PDA

View Full Version : audio signal polarity?

dundas
15-02-2006, 12:02 AM
just wondering if there is any gizmo that can test if you have the correct polarity for speakers, i know sumtimes i have too many wires to follow and cant get to the main source (not just cars) and forget which one was wat because i used da wrong wire. what can be used to determine whats -ve and whats +ve?????

Dundas

Slow96GSR
15-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I use a 9-volt battery! If it pops out, your polarity is positive, if it goes in you're negative. Just make sure all the subs in a common box enclosure are the same polarity. If you have a dual voice coil you need to make a set of wires to send the power to both at the same time or things can go wrong!

dundas
19-02-2006, 09:14 PM
o.O 9volt battery, hook it up to your speaker and see which way it pops? will it thump (bass) or move if u connect it to just a 9 volt battery?

Slow96GSR
19-02-2006, 10:39 PM
It will sound more like it is a cracking sounds not a deep bass sound. If you hold the leads on the battery it will hold the cone in our out depending on the polarity. If the positive speaker terminal is on the positive battery lead it should pop out and vise versa for the negatives.

dundas
21-02-2006, 04:43 PM
ahh excellent good idea. i shall do that hehe, thanks heaps buddy

Slow96GSR
21-02-2006, 04:44 PM
That's what we're here for. Well some of us!