PDA

View Full Version : iPod Dension Ice Link with Kiosk dash mount [Euro]

coyote
15-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok, it took me a while, but I've finally completed my iPod setup! I purchased the Dension - I20 Honda R3 ice>Link:Plus from http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/acura_ipod.html and got the docking cradle (they throw it in for free). I then purchased a custom made dash mount from http://www.kioskcommunications.com.au/kiosk/ProductBrowse.asp?tid=2&cid=23&mid=151 There are four different options, I chose one of each of the two Angled Mounts - one for the iPod and one for my mobile (they also have a range of cradles to suit mobiles which attach to the dash mounts).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod7.jpg

The Dension ice>Link took about 20 minutes to install. All you need to do is remove the area around the gear knob, the ashtray assembly and the middle cubby console. You can then plug the ice>Link directly into the available port at the bottom of the stereo, and then it's simply a case of fitting everything in and running the cable from the ice>Link module up oer the cubby door and secure your cradle to the dash mount! Coudn't be easier! When you purchase the ice>Link from Dension, they email you a PDF with installation instructions.

Overall, it's a neat looking setup, with no holes or screws anywhere! And it's all within reach from the driver's seat. Here are some photos of my setup...

Also, just bought a K & N Typhoon CAI kit so I'll be installing that on the weekend!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod4.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/ipod6.jpg

Hoffy
15-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Great find. I have been trying to work out how to mount the ipod nano and mobile. I'm surprised it's available in Australia. This will be my next purchase.

Great photos BTW.

BiLL|z0r
15-02-2006, 07:30 PM
You can then plug the ice>Link directly into the available port at the bottom of the stereo

What is this available port at the bottom of the stereo? Is it a std line in or proprietry port for the cassette/mp3 oem option?

Also is your mobile phone just mounted there or hooked into the stereo so when the phone rings it mutes the stereo and routes the phone sound through to the car speakers?

coyote
15-02-2006, 08:58 PM
What is this available port at the bottom of the stereo? Is it a std line in or proprietry port for the cassette/mp3 oem option?

Also is your mobile phone just mounted there or hooked into the stereo so when the phone rings it mutes the stereo and routes the phone sound through to the car speakers?

The available port is for a CD Changer option. The ice>Link kit comes custom made with a plug to fit the port.

Mobile is just mounted there for now... better that having it loose in the cabin somewhere, and the speakerphone on the V3 isn't too bad.

I'll be getting a Bluetooth kit installed at some stage.. not sure which one to get. Anyone have any ideas? US and UK/Europe Honda/Acura have an OEM option for Bluetooth but it's still being tested here (a mate of mine does the testing at Honda and has found it doesn't suit all phones available in Aust yet - they're working on it). Depending on how long until it's approved, I'll probably get that one, but meanwhile I'm looking at the Motorola HF850 Anybody got any feedback on it?

madjace
16-02-2006, 08:02 AM
can you change playlists and songs etc from your steering wheel with this setup ?

Hoffy
16-02-2006, 08:04 AM
can you change playlists and songs etc from your steering wheel with this setup ?
My underestanding is that with the Ice Link you get control from the steering wheel as well as the disc buttons on the console relate to playlists.

madjace
16-02-2006, 08:07 AM
just had alook at the sppecs and it does say that you can do this , overall i would say that this is a great setup .. I think i just worked out what i am going to do with mine ..

Good work and thanks for sharing

Hoffy
16-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm looking at the Motorola HF850 Anybody got any feedback on it?
I have a Motorola A1000 and have the HF850 installed. It works well. At least if you use all Motorola then they cannot flob you off if you have problems.

The only problem was where to mount the control panel. I ended up sticking it next to the rear demister button under the passenger A/C control knob. It fitted well and the wire could be run through the centre compartment like you did for the iPod cable.

BiLL|z0r
16-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info re: the interface cable port. Great review. I'd certainly get 1 if/when I get an IPod.
Also, does it only support that Ipod, or all IPod (mini, nano, video etc)

coyote
16-02-2006, 09:53 AM

Yes, but it is limited to only four playlists, and is slow to react to your steeringwheel/stereo commands. Also, the text on the iPod changes to a smaller font and is more difficult to read. There is also the option to use the iPod interface with full control using the clickwheel. This means the iPod works exactly as it normally would, with the added bonus of being able to use the steeringwheel controls to adjust volume, and go up and down tracks, but not playlists. The second option works much better for me.

If you want more detailed information, go to http://support.dension.com/downloads/icelink_plus_user_manual.pdf to download the user manual. This will tell you all the features of the product.

coyote
16-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I have a Motorola A1000 and have the HF850 installed. It works well. At least if you use all Motorola then they cannot flob you off if you have problems.

