PDA

View Full Version : 92 LS auto gear Q's

wayfaerer
12-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey guys

Just curious on how the gears work exactly in the auto LS.
I kind of understand but want clarification In regards to what the difference is between Drive, S and S with S4 enabled

About all i can figure is S4 makes the car rev higher and longer
What do owners of this car reccommend using most of the time?, i'm no rev head but i do like to have that bit of power.

Any tips you can give me on how to drive it without harming the engine over the long run would be awesome, only had her for a few weeks still learning about it heh

(also what is the model name apart from LS? i saw like DA9 for a 91, that mine then?? :confused: )

Thanks alot guys

TRU32U
12-02-2006, 04:30 PM
s stands for sports shift??

IN73GZ
12-02-2006, 11:32 PM
first of all welcome to the LS Club, there is many of us here.
i used to have an auto da9 before my manual one and let me tell u it still went pretty good.
by the way mate LS is the same as Da9.

the way i used to drive it if u want best performance is just put it into S gear which stands for Sport Gear as tony has pointed out, but if you dont push the S4 button, You will stay in gears much longer and this will increase ur performance alot. You will feel the car change from 1st, into 2nd and then into 3rd, wen u start to reach about 5000rpm in 3rd gear push the S4 button and it will allow the car to shift into 4th gear just before redline. In this case the car is driven a little more like a manual car giving u better revs.
this doesnt do any direct damage to your car but driving your car this hard will cause quicker wear and tear, but any car that is driven hard will experience the same problem.
if u wana accelerate a little quicker you can try the method ive mentioned above as i tried many different things to try and get my da9 to keep up with the manual integras.
best of luck and drive safely n responsibly.

TRU32U
13-02-2006, 01:52 AM
well explained! =P

IN73GZ
13-02-2006, 02:28 PM
wel i hope it helped, if u have any furthers Qs feel free to PM me :)

wayfaerer
13-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Ah thanks alot mate, made some sense to me that!
Yeah usaully i just leave it in S with S4 because i just assumed that made it better :D
Just to clarify tho only 4th is reached with S4 enabled correct?
Just curious what makes the difference in letting it climb up into 3rd without S4 enabled? This just a trick to get more power before you enable S4 at the end?

Many thanks :D

Redteg
13-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Just to clarify tho only 4th is reached with S4 enabled correct?

Correct

Just curious what makes the difference in letting it climb up into 3rd without S4 enabled? This just a trick to get more power before you enable S4 at the end?

I think there is no difference, may just be that you get more RPM out of 3rd this way. I'd put it into 4th if you're at cruising speed though. I was under the impression that we had a lock up torque converter that kicked in when at a constant speed in 4th (you can kinda hear and feel an extra 'gear change'). This would give the tranny a bit of a break I guess.

IN73GZ
13-02-2006, 11:09 PM
just from personaly experience and trial n error i found that S "withOUT" S4 seemed to rev harder than with S4. and true if you leave it in S the car will not shift into 4th until S4 is pushed.
up to you whether you wana push it or not but its there for a reason, otherwise the S gear would just be called S4?????

wayfaerer
13-02-2006, 11:29 PM
good points :D
cheers for all your input! :honda: !!

Jnr_Mint
16-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Increase perfomance alot!? lol its a sound thing, from memory reading a few pages from the integra brochure it does absoultly nothing to the performance side, all it does it rev out ur gears longer and waste more petrol, is a useless option...

IN73GZ
16-02-2006, 08:04 PM
man, if you rev up until 6500rpm this is where your stock b18a is going to put out its most power. if your not using the S gear then you will struggle to reach 6000rpm where you wont being puttin out as much power, hence your performance is hindered.
when i say increase performance alot im not comparing it to slapping on a turbo or anything like that, but it will give you better acceleration than using the normal driving gear.
btw, if you read the integra instruction manual it will tell you that the S gear improves your performance at the expense of using more petrol.
and yes, it will give you a nicer sound as your engine is revving higher :)

Jnr_Mint
16-02-2006, 08:15 PM
"When you shift to "S" mode for example, the transmission changes at higher rpm points at partial throttle openings, from first to second and second to third.
To shift to forth when you are in sports mode, you simply press the "S4" button
Effectively, this gives you the best of both worlds an automatic when you need it and control where the feeling takes you." It says nothing about PERFORMANCE

FR33K
16-02-2006, 08:17 PM
one more thing.. max power is at 5900

IN73GZ
17-02-2006, 07:28 AM
read your instructions again jnr
btw, yall need to get a life, why create an arguement for nothing, the guy ask for help and i gave him first hand advice coz ive had an Auto LS. if you dont agree feel free to share your personal experience with him if its going to help otherwise dont try and contradict what i offer.

Redteg
17-02-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd say the only way I have found it helps in terms of performance is that when at cruising speed in S mode, and with S4 off (so, in 3rd), the car shifts down quicker when required. Also, when driving quickly (e.g. freeway speeds), having it stay in 3rd means revs are up, so you have better response.

It'd be interesting to see 1/4 mile runs done in both "S" mode as well as "D". I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, of a difference.

Actually, it wouldn't be interesting, just slow.

Jnr_Mint
19-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I think in this case we will agree to disagree, i also drive a LS auto and my first hand opinion is the S4 gear is useless.