PDA

View Full Version : EG Oil Leak. also Battery or Alternator?

Sir_vtec
15-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Hows it going people.

I ve got 2 probs again with this car its giving me major headaches now.

1. First prob is an oil leak whick is seen in the photo. The thing is i know where the leak is and i ve taken a photo of it but the only prob is i dont know what that leak part is whether its one of the gasket or something. Could someone be able to tell me what that part of the car thats leaking is called?
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2168/img65731dn.jpg
In this one its taken from under the car.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7781/img65795bf.jpg
Another closer look under the car.
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2995/img65838mv.jpg

2. The second prob is i dont know whether it is the battery or the alternator that is the prob to my car now starting. Lately i ve been jump starting the car and when the car has started i dont know whether the alternator is recharging my battery or not. I turn the car on at night and leave it for like 30 mins on then turn it off after that in the morning i try starting it it wont turn on. I assume its the alternator but one thing that makes me not 100% sure is that on the dash the light of the battery is on.... hence leaving me thinkin whether its the battery thats too old. i have no idea how old the battery is.

Btw heres a photo of the car... i got it recently but its given me headaches. yet i dunno why i still love it
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1726/img65859gj.jpg

EG30
15-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Hard to say exactly where it leaks from a photo. Could well be the front seal and/or the cam seal. If you do pull the front cover off and replace the seals you might as well change the timing belt while you're at it esp if the timing belt is a few years old already. Also check the water pump's condition at the same time.

Your 2nd problem sounds like the battery not accepting charge, check the water level of the battery ( assuming it's not the maintenance free type ) and top up with distilled water if req. Check the batt terminals for corrosion, if all good and still not charging you'll need a new battery. If you have a multimeter handy you should check the voltage of the batt to make sure it's the batt and not the alternator.

Samo
15-02-2006, 04:09 PM
the leak underneath the car is green ..
looks like coolant .. water is gone !!

Weq
15-02-2006, 05:21 PM
the leak is hard to say.

It looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking, but it could be the crank pully seal OR the water pump (if the lidquid is indeed green and its not just a optical illusion)

Secondly to test the altenator, put a muilt-meter on it. turno the car off and on and watch the voltage. WHen the car is on, the voltage should read a consistant 14.4-7volts. ANything over or under means the alternator is stuffed.. I got a spare if u need 1.

Nuttz
15-02-2006, 08:40 PM
another ghetto way to test the alternator is disconnect your battery when your motor is running..the alternator should be able to keep the motor running

ECU-MAN
15-02-2006, 08:44 PM
another ghetto way to test the alternator is disconnect your battery when your motor is running..the alternator should be able to keep the motor running

very ghetto

the best way to blow your altenator,

voltage spikes kill the rectifiers in the altenator

looks like your crankshaft seal could be leaking, you just never know, I have seen cam shaft seals cause that, even rocca covers.

I would tray another battery 1st, if your altenator light still comes on, then you have altenator issues.

EG30
15-02-2006, 08:47 PM

hahhahahahahahaha

one way to fry the electrics of the car by sending a huge spike into the whole electrical system and if the alternator isn't dead to start off with this would do it too.

ECU-MAN
15-02-2006, 08:57 PM
werd.....

Sir_vtec
15-02-2006, 10:03 PM
i have found out that its the battery thats too old and now all cells are dead. Got it checked and replace with new battery.

Still got the Oil Leak prob.

Cheers for all the ideas and thoughts guys. keep em comin'