PDA

View Full Version : opinions on this header?

michael_antoi
16-02-2006, 08:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Honda-D15-D16-Civic-88-00-and-CRX-93-Headers_W0QQitemZ4613143025QQcategoryZ50140QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have to buy a new gasket for my exhaust so it thought i might as well get this instead as it's pretty cheap.

i'm not so much looking for performance that much.

i'm just wondering about the build quality and how long it might last before it cracks etc..

essmangti
16-02-2006, 09:58 AM
forget that!

Go MUGEN instead