PDA

View Full Version : WRENCHIN' WITH TRAV - DBA Front Slotted Rotor Install

egSi
12-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor OzHonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To upgrade the humble eg5s braking capabilties by installing a pair of DBA Front Slotted Rotors.
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_fitme.jpg

Time: 30mins

Required:
- Car jack
- Jack Stands
- 12mm socket, spanner etc
- Hammer
- Impact Hammer (essential)
- Metho and rag
- Wire Brush
- Old Geto boys CD or something similar

Info:
As always i have been busy, blah blah and actually installed these months ago however i only now got round to posting this write up. Sorry bout that lol. This is a very easy install, please dont pay some one to do this, all you need to install these is an Impact Hammer which i can get round for bout $30.00 so buy one and use these easy steps and your down. Wrench on :)

Step 1:
Ok as always, time now to jack up the front of your car safely! Nice sturdy stands in the right places with some nice wheel chocks will keep Uncle Trav happy! :thumbsup: Do it! Scissor jacks are whack!
Also remove wheels. Use your impact hammer and hit the 2 screws cirlced. I do this first so if i cant get em undone i wont have to put the caliper back together. Believe me, its happened.

stockness = teh nissan :thumbdwn:
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_step1%7E0.JPG

my lil mexican homie, Impacto Hammerito :thumbsup:
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_step2a.JPG

Loosened!!
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_step2b.JPG

Step 2:
Well thats pretty much it, lol kiddin! but thats the hardest part. Once the screws r loose all thats needed to do is remove the caliper so u can swap over the rotors. Remove the couple of 12mm bolts holding the caliper to the hub like so. Just swing it aside, this may seem vague but youll know what u have to remove when your under there. Its easy.

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Step4.JPG

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Step3.jpg

Step 3:
Once the caliper is out the way slide the rotor off. place it next to the slotted replacement and procede to laugh! ha! slotted owns stock :p but really, the new slotted rotor is a hornbag!

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Step6a.jpg

before you put the new slotted on, plz knock some of that surface rust off your hub like so, and also CLEAN your new rotor with some metho or something similar. Be careful not to rub the paint of the centre
http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Step6b.JPG

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Step5.JPG

Step 4:
Now basically reverese the removal process. Please ensure all removed bolts/nuts r TIGHT but NOT OVERTIGHT! were dealing with your brakes here, so a lil precaution is needed. Once all is back together, start car, pump brakes a lil and get some 'feeling' back into the pedal. Go for a short EASY drive to make sure there r no new vibrations and/or ugly noises that werent there before. If all is sweet do some high speed braking on an empty road to double check all is well under there

Done:
Now this is the illest, Slotted rotors get you laid and u know it LOL :D
u should feel a definate difference when under brakes, less fade and far more 'responsive' etc.

if u have added some goodies under your bonnet it may be time to think bout some goodies behind your wheels.

thanks for looking guys

Trav

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Step7b.JPG

http://undergroundimports.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Step7c.JPG

turtleEK1
13-02-2006, 06:46 PM
man, thats toooo easy to do... we'll have to do mine when my pads chew up my stockers!!

and i've seen how they handle on your car too!! :thumbsup:

good write up man!!

[ricer]
13-02-2006, 06:50 PM
i know this is abit off topic but what suspension do you have? and do you sell it?

Zdster
13-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Trav, is an impact really that essential? I have heard some people say yes and others say no??? (do you know what they usually retail for (the hammer that is?).

egSi
13-02-2006, 08:15 PM
essential? man u will not be able to get the screws undone with ur arms u may have to drill em out if u dont buy a hammer, its noted in the write up thats they are bout $30.00

my sussy consist of king springs + koni yellows. my eg is fully gutted and rides on 15s/14s.

thanks dave

VTi_b0i
13-02-2006, 08:26 PM
dammm nice write up trav! i gotta get me sum rotors off u n whack em on :D
will you do the rear aswell?

Zdster
13-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Trav. Why dont you just throw it in when I get the rotors :D.

egSi
13-02-2006, 09:23 PM
thanks man. fronts, rears and all available. and mike throw it in? lol what am i goin to use, get one from super crap y dont u, ull used it again im sure :p

Zdster
13-02-2006, 09:28 PM
I will send it back, I promise :D.

Now that you made the fronts all pretty, time for the rears as well?

egSi
13-02-2006, 09:42 PM
already done mate :)

STTICH
13-02-2006, 09:46 PM
always a nice writeup trav :thumbsup:

car looks hot!! u mentioned kings.. is it superlow?

egSi
13-02-2006, 09:50 PM
always a nice writeup trav :thumbsup:

car looks hot!! u mentioned kings.. is it superlow?

thanks man, yes, cheap ass king springs super low + koni yellows.

tracking this setup in 2weeks :D

turtleEK1
13-02-2006, 10:43 PM
LOL... make that this weekend Trav!!

ARGH!!!

egSi
16-02-2006, 08:40 PM
LOL... make that this weekend Trav!!

