PDA

View Full Version : New Audio Setup

scott1e
12-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Howdy,

Well at the moment guys Im running stock Honda tape deck and an Ipod (with connector) on two stock pos speakers that sounds like absolute rubbish...

Im looking at putting some what of a system into it, nothing too special but something with a bit of bass, and some good quality sound.. Doesnt need to go exceedingly loud but has to be good for cruising and showing off what your listening too.. (because Im just far too cool for anything else..)

Anyhow I have a question about my computer sub and whether it can be used, and fitted easily as a sub for the car..

Click here (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=464&product=55) for the computer sound system I currently have..

Assuming this is impossible, or very hard/expensive to do can anyone reccomend a cheapish system for my car..

Basically all I want to do is replace the two rear speakers with something that actually works, and sounds good.. and chuck a sub in the back.. I assume this means I will need somesort of an amp and whatever else..

Being a noob on this sort of thing Im also going to need to have it installed by someone who knows what theyre doing (Strathfield Car Audio or something of the sort..

Ive got about $800 to spend but could stretch higher if it was neccesary..

EDIT: Alternatively.. I am happy to just buy the headunit, some rear speakers and whatever I need to run them and get the sub at a later date...

Cheers,
scott1e

arverson
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
goin by that site, ur comp sub is 17rms, thats not much...at all.

y do u wanna get rears b4 fronts?? r they blown??

with a $800 budget, probly best to save up & build up ur system over time.
if u wanna do that, then the current $800 can get u a HU, rear AND front speakers. im thinkin:
. $350ish quality splits (as decent splits start at $300-400) OR any cheap coaxils from JB/Strathy etc OR jaycar splits ($150) for fronts
. $150MAX for rears (no matter wat size ur rears r)
. HU to suit the budget, jvc 615 (<$250) OR eclipse 5425 ($250) OR pioneer 5750 if u can haggle it down to $300ish

then theres funds needed for installation if ur not confident in doing it urself.
. $60-70 to install HU
. speakers?? depends if u get splits or coaxils cus that'll decide on amount of work required to fit em in

yup u'll need a amp if u decide to get a sub in the future. quality of gear?? depends how much ur willing to 'stretch higher if it was neccesary..' cus to add a sub into the mix, ur looking at:
. $100ish for wiring
. $100ish for prefab subbox vs $150-300 custom built to suit ur car/sub, also depending on box type (sealed, ported)
. a single entry level 12" sub, $100-150 for a pioneer or JBL, otherwise $200-300 for Alpine, kicker, JL audio
. amp, depends how much power U need & wat amp type (mono or multichannel) & how many amps
. installation, at least $250, depending on work needed/finish wanted

hmmmm feels like ive missed out & 4got sumthin cus i need more info. cum back with exact budget ur willing to spend up to, size of front & rear speakers, do u wanna amp the fronts &/or rears as well or just amp the sub?? ummm think thats all the questions i have so far :S

=]

scott1e
13-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Well.. at the moment, the stock speakers sitting in the back are very rattley if I turn the volume up.. And they just seem easier to replace..

Im actually thinking that I might have to install alot of it myself but Ill get some friends who have some sort of incling to help me out..

I dont know if this is any help but I took some phone camera pics of the speaker slots, below and above...

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3381/13020617096sp.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9731/13020617105wi.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2901/13020617122ua.jpg

Can you reccomend any speakers? I will be getting a sub in the future so which do you reccomend? 6" or 6x9s? And how easy is it to replace the front speakers? Isnt there issues with magnet size n whatnot?

EDIT: Only amping the sub at this stage will be necessary..

Cheers

arverson
13-02-2006, 05:25 PM
no prob, while ur upgrading ur rears u mite as well upgrade ur fronts & HU right?? uve got $800 to play with afterall

yer u or ur frendz could install it, just ensure yall know wat yall doin or else its best to take it to a pro

as for speaker recommendations, for ur REARS, just go jb/strathy n get any 6-6.5" speakers for NO MORE than $150. while ur there u could get the jvc615 or the 5750. jb/strathy wont have the eclipse or the quality splits im talkin about. DONT get 6x9s, speshly if u dont plan on amping ur speakers & speshly since u plan on gettin a sub later. reason y?? many but ill get into that another time if u ask y =]

'And how easy is it to replace the front speakers? Isnt there issues with magnet size n whatnot?'
if u can install ur rears, installing ur fronts will be the same. yup u may have issues with depth, just find out maximum depth n simply get speakers that will fit.

goin by the pics i cant tell wat size they r (look to b 6" tho) but im sure sum1 on here will know wat the biggest speaker size is that can b fitted into the stock locations & the mounting depth of the fronts

u said its rattly back there, maybe its ur rear shelf or sumfin back there thats rattling, not the speakers. if u upgraded ur speakers & it was sumthin else that was rattling in the 1st place, ur still gonna have those rattles. look into Sound Deadening

scott1e
13-02-2006, 05:53 PM
No its definitely the speaker rattling.. Ive pumped it and had a look at it myself and it is coming more specifically from one speaker, but when its pumped REAL loud, from all 4.. front and back.. If you touch the speaker from underneath you can semi deaden the sound but obviously you cant drive and hold the speaker in place at the same time.. These speakers are meant to play classical music with no bass and whatever else :P They are 16 years old after all..

