed???

If i have to replace the cv joint how much $$$ am i looking at???

STTICH
08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
rubbing noise.. will it be ur shocks? they may be gone and do not rebound?

ECU-MAN
08-02-2006, 09:43 PM
yeah doesnt sound like CV's

usualy if the boot is ok, and no sign of it loosing any grease, then couls be someting els, like shocks, or tyres rubbing guards

you got bigger tyres at all, is it lowered ???

iamhappy46
09-02-2006, 02:53 AM
I believe it will be the springs rotating on their rubbers inside the strut assembly... it could also be tyres rubbing on inner guard?

Slow96GSR
09-02-2006, 07:16 AM
It's not the CV's. More like a suspension issue also might be the tire on the inner guard like imhappy46 said.

blackdc2
09-02-2006, 11:21 AM
wheel bearing maybe? sounds like a similar sound i had when my wheel bearing was gone

casper
10-02-2006, 05:30 AM
the car is lowered quite a lot but there is no rubbing on the gaurds. it has stock rims too. the suspension is aftermarket but not sure of the specs.
might be a wheel bearing, she has still been driving it.
she said it doesnt make the noise until she turns right and weight is transfered onto the front left axle.
i pulled the wheel of last night and there was no movement in the cv joint. (not sure if there would be any if it was gone)
the car didnt make the noise when the wheel was off and the rotor was spinning freely with no noises.

iamhappy46
10-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Spring is rotating inside the shock absorber bracket... I have the same problem in my ED Civic with the front springs going 'twang' when ever we turn corners.

Jack up the car, take off rim and see if the spring moves/rotates when your GF turns the steering wheel. If so, there is not much you can do about it besides fit new spring cushions to stop the movement...

casper
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
will the coil start to rotate clockwise(the whole thing???)

is there any way of tightening it.
the car is quite low and it has r rated tyres on it so I spose something has to give...

iamhappy46
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
The whole coil is rotating clockwise/anticlockwise whenever the wheel is turned. The standard 'rubbers' that attach to the coils at the top & bottom are allowing this movement against the smooth metal surface of the shock absorber.

I have a listing at work from Noltec, of new coil rubbers that you can fit to stop the movement. Will get back to you tomorrow...

To answer your questions:
It can't be tightened because the lowered springs cannot provide enough tension between the 2 shock mounting points. When the spring rotates and hits the end groove in the coil base, it causes the 'twang' noise.

casper
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
sounds reasonable, how do i tell if the rubbers are gone???
get back to me when you know how much a set