The only problem was where to mount the control panel. I ended up sticking it next to the rear demister button under the passenger A/C control knob. It fitted well and the wire could be run through the centre compartment like you did for the iPod cable.

Yeah, I was a bit miffed about where to put the unit. Have you got a photo of your setup that you can post for me?

coyote
16-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info re: the interface cable port. Great review. I'd certainly get 1 if/when I get an IPod.
Also, does it only support that Ipod, or all IPod (mini, nano, video etc)

Support for iPod generations include...
All 1G/2G models
All 3G/4G models
40/60GB Photo iPods (30GB w/ docking cable)
nano

coyote
25-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Those of you who were interetsed in getting one of these for your Euro (03-05), there is one on eBay which may go pretty cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DENSION-ICE-LINK-PLUS-I20-HONDA-R2-IPOD-CAR-KIT-BRAND-N_W0QQitemZ5870132782QQcategoryZ58350QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

This is exactly the unit I got, but for about the third the price (bugga!) Mind you, there's two days of bidding left though. Still, it could save you a fair bit...

jjmason
13-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey, where did you get the chrome door scuff trims from ??????

coyote
14-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey, where did you get the chrome door scuff trims from ??????

From a company called Burg Design in Moorabbin. www.burgdesign.com.au, or call (03) 9555 9277. $149.00 for the set (4).

EuroDude
21-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Support for iPod generations include...
All 1G/2G models
All 3G/4G models
40/60GB Photo iPods (30GB w/ docking cable)
nano

It also works with 5th gen iPod Video as well :thumbsup:

zuiko
23-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Just a question for people who've installed the Dension.

Can you control the iPod directly and select songs with iPod itself or do you have to use the Head Unit and playlists only?

I've ordered one and hope that direct control is still possible. They're on special by the way.

Cheers.

coyote
24-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Just a question for people who've installed the Dension.

Can you control the iPod directly and select songs with iPod itself or do you have to use the Head Unit and playlists only?

I've ordered one and hope that direct control is still possible. They're on special by the way.

Cheers.

I covered this already on page 1:

Yes, but it is limited to only four playlists, and is slow to react to your steeringwheel/stereo commands. Also, the text on the iPod changes to a smaller font and is more difficult to read. There is also the option to use the iPod interface with full control using the clickwheel. This means the iPod works exactly as it normally would, with the added bonus of being able to use the steeringwheel controls to adjust volume, and go up and down tracks, but not playlists. The second option works much better for me.

If you want more detailed information, go to http://support.dension.com/download...user_manual.pdf to download the user manual. This will tell you all the features of the product.

zuiko
24-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Coyote, thanks for the link. I agree that second option is much better.

I've just ordered one online and will await it. Now I need to brush up on install tips/and threads. Sounds like one just needs to be careful in prising out panels and unscrewing things.

I got the cradle option but maybe the cable was better to hide it in the centre console box.

Its on special so I got it for $174 US shipped via express post.

I was also thinking of getting the 3 source Dension selector but apparently its been discontinued and a new product will be replacing it very soon. The old one had a manual switch but the newer one operates more cleverly through the console somehow so I'll wait for that to come out. I want to connect up my phone when driving for example.

coyote
25-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Coyote, thanks for the link. I agree that second option is much better.

I've just ordered one online and will await it. Now I need to brush up on install tips/and threads. Sounds like one just needs to be careful in prising out panels and unscrewing things.

I got the cradle option but maybe the cable was better to hide it in the centre console box.

Its on special so I got it for $174 US shipped via express post.

I was also thinking of getting the 3 source Dension selector but apparently its been discontinued and a new product will be replacing it very soon. The old one had a manual switch but the newer one operates more cleverly through the console somehow so I'll wait for that to come out. I want to connect up my phone when driving for example.

The installation is really easy, if you need a hand PM me and I'll be able to help you out. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to make sure you don't leave the iPod in the car when you're not in it. Keep it out of sight. I got lazy and left it in the cradle and I got robbed. See my post here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40359

zuiko
29-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I have become stuck bigtime.

I haven't got the PDF and the central box is stuck in an ungodly position. I can't for the life of me get it out.

Could you email me the PDF for installation please though I think I've bent things out of all shape trying.

Thanks.

EuroDude
29-03-2006, 05:17 PM
The large central box just under the radio? Yep thats a pain to take out.

You have lifted the gearstick surround and removed the ash tray compartment out first yeah?

The central box will only come out when the lid(door) is closed. Its all in the technique ;)

With the center box, OPEN the lid and you need to push both the left and right sides in the box (push the center of the sides), and try to get a grip and pull it outwards so the bottom of the box becomes loose (you may need to pry the bottom of the box up a bit so it comes loose). Then you need to CLOSE the lid and pull the top of the central box. It will then slide out with not much force - but you need to jiggle it around. Dont force it too much otherwise you could break something.

zuiko
29-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Anyhow after some cursing and pushing prodding I managed to somehow get it out. My hands are way to big to get under the box so if you have big hands it might be hard. I found like stated above that pushing left and right kind of loosened it and I saw that it was actually possible to get it out then.