Thanks for all your advice.. I would like some clarification on sizes on the '90 Accord if possible from someone :)

Slow96GSR
14-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Here (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rNxJt4BiLWD/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?vehicleid=0&typeCH=home&vb=Y&lp=%2FS-rNxJt4BiLWD%2Findex%2Ehtml%3F%26id%3D0%26vehicleid %3D0&cm_re_o=fB5EzM*5yBpFwEAn*ctzfubflFYgzy)! Enter the year make and model and it will help you find what fits. Looks like it's 6.5" all around for a 1990 Honda Accord DX Sedan.

Nuttz
14-02-2006, 08:51 PM
if u have $800 to play with i would put $400 to a nice head unit and $200 for fronts and the rest on a small amp to run the fronts. I wouldnt care about the back, they are just for filling in. I would set the head unit to 70% to the front anyways.

You will notice that your old speakers will sound twice as good with just a new head unit. But with the amp you can turn them up louder without them distorting so badly.

arverson
16-02-2006, 12:27 PM
yup with $800 theres many ways to start but scott has already said/adressed the need to:
. replace the rears
. only amping the sub atm (still not sure if scott WILL get a sub in the future tho, if not, then yes id go HU+fronts+amp for fronts too)

if u ARE planning on gettin a sub. then the basic steps id take with the current $800 & ur requests are:
1. HU+fronts(splits)+rears
2. sub+monoblock
3. 2 or 4 chan for ur speakers
not sure if these steps r apropriate to ur budget but i guess a exact budget would help

me personally, id make rears the lowest priority - even tho im one who likes some rear fill. i guess it depends on ur situation, scott how much do u like rear fill?? r u gonna fade most of the music forward anyway (defeating the purpose of havin rears). drive alot of passengers back there?? r u nice like me & want them to enjoy sum music too? :p

u said its definately the speakers rattling. upgrading ur rears still wont guarantee those wont rattle tho. if they do rattle, u could make a mdf spacer. if not, sweet.

=]

scott1e
16-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Cheers for all the advice guys.. Its not actually the surrounding area of the speaker rattling but the actual speaker material.. (not quite sure what its called.. anyway, they werent made for pumping thats for sure..)

EGB16A
16-02-2006, 04:43 PM
here's what i'd do for $800

entry level pioneer deck $150
Jaycar speakers front $150
as above for the rear $150
second hand schneider amp from a member click here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37765)
amp cabling kit roughly $80-100

and you can fill in the rest of the budget with a sub

hope it helps

scott1e
16-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey mate,

With that Schneider amp, will that be able to amp both sets of splits? Or will it only be able to amp one set.. Also.. would you reccomend amping both sets of splits or just amping the sub?

Cheers

EGB16A
17-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey mate,

With that Schneider amp, will that be able to amp both sets of splits? Or will it only be able to amp one set.. Also.. would you reccomend amping both sets of splits or just amping the sub?

Cheers

on a budget of $800 i wouldn't be looking to amp the speakers, only the sub. run the speakers off the deck, and bridge the amp and run the low pass filter for the sub. Its not ideal, but within your budget and should be much better than the stock system.

scott1e
18-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Gday guys,

Well budget has gone a little astray as ive decided to buy the system in parts.. At this stage ive already bought my HU which is a Panasonic 5401.. got that for $243..

My mate has offered me some cheapish speakers for $100 for the front.. They are 200W 6.5" XS-GS160 speakers.. Sony Xplod ones.. Im just curious as to whether these will fit in the front door? Apparently the magnet depth shouldnt be a problem but what about size wise?

Cheers

mrwillz
18-02-2006, 01:19 PM
open up ur speaker grill n haf a look

scott1e
18-02-2006, 02:15 PM
This would involve taking the whole door panel off ,which is something im not confident in doing.. Im hoping someone with previous experience might be able to answer my question

mrwillz
18-02-2006, 02:33 PM
try a search
see wot size it takes
if its not the rite size, u wud jus need a spacer n that'll it..

scott1e
19-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Hmm tried a search but it was inconclusive.. Anyone? :(

Slow96GSR
19-02-2006, 07:20 PM
M/M/Y? Try www.crutchfield.com and do the "What fits my car?" under Car Accessories.

scott1e
19-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Yer mate, sorry I didnt ignore your first post.. I tried that site but from the look of it it only shows rear speaker specs..

1990 Accord EXi for me..

Slow96GSR
19-02-2006, 10:52 PM
You use the component sets for the fronts because of the separate tweeter location and the coaxial for the rear deck. You can use a coaxial for the front and not hook up the stock tweeter or you can have it hooked up too. You’ll just have a lot of high frequencies.

If this is your door:
http://www.strathlan.com/TEK/images/1990ac4.jpg

Then use:
http://www.strathlan.com/TEK/images/crutchfield.jpg

scott1e
20-02-2006, 02:41 PM
My door is very similar to that, except we dont have the tweeter like that.. Whether its incorporated in the lower panel or not is another thing, its not visible like in that.. Then again, mine is the sedan..

scott1e
21-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Righto guys..

Installed it myself in the end and did quite a neat job of it too :)

Not much to see as the speaker is down behind the door panel and covering however I did manage to mount the tweeter specially and seperately because there was no previous slot for a tweeter..

Pardon the poor quality pics but it lets you get an idea at least..

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2102/tweeter5lp.jpg

I drilled a hole through the little plastic guard there and ran the cable down behind the door panel... Also, the sticky that came with the tweeter didnt stick so I had to screw that down from behind..

Here is the headunit in place and I ran the AUX cable down through the back of the little empty tray that is sitting there..

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/549/cidmedia23ja.jpg

Anyways just thought id keep those interested informed..

Headunit cost me $243 and the splits cost me $150.. Installation... priceless :)