PDA

View Full Version : my battery blew

ICV 73C
15-02-2006, 05:37 PM
hey guys i just need a few questions answered.

the car was normal all day. and then when i came to start it, the battery just blew up (not a big bang) and i was wondering what might be the cause of this ? its a 94' eh9 civic sedan. and what battery should i replace it with ?

(not sure if this is the right area to post in, still a noob)

essmangti
15-02-2006, 06:11 PM
ive heard when you recharge the battery too many times this can happen.

make sure you remove the battery and clean the area before u put new one in.

EuroDude
15-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Maybe the car has a + to - short somewhere (Amplifier for example)? Maybe you should check for continuity between the + and - cables (without the battery connected) using a multimeter.

Samo
15-02-2006, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=essmangti]ive heard when you recharge the battery too many times this can happen.QUOTE]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DLO01
15-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Repetative charging can cause this along with being an old battery. Even phsically carying a suseptable battery and/or a simple bump or twist can make it go bang. Its a short that causes it.

ECU-MAN
15-02-2006, 08:37 PM
batteries have acids in them, the acids create fumes which will float up bove that battery, useually you need an ignition source to make it go boom, like taking off the jump lead from a battery charger while the charger is switched on,
maybe your battery terminal was loose causing a spark. spark from a ignition lead perhaps.

just 1 posibility.

ICV 73C
16-02-2006, 05:03 PM
i charged the battery up and the took it for a spin and then came back and let it idle for 10minutes. i turned it off and tried to start it again but it doesn't work. is this all caused by the battery ONLY ? or is there other things to look out for ? fuse etc.. ?

Nuttz
16-02-2006, 05:12 PM
i remember one of my buddies had a civic coupe and the battery wasnt tied down and the battery would hit his bonnet sometimes. :) now theres a burnt mark on the underside of his bonnet. maybe have a look at that?

DNYALL
16-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Get an Optima yellow top battery, they are awesome. i have one in my car, hasn't let me down.

Paul1985
16-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, just get a new battery. I just bought one from supercheap for about $70 i think.
Its been going great and its been in there for about a year now, my car is the same as yours, a EH sedan.
Your battery most likely just went from age if you managed to charge it up and drive it for 10mins and then it just died again.

Saracen
16-02-2006, 05:55 PM
what the hell happened to my post? It was just as constructive as anything else in this thread.

dundas
17-02-2006, 10:41 PM
ok wat size should he replace it with? same as from factory or a bigger one if he is running a new audio system/alarm etc???

Paul1985
17-02-2006, 11:41 PM
ok wat size should he replace it with? same as from factory or a bigger one if he is running a new audio system/alarm etc???
Same size, i originally bought a larger one and it quiet simply didnt fit in the tray. Make sure u get a small slim one that fits. :D

ICV 73C
18-02-2006, 12:09 AM
alrite. thanks for the tips guys, i think all my answers have been covered. !! sweeet