PDA

View Full Version : [CD5] Car won't run (after starting)

wynode
08-02-2006, 09:58 PM
This is for my sister's car.

The car starts up fine.....but then stalls soon after. So they called up the NRMA and he said its a problem with the ignition switch (barrel where the key goes into) and that he has seen it on a few hondas.

Is this true........is it a known issue guys?

Thanks!

toE
08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
I had that problem once too Win.
Costed me bout 180 (I think) to repair it (part & labour).

Spoon-Accord
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
yes same here!!

u twitch the barrel around in ing.
u see the dash go on and off. :D

wynode
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
The NRMA guy said something about quickly putting it into D3 and then stepping on the gas or something to get it going.

But what ended up getting replaced? The whole barrel? Brand new or second hand ? (is brand new $$$?)

Delta_One
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Im having the same problem with mine, Sometimes it won't even start, like it will try but then nothing, then when it does it stalls.

NRMA comes out and it works fine, then they leave and it does it again, it's random, but when it happens all the lights come on and then the D4 blinks sometimes to indicate transmission problem, but sometimes it wont even kick over so.

Will keep an eye of this thread :D

Xplodin
09-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Well,
I guess i'm glad i've got the 5th Gen series II. All the buggs ironed out. But how ever i have heard this happening to a friend of mine who got it changed and it cost him about 300 Bucks from honda. But this was back in 2003. Then again honda charge an arm and a leg of everything.

ECU-MAN
09-02-2006, 02:52 PM
hey Win

do you loose the dash power when it stalls, like all the dash dies.

if so then its the Electric switch at the end of the ignition barrel.

fix the pictures, there is a DIY I made on this :)

ill post up a pic tonight of the part you have to replace

wynode
09-02-2006, 04:35 PM
ok post the pic up if you can please john....i have to speak to my sis and see whats happenin

ECU-MAN
09-02-2006, 07:34 PM
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/CD5IgnitionSwitch.jpg

here you go

Delta_One
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
When mine does it, It loose's all the lights on the Dash, I will ask my auto electrician about how much it will be.

It hasn't happened for a few days though.

Dominik
12-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Why ask your auto electrician? Buy the part from Honda and do it yourself! Its only a matter of unscrewing and unplugging the old switch, and putting the new one in

FWIW, it happened to me too. I thought it was a mechanical problem so i asked my mechanic to look at it. $400 later and i felt like an idiot because its something i should have noticed right away... (NRMA guy didnt have the same info yours had Wyn!)

flipmods
12-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Just take the switch apart and if the contacts are too burn't you can give them a clean and it may fix your problem. Just a cheap alternative.