PDA

View Full Version : Euro - Changing the tiptronic shift direction...

JeffyG
13-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Ive tried a search on this with no luck, so here is my question...

It drives me BONKERS :mad: having to push forwards to change UP a gear and pull BACKWARDS to change down... so unnatural!!

I heard that the 06 Euros have had this reversed to the natural, industry preferred method. :confused:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to modify/reprogram the transmission somehow to achieve this shift pattern in my '05 Euro?

Thanks guys... hope this doesnt sound too dumb

hondaaccordeuro05
13-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Ive tried a search on this with no luck, so here is my question...

It drives me BONKERS :mad: having to push forwards to change UP a gear and pull BACKWARDS to change down... so unnatural!!

i dunno what u mean by "unnatural" :confused: , as i find it quite smooth and "natural", since when you push the gearstick UP (or forward) it shifts a gear UP or forward and when you pull it DOWN (or backwards) it shifts DOWN..... dosen't it make more sense than the other way around? :rolleyes: i know some cars and most games have it ur way, but i dun see that very "natural"...... certainly not logical.......

Does anyone know if it would be possible to modify/reprogram the transmission somehow to achieve this shift pattern in my '05 Euro?

as for this question, i'm sure you can go to an autoelectrician to get it modify for you, but then, i'm sure it'll void your warranty and might make your car unroadworthy...... someone pls correct me on this one if i'm wrong..... :p

cheers :wave:

JasonGilholme
13-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I was wondering about this as well. Alot of sports oriented cars that have triptronic shifting have it so that when you pull the stick towards yourself it changes up a gear.

Although it would probably be easier to "get used" to how the curretn system work because it might b a hard mod to undertake.

JeffyG
13-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Hopefully this wont just become one of those 50/50 unwinnable debates (like Holden vs Ford) but I really feel that it is more natural to pull back to change up as gear, as this goes with the momentum of the car, as does pushing forward to change down... that s why I think it feels natural the opposite way to the current set up in the car...

The good thing is, if i get confused and press the wrong way, the computer is smart enough to not follow my instructions!

Ive been trying very hard to get used to it as it currently is, but am finding it very difficult.

euro77
13-02-2006, 03:09 PM
the shifting direction for up & down has been discussed before in another thread. shifting the gear up by pulling the lever down (towards you) does goes in-line with the momentum (being pulled backwards as you go faster), and thus some people prefers this - especially with fast cars :)

I didn't know '06 euro has had this reversed. can anyone confirm?

JeffyG
13-02-2006, 03:18 PM
the shifting direction for up & down has been discussed before in another thread.

Can you post a link please? I searched and couldnt find anything.

JasonGilholme
13-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I sat in an odyssey the other day and its running gear is based of the euro and the triptronic in that was push forward to change up and pull back to change down.

djcloud
13-02-2006, 03:47 PM
the shifting direction for up & down has been discussed before in another thread. shifting the gear up by pulling the lever down (towards you) does goes in-line with the momentum (being pulled backwards as you go faster), and thus some people prefers this - especially with fast cars :)

I didn't know '06 euro has had this reversed. can anyone confirm?

I currently have the '06 euro and can confirm that this has not been reversed in the '06 model. It's still the same.

JeffyG
13-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I currently have the '06 euro and can confirm that this has not been reversed in the '06 model. It's still the same.

Thanks for confirming that djcloud. I must have read wrong somewhere...

Still, wonder if it is possible to do?

EuroAccord13
13-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure if this will help you, but in the FTOs and the Magnas, it's the same as well and someone has actually reversed his FTO shifter direction by rewiring the wires.. You might want to investigate this modification.

euro77
13-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Can you post a link please? I searched and couldnt find anything.

I'm pretty sure I've read the discussion here. I could be wrong though, or the thread could have been deleted (too old?). Anyway, it's not related to your question. It's discussing which way should be the correct direction for shifting gear in tiptronic gearbox.

kam
13-02-2006, 04:37 PM
hahah, ive got the same problem. been driving the mazda 3 for a while, and its triptronic is the 'right' way, so when i hopped back into the euro, then starting bouncing off the rev limiter, why wont it change gear! oh thats right, euro is oppisate direction :p

BiLL|z0r
13-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I prefer it the way it is. When I first drove the car (during the test drive) I naturally pushed up to shift up, however I do see what you mean and I must admit I did once pull down to shift up during a "spiritted drive".
I'm sure if you simply changed the wiring around it would be the opposite, surely its just a couple of solanoids or sensors that trigger the up/down shift.

JasonGilholme
13-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I guess someone with a euro is gonna have to take their centre console apart and take a picture for us to have a look at.

tRipitaka
13-02-2006, 05:32 PM
here's a link on how to do it in an fto..

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/gears.html

i'm not too sure whether the euro operates in the same way, but you can give it a go ?

iamhappy46
13-02-2006, 05:49 PM
It should be easy enough to swap the switch positions, I have seen it done on a Prelude VTiR and imagine any competant auto electrician could perform the work for you.

JasonGilholme
13-02-2006, 09:06 PM
looks pretty simple. If you've installed any sorta sound or lighting gear into your car then you should be able to complete this. how hard is it to take the dash out in the euro??

JeffyG
14-02-2006, 07:11 AM
It should be easy enough to swap the switch positions, I have seen it done on a Prelude VTiR and imagine any competant auto electrician could perform the work for you.

That sounds cool! Now all I need to do is get my wife's permission! :rolleyes:

JeffyG
14-02-2006, 07:14 AM
here's a link on how to do it in an fto..

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/gears.html

i'm not too sure whether the euro operates in the same way, but you can give it a go ?

That looks simple... will check it out.