PDA

View Full Version : New Guy With a Problem

the griff
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Hello all

Normally I would use the introduction forum to say hello, but I have a somewhat puzzling issue with our Euro that I am wondering if anyone has had before.

The problem is the brakes so it is rather disconcerting.

Edit: I did a number of searches, but found nothing on this problem.

On a few ocassions when backing down our driveway, there has been no power assistance to the brakes. You had to push the pedal very hard to make the car stop before reversing onto the road. After releasing the brakes to move onto the road, they returned to normal. A bit puzzling but thought OK things are working now so no worries.

However, earlier this week, after backing down driveway, stopped the car at the bottom, all OK at this point, then reverse onto the road, go to stop the car and pedal goes to the floor, no brakes at all, have to stop the car with the handbrake. Move off forward and it is OK again. The car is now driven straight to the dealer and the problem explained. A new seal kit is put into the master cylinder and they say all is OK.

And then today, the same situation, back down the driveway and stop, all OK, then move onto the road and brake to stop and pedal is as hard as a rock. Move forward and all is OK.

It only seems to happen when braking in reverse. I suspect either a brake booster or ABS/VSA malfunction.

Has anybody got any idea what this might be. The dealership seem to have no idea.

Thanks

invertiga
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I would be at honda ASAP. I'm guessin you still in waranty as your car spec says 03 euro? I back down a steep driveway every day also and I can't say i've noticed anything of the sort your describing.

ECU-MAN
11-02-2006, 12:16 AM
yeah sounds like the booster, or the check valve forthe booster, get it checked ASAP

Omotesando
11-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Man this sounds scary.

Don't really know why this happens only in reverse and downhill.

However, do you think the BRAKE FLUID level can be low, and when it's doing it only at this angle and in reverse? :O

When you GO UPHILL going forward, do the brakes still work well ? Since you don't normally brake going uphill.

I have nightmares about brakes not working.. :(

EuroAccord13
11-02-2006, 03:20 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21249

:)

Omotesando
11-02-2006, 05:11 AM

"The problem is the brakes so it is rather disconcerting.

Edit: I did a number of searches, but found nothing on this problem."

:Posted on behalf of "the griff"...

He is having a problem that THE DEALER UNDER WARRANTY already tried to fix, but it kept re-surfacing.

I think the original poster having tried to search to no avail, and having ALREADY been to the dealer to have problem fixed once, is obviously very scared that this is still happening.

You honestly don't want to drive in a car without effective brakes.

Now can somebody help him please? :o

yfin
11-02-2006, 08:18 AM

Simple really - go to another dealer. Get them to look at the issue again and again until it is resolved.

msnealo
11-02-2006, 09:51 AM

"The problem is the brakes so it is rather disconcerting.

Edit: I did a number of searches, but found nothing on this problem."

:Posted on behalf of "the griff"...

He is having a problem that THE DEALER UNDER WARRANTY already tried to fix, but it kept re-surfacing.

I think the original poster having tried to search to no avail, and having ALREADY been to the dealer to have problem fixed once, is obviously very scared that this is still happening.

You honestly don't want to drive in a car without effective brakes.

Hear hear! Omotesando

Once again EuroAccord13 is showing what tossers the mods on here can be! :thumbdwn:

HE HAS TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER, HE IS NOW AFTER SOME FURTHER HELP / ADVICE / IDEAS.

yfin
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Hear hear! Omotesando

Once again EuroAccord13 is showing what tossers the mods on here can be! :thumbdwn:

HE HAS TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER, HE IS NOW AFTER SOME FURTHER HELP / ADVICE / IDEAS.

Pipe down msnealo - we don't need personal attacks.

The griff - in all honesty all you can do here is keep persisting with the dealership. If you want to play hard - demand a courtesy car until they can reproduce the problem at the dealership. Tell them you don't want your car back until they have found the problem and fixed it (even if it takes a week). Seriously, hand over the keys and say you don't want them back until they have found the problem and fixed it.

aaronng
11-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi griff, I wonder if you are experiencing 2 problems. The first was with the pedal going down all the way to the floor. After the dealer replaced the seals, did your brake pedal ever go down to the floor again? The 2nd problem when you are braking while reversing down your driveway and your pedal going rock hard, was there sufficient braking force? Sounds like a brake booster problem. Whenever I am close to stalling the engine, the same rock hard pedal occurs. Means the brake booster is not providing sufficient assistance.

But I'd recommend that you change dealers. Some dealers like to use temporary fixes to placate us owners, others will change seals. The best will change the entire component just to be sure.