I later found some instructions on the net that helped a *bit* too. The instructions say push up; but it should be up and out to really make it come out easy.

http://distantcreations.com/accordipod/

It went in easier than it came out and I probably made it needlessly hard by improvising and winging it to start with. The box got caught in a midway position that really looked bad.

It works well I have to say.

I tried it all out before re-assembly of the dash - and found it actually ran quite warm. I taped it up out of the way and taped in all the connections. The sound quality... well I'm ashamed to say I used this with the FM transmitter for a year in my old car! Night and day difference.

An Australian mob is gouging people with the price for these - with installation they're charging $450!!

You can get one of these for $174 US and install it yourself.

Have fun.

zuiko
29-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Here's another set of instruction that may help anyone else out...

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_4.htm

EuroDude
29-03-2006, 06:24 PM
They are $249 now - I picked mine up from St Leonards (Near North Sydney) from www.thecarkitcompany.com.au

And yeah, $450 installed is a punch in the mouth.

zuiko
29-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Well I was driving along and while handling the ipod stretched the cord a little too much and it loosened the connection of the main unit behind the console.

Came home. Had the box out within 10 minutes with no need to disconnect any wires.

Tightened things up and it worked again. I'm going to get a console mount of some sort but will obviously never leave the ipod in it when unattended. Looks like a mobile phone cradle and no one will be the wiser.

coyote
30-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Well I was driving along and while handling the ipod stretched the cord a little too much and it loosened the connection of the main unit behind the console.

Came home. Had the box out within 10 minutes with no need to disconnect any wires.

Tightened things up and it worked again. I'm going to get a console mount of some sort but will obviously never leave the ipod in it when unattended. Looks like a mobile phone cradle and no one will be the wiser.

Yeah, gotta be careful not to pull on the cord, it's pretty sensitive.

Regarding a dash mount, maybe you could go for the Console Mount which is less visible from other drivers or people walking past... see here: http://www.kioskcommunications.com.au/kiosk/ProductDetail.asp?tid=2&cid=23&mid=151&pid=1600

I'm thinking of changing over to this one. Only thing would be having to run the cord for the ice>Link up inside the centre console where ths gear shift is somehow... Keep us posted on what you do. Some pics would be good too, once you've got it sorted out.

zuiko
30-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Well I got in the car in the morning and it showed "CDC" and the ipod worked fine, until I noticed the disc info wasn't coming up. It should allow changing to 6 for menu changes.

As soon as I changed to radio I couldnt change back to CDC again, just like last night.

The iPod is receiving a charge from the cradle but no change to CDC with or without the iPod.

It's either the cable again, though I fastened them down with slack, or there must be something wrong with the little unit which I noticed last night immediately that it ran quite hot.

Maybe its a short circuit somewhere?

I'm going to give it one more shot tonight. I'll disassemble the wires fully - clean, reconnect and retape. If it fails again it's going back.

I'm pretty sure its faulty, because it starts playing playlists in repeat mode for some strange reason. Its set on 2V line voltage to the audio unit. Maybe that's too high but it should be on the default for Honda.

That's the problem with buying overseas I guess, warranty etc. is an issue.

EuroDude
30-03-2006, 09:17 AM
What iPod do you have? Maybe it needs a firmware update?

If its a 1st or 2nd gen (limited icelink functionality), then it may be a good idea to upgrade to a 3rd/4th/5th.

zuiko
30-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Its a 4G 60Gb

I don't think its the iPod because the manual says that the unit should display CDC with Track 99 etc on the display when an iPod is not mounted. Doesn't do this at all so its either the connection or a dud unit.

I'll give it another go with the connection as that's the most likely culprit. I'll also examine the wires carefully.

I've put the unit up behind the centre box behind the wires there but I might leave the unit accessible until I'm sure its working - drive around with the central box and ashtray section left out.

Not happy, but it could be worse.

EuroDude
30-03-2006, 10:19 AM
i dont think mine says Track 99 but it works ok. (iPod Video)

I guess what u could do is borrow an iPod from someone else and test it. Your iPod may have a problem.

Although the first thing I would do is update the iPods firmware.

zuiko
31-03-2006, 08:18 AM
I've researched the issue quite a bit and it seems that the Dension while a good unit overall for features etc. is flaky with the 4G iPod Photo models for whatever reason.

People with older or the newest iPods only have the well known slow response times etc, but iPod Photo models have more interfacing issues.

I'm not in a position to get a new iPod for another $450 or so when this one works perfectly otherwise.