PDA

View Full Version : K20a in a Ek1

Menzy
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
ok iam planning (and this is in the long long long run) of doing an engin swap from my D serious enign to a k20a jdm, from all the re-search ive done most k20a wont have aircons, is that cause most of them are done for track/drag use or cause they cant fit it ???
and if we can fit it ... can we use the same air compresser or we can just use the one that comes with the motor ...
if i do go ahead, ill be buying a half cut which should be included :)

what other issues like this can you think of ... please let me know
cause then i might reconsider the series engins .... love to all :D :wave:

2MPRSS
10-02-2006, 04:20 PM
ok,first question do you have any idea on how much thats going to cost you?

LowEk
10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
well for starters the radiator has to go on the other side where you air con is now so if u want air con you will have to put it on the other side.and try www.jdm-theory.com as they will be doing a video of this conversion into a ej8 in the next few weeks.and also if you dont have a budget of like 15-25 dont dother doing it as it costs alot of money to do even doing it by yourself as ive seen the list of stuff that the guys from jdm-theory.com have for there car.

Paul1985
10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
it will cost you between $15 - 20k without labour to do the complete swap. Quiet possibly more. You do realise this?
You can keep air con. And i think you would just use the compressor with car and not the clip/cut, i could be wrong though. You will need some custom work done on it though. Power Steering is another thing most guys remove from their K-swaps aswell. You can keep this also (although not many do!). To keep PS you would need to make sure your swap comes with a PS Pump. If not you can purchase them, but thats just one extra expense you dont need. The problem with PS is that the pump wont clear the hood, and in order to keep PS, you need to chop part of your hood. Ive read its possible to use certain pumps from other makes of cars for better hood clearance and ive also read you can get some CF hoods that will clear the pumps. You would also need custom lines for the PS.

Whatever setup you pick..
PS & AC, just AC etc.. You may need to buy a different sized belt for the pulleys. Generally when people remove both they get an EP3 idley pulley and belt suited to that and it removes both PS and AC pulleys from the belt circulation (im pretty sure you wont need this is keeping AC / PS). You could also go with a 3-pulley setup where you would need to purchase an extra pulley and different sized belt (this is how Yonas' (EG5) EGK20A was setup). I dont know much about this setup so if your after more info you'll have to search k20a.org.

I hope this info helps you in some way. As you can see, there is more to it than just the compressor.

You do also realise with a K-swap you will need many parts. Much, much more than just the half cut which will cost in excess of $8k itself.
You will need things like.. mounts, conversion harness, axles, ECU, clutch line, fuel lines, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, intake, headers, exhaust. Thats to name a few.

To do a K-swap you need to be willing to spend ALOT of money. IMO it would be worth every penny, but most people dont agree or there budget doesnt allow for it.

Good luck.

Menzy
10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
like i said its a long run and in the end its for my own personal satisfaction :) hehehe ... so please dont reaply like 2PMPRSS cause its gay, so please dont...

lowEk thanks for the tips ... ill have a look at car jdm-theory guys are doing ... but thanks for the links

Paul1985
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
like i said its a long run and in the end its for my own personal satisfaction :) hehehe ... so please dont reaply like 2PMPRSS cause its gay, so please dont...

lowEk thanks for the tips ... ill have a look at car jdm-theory guys are doing ... but thanks for the links
If you are serious about this, and want it bad enough. Im sure you could eventually save and pay for it. If you are serious then i suggest you reglarly check out www.k20a.org Ask plenty of questions there. Build yourself up your own parts list.
How i mentioned some things you would need just above. Search the keywords "mounts", "Axles" etc on k20a.org and learn about what they are and what they do. Figure out HOW important these parts are and also work out from traders/companys how much on average these parts are. IMO this is a great way to get yourself a list, work out how much you should expect to spend and you will be able to setup the swap to your preferences.

Menzy
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Paul1985 you have answered a few qns in my head that go around in circles ... i was aware of axles and mounts ... diffs as well, so i know i have alot of reading/searching to do before i move/buy anything so i really appreciate your help ... ive been to the k20a.org great site to go through ... but yea im still going on about it ... and to everyone else who doesnt like the idea ..... if you want something so bad you will save up/work hard for it and get it :) hehehe thats just me

Paul1985
10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Paul1985 you have answered a few qns in my head that go around in circles ... i was aware of axles and mounts ... diffs as well, so i know i have alot of reading/searching to do before i move/buy anything so i really appreciate your help ... ive been to the k20a.org great site to go through ... but yea im still going on about it ... and to everyone else who doesnt like the idea ..... if you want something so bad you will save up/work hard for it and get it :) hehehe thats just me
Too right :thumbsup:
Good luck with your research.

If you want it bad enough im sure you could save for it, will just take a while.

2MPRSS
10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
my question was serious,alot of people ask about k20 conversions without knowing how much they cost in the end,maybe you can keep us posted on ur project if its ever gana happen in 3 years(doubt it) too many gunnas around all talk no action

Menzy
10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
i dont all talk ... dam it 2MPRSS didnt take you long to judge me ... im not like everyone else ... and take an advice ... Never judge a book by its cover ...

Paul thank you for the support man really appreciate it ... anyone else want to add somthing ... please do

Chi
11-02-2006, 07:02 AM
therea guy on club rsx sellign a half cut frmo a JDM dc5r for $6-7k AU

BUY BUY BUY !

honda_b_blastn
11-02-2006, 07:50 AM
my question was serious,alot of people ask about k20 conversions without knowing how much they cost in the end,maybe you can keep us posted on ur project if its ever gana happen in 3 years(doubt it) too many gunnas around all talk no action

You wont have to wait this long to know costs invlolved 2MPRSS..:), we start our produtcion/swap in 1week.:thumbsup:

2MPRSS
11-02-2006, 09:34 AM
thats great keep us posted

MURCHO
11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
just go a easy b16a2 or b18c or b18c7 swap. very simple spend the extra on mods.

xtercii
11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
what do you mean by "long long long run"? Does that mean you gonna save for long long long time before this is gonna happen?

If you are serious why don't you contact eg5(Yonas), he's pretty knowledgable on k20 conversions and I am pretty sure he's willing to help. I was told 15g by using cheap parts and 20g for proper conversion, and forget about ac and ps.

Menzy
11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
actually there is a guy doing the conversion with an Ek1 and its auto ... hes doing k20a2 though ... dont know if its much different ... but if anyone can outline it much thankful ... im still reading ...

have a read ...

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7176

edit: He has the aircon/radiator fan where it goes (front of the car) and has aircon running and power steering :) hehehe it is done ... see >>