Omotesando
11-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah when the engine stalls/nearly stalls the same thing happens since there is no brake booster assistance like aaronng said. However in his case his car hasn't stalled?

I'm thinking if this has to do with the fact that, usually when he reverses and down, the car has just started and is still cold?
Whether this has anything to do with it.

But end of the day, yfin is correct in saying, take the car back to dealer and demand a courtesy car until the problem is 100% fixed.

toE
11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Hear hear! Omotesando

We don't see you inputting any sort of
...HELP/ADVICE/IDEAS... ;)

Anyways, if your car's still under warranty, what yfin suggested would be the best course of action. I know I would be doing that too if I was in that situation. :)

EuroAccord13
12-02-2006, 02:23 AM

Simple really - go to another dealer. Get them to look at the issue again and again until it is resolved.

I will say again, New Car Warranty is there for a REASON. If your dealer doesn't satisfy you, go to another one.

You've paid so much for a car, you demand that they fix it.

Euro Ricko
12-02-2006, 06:17 AM
How far is the dealer from you???

Get his arse to your place and put him in the car and get him to reverse out of the driveway. Any reasonable mechanic would not let you drive the car until it was fixed.

Does it also only happen when the car is cold??

msnealo
12-02-2006, 07:57 AM
We don't see you inputting any sort of ;)

Sorry about that.
I've got some great advice for "the griff" and I'm sorry if I'm stealing someones thunder, it's just I can't remember where I got this great piece of advice. :confused:

Why don't you take it back to the dealer? :thumbsup:

the griff
13-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your replies guys

I only posted my problem up here after I had had the car to the dealer. They had not heard of the problem before, so I though it would make sense to see if any other owners had experienced it and had had it resolved, which I could pass on to the dealer. I have found forums are really good for that kind of thing. I am really sorry if I broke any rules here, like I am not allowed to post up a problem when the car is still under warranty. Trust me, I will not leave the dealer alone until the problem is fixed.

Anyway, the problem re-occurred this morning, this time no power assist again. Rather than stop the car, moved it into drive (yes it is an auto :( ) whilst still going backward and, what do you know, brakes OK. Problem only seems to happen when going backwards, just after the car is started. Also a strange thing happened with the auto yesterday, when it would not kickdown when I flattened the accelerator at about 50kph when in 3rd. My wife, who mainly drives the car (hence the auto), also complained of this happening. The car was in drive at the time.

I am calling the dealer again today, and post again when I get some resolution.

Omotesando
13-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah let us know here, would be interested in how the Honda dealer or Honda try to solve this problem with you.

You sound like too nice a guy though, you need to threaten those bastards.. :(

EuroAccord13
13-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I am really sorry if I broke any rules here, like I am not allowed to post up a problem when the car is still under warranty.

I think I might have been blunt when I wrote the announcement in the forum, my intention is that we advise people with new cars who have problems to take it back to the dealer for Warranty Repairs. I will take note of this and change my wording accordingly :). You are welcomed to post your problems etc according to your judgement of the announcement :)....

Go get em' dealers and pester them like a parasite.... :)

the griff
13-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Update:

Taking the car to the dealer (located in the Sutherland Shire, Sydney) tomorrow and I am leaving it there until it is fixed. I have another car so I will not be without transport.

The dealer have been good so far and are keen to solve the problem, and do not want the car driven whilst I have this issue. They have said they will to come to our house and try it themselves if need be.

I did not expect my question to cause such a problem. I am a member of another forum, and this would have caused no problem at all. I can understand that you don't want useless threads such as "My electric window doesn't work and my car is 2 weeks old", but this is a more serious issue, that the dealer has no idea about.

the griff
18-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Update:

The car has been fixed. The problem was a slightly crushed vacuum hose from the motor to the brake booster.

The dealer (Tynan Motors) were excellent. The head mechanic took the car home and tested it himself and experienced the same problem. Further, as they did not have the part in stock, they took one off an unsold Euro, to get me back on the road. They have redeemed themselves after the stuff up when they last serviced it, but that is a another story.

msnealo
18-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Excellent news griff. I am glad to hear Tynan did the job, as that is where I'll be getting mine serviced. I don't know if I want to hear about your "other story" :)

Omotesando
18-02-2006, 02:02 PM
That's indeed great to hear the problem is solved but most importantly the location of the stuff up has been identified. Hopefully won't ever reoccur.. :O

EuroAccord13
18-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Good to hear that you have your problem sorted by them :)... Although I'm not too sure about having a mechanic drive my car home though heeheehee....