PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake kit

R08813
12-04-2004, 12:16 PM
What is the best cold air intake kit on the australian market????

toE
12-04-2004, 01:30 PM
i think it'd be hard to say what is the best rather we should say what is the most commonly used.

my 2c.

K&N seems to be d popular one, but wouldnt know if it's the best.

R08813
12-04-2004, 01:56 PM
ok, im just tryin to get some opinions on various brands to help me decide on which one to get. so any information/pros and cons, on various brands and where to get them would be appreciated :D

A'PEXi
12-04-2004, 07:48 PM
there isnt a huge difference between aussie made ones if there are any??? i know the custom ones made from exhaust shops do the job ok, as i've got one of these.....

if you look into the k&n/aem/injen ones are prob more advanced in terms of quality/material/colours/fitting etc... but $$

Usual Suspect
12-04-2004, 07:56 PM
AEM is said to be the best in the world, better airflow and all that.

geo41e
12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
bump

but i rekon for our accords...u dun have much to play with..that is..u can't rev them high enuf..therefore..i rekon its better to get a panel filter rather than a CAI coz u loose low end..and achieve top end..but only after 4500rpm, *roughly*

jus getta panel filter..*my opinion*
u get abit at top end ...4500rpm plus..but get more from 1-4...and thats where u drive ur car more often...if ur racing everday..thats a dif story.

my 2c

hope this helps

EuroAccord13
12-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Yeah, when I got my K&N CAI for my car, I lost a bit on the low end RPM.. But I guess the extra $bling$ $bling$ from brand names goes to the quality and finish and the "brand" like Apexi mentioned..

CHEERS
Nick

Calvo
12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
ive got a simota CAI in my 5th gen... basically the same as the AEM one except the pod sits where the airbox is, instead of where the resonator is. still to build a box for it, but its coming along :D

EDIT: prices also differ. i got my CAI kit for $130 (i think they retail more... not sure. it was over a year ago tho.) the last time i looked at the AEM one for the 5th gens, it was sumfin like $500. i just cant justify payin $500 for a CAI... i could prob make a better custom one for half the price.

h22a accord
22-04-2004, 09:43 AM
ive got a simota CAI, it is the 2 piece one where the filter sits outside of the engine bay in in front of the wheel arch splash guard.

Sounds phat, sounds reall ferkn phat above 6500rpm.

poid
22-04-2004, 10:10 AM
basically the best ones on the market tend to be the AEM etc. They charge so much because they did the R&D on them to make them the right length, resonance etc

However even just a simple CAI should produce gains if you make sure they are only drawing cold air

vtecinaccord
22-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Get a AEM V2 they are expensive but damn good, the are also cold air which is even better...
You can even get them from American Ebay alot cheaper than normal retail..

R08813
22-04-2004, 08:07 PM
ok, so where is the best place in sydney (sutho shire (if possible)) to get one???? and roughly how much?

mo
22-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Injen > AEM

Call up Advan Performance in Silverwater and see if they stock any for your car.

A'PEXi
22-04-2004, 09:26 PM
aem is said to be the best, they also spend money on developing good intake kits, such as the v2. although, there once was a test that showed that a aem v1 cai, did not make as much power as a replacement filter with cold air tubing... had dyno graphs etc. read this a while ago on honda-tech.

mo
22-04-2004, 09:29 PM
i've seen a dyno graph of the aem v1, v2 and there wasn't much difference...it was somewhat about 9hp difference...saying this...they said it gives you UPTO an extra 20hp...but yea you know the yanks...

whereas the injen kit they had...proved a big amount well over the stock filter. btw this was for a RSX-S though.

VTEC16
22-04-2004, 09:30 PM
If there is one thing i have learnt while being a car enthusiast and a science student - you can prove anything.

Whether ppl realise it or not, their biases can influence their results, or just chance.

....yep....im a skeptic....

mo
22-04-2004, 09:34 PM
If there is one thing i have learnt while being a car enthusiast and a science student - you can prove anything.

Whether ppl realise it or not, their biases can influence their results, or just chance.

....yep....im a skeptic....

lol whatever you said just...went straight over me...did not understand one word you tried to get across...lol

VTEC16
22-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Just saying that they can prove that it makes 20wkw or that one intake is better than another!

...or that mobile phones cause/dont cause cancer etc etc...

they can prove anything they want....

I wasnt bagging anyone....i posted 1 minute after you did....so i hadnt even read your post....

mo
22-04-2004, 11:34 PM
oh ok that's cool mate!!

yea that is true that they can prove anything

i was just stating what i saw...i never said it was a fact :P

A'PEXi
22-04-2004, 11:55 PM
lol yes, you can prove anything... just like everything else it the world, doesn't have to be cars.

if you were reffering to my comment, it was merley what i read, and basically quoted - whether you believe it or not, its entirely up to you and also with anyone else for that fact :D

have a good day.

VTEC16
23-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Sorry if i sounded harsh guys.... i was just stating that its kinda hard to prove which one is best.... i was just saying that you should take what you read with a pinch of salt.

I dont really dissagree..... i think the AEM intakes are one of the best intakes on the market....its just hard to say they are THE best...

ill try to have a good day...but its night!....and im studying....so....i guess i wont!

...but thanks anyway!

R08813
23-04-2004, 01:58 AM
ok, thanks people, that should help me out. thanks for the help :thumbsup:

vtecinaccord
23-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Either way AEM stuff looks the part and fits perfect its worth the extra for no hassels.. IMO Injen are similar qualty intakes i personally have not seen one to comment..

**Ghost**
23-04-2004, 07:09 PM
wot about ARC?

EuroAccord13
23-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Every car is DIFFERENT...

Eg... A and B have 2 identical cars, and both tested 2 CAI, say K&N and AEM..

A might have better gains on the AEM than K&N and B might have better gains on the K&N rather than AEM... 8)

Anyway... hope u get my 1 1/2 cents... :D

CHEERS
Nick