ARGH!!!

ah yeah man but i know my brakes can take some track work now :thumbsup:

jrakasp
05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
thats cool
cheers

ek4-guy
05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I got those on my commodore was more to do on the commodore thoe cause they sit on a stub axle an you have to do bearings an stuff but looks good

oh yeah where you d one at the spit on australia day

egSi
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I got those on my commodore was more to do on the commodore thoe cause they sit on a stub axle an you have to do bearings an stuff but looks good

oh yeah where you d one at the spit on australia day

u askin me man?

ek4-guy
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
yep was it you egsi with 2 other hondas

egSi
05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
yep was it you egsi with 2 other hondas

gold coast? nah man wasnt me. I havent been to gold coast for months.

n/a
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
trav would you know what needs to be done to change the calipers?

egSi
07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
trav would you know what needs to be done to change the calipers?

to change calipers alone? man easy as lol. :thumbsup:

hotboxcivic
12-03-2006, 03:35 AM
to change calipers alone? man easy as lol. :thumbsup:

care to elaborate? :p

aaronng
12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Just wanted to add, I saw the impact hammer at supercheap for $15.

egSi
12-03-2006, 08:51 PM

yes very good point man! cheap as bananas! :thumbsup:

hotboxcivic
12-03-2006, 09:00 PM

sale? or just on the shelf?

aaronng
12-03-2006, 09:26 PM
On the shelf. I saw it at Bunnings as well. Looked at the item itself and it was almost the same (both made in china). $30 at Bunnings (in a blister pack) and $15 at super cheap (in a cardboard box). I don't need one, but I bought it. Will come in handy for those damn tight screws around the house as well.

And for those who want to remove stripped screws, Super cheap has a screw extractor set for $20. Go for it. That's $20 for a set of 5 sizes I think. I bought mine from Bunnings, $9 for 1 size!!!!! :confused:

Limbo
22-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok Trav you were right if you don't have an impact wrench you can't get those screws out.

I wrecked all 4 of them and had to drill them all out. Then i had to go out and buy some new screws.

P.S taking the clear lacquer off is a good idea i should of read your DIY before attempting myself

egSi
22-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok Trav you were right if you don't have an impact wrench you can't get those screws out.

I wrecked all 4 of them and had to drill them all out. Then i had to go out and buy some new screws.

P.S taking the clear lacquer off is a good idea i should of read your DIY before attempting myself

lol nice one bro, but least its all done :thumbsup:

rep for DIY effort :D

EG5[KRT]
22-03-2006, 10:36 PM
spend big and get a KOKEN impact driver !! they are awesome !!

hotboxcivic
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
trav, what do the screws in step do 1? do they really hold the rotor onto the hub?

egSi
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
trav, what do the screws in step do 1? do they really hold the rotor onto the hub?\

yeah mate they hold it on :thumbsup:

hotboxcivic
06-04-2006, 01:40 AM
and if i was to not have them on? big problems?

Zdster
06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Um, yes! Not much else holds the disc to the car.

CTR Coupe
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Um, yes! Not much else holds the disc to the car.
apart from a wheel and 4 wheel nuts.

n/a
06-04-2006, 03:07 PM
apart from a wheel and 4 wheel nuts.

wouldn't that be the major factor in holding the rotor on the hub? rather than 2 small screws?

Zdster
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
wouldn't that be the major factor in holding the rotor on the hub? rather than 2 small screws?

It should be four screws, but the disc would only be sandwiched between the wheel and the hub. Not sure it would be a good idea to run around without them on.

egSi
06-04-2006, 05:39 PM
i have heard ppl running with no screws but i wouldnt. i mean if HONDA put em there i think they should be there, but thats just me

CTR Coupe
07-04-2006, 02:04 AM
i have heard ppl running with no screws but i wouldnt. i mean if HONDA put em there i think they should be there, but thats just me
Its two screws and last time i took the wheels off they had vibrated loose (discs were warped) and the screws just dropped out.
if you lose them I wouldn’t worry about them but if you still have them I don't see any advantage of removing them.

bennjamin
07-04-2006, 02:12 AM
to add - the 2 screws are installed and removed by a impact hammer so they arent exactly there for a pretty look - methinks they do something ! I had steelies on , and one screw managed to free itself and thus the wheel slowly became a horrible wobble. Probably ripped the bearing too ( wich woudl explain a new funky noise lol)
So as Uncle robert said "leave is as (Honda)God intended." Stock !

n/a
07-04-2006, 04:25 PM
no intention to run without the screws, but i have a pair of rotors with screw holes that don't line up with my original holes on the hub. so wanting to know if it's ok to run without them.

but seeing that it's held in my the 4 bolts and the wheel shouldn't it be tight? and not wobble?

bennjamin
07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
no intention to run without the screws, but i have a pair of rotors with screw holes that don't line up with my original holes on the hub. so wanting to know if it's ok to run without them.

but seeing that it's held in my the 4 bolts and the wheel shouldn't it be tight? and not wobble?

just make sure ur lug nuts are secure and all torqued the same ~

egSi
07-04-2006, 10:24 PM

if i was you id drill some hole in your new rotor to accomodate the screws.

i mean how had is it to screw 2 holes and counter sink em?

id rather that than run the risk(however small) or doin any harm to your car and/or your new rotors.

and also what brand of rotors dont come with enough holes? dbas come with 4 when only 2 r needed

n/a
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
i want the holes to be accurate.. dont want to run the risk and miss..

i have brembo rotors, that where drilled for 4x114.3 (bb1) but they came drilled with 4x100 from japan. don't know why they didn't drill holes for the screws, maybe don't need it.

egSi
17-04-2006, 09:58 PM
fair enough man

Limbo
14-06-2006, 04:26 PM
btw the hardware store changed me 50c per screw that's $2 for all 4, better safe than sorry

supersamEK
27-06-2006, 05:02 PM
would it be safe to say that because you have to undo the screws with an impact wrench, you should also do them back up with aan impact wrench? Just wanna make sure as i gonna do this on the weekend.. and dont wanna screw it up lol

newmski
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
yeh do it up with the impact hammer (they needa be tight) and if ou try doing it by hand you risk defacing the screw

egSi
03-09-2006, 10:26 PM
id like to see u do em with an impact hammer mate LOL its really only fr undoing screws. just do em up as tight as possible.

mine havent fallen off lol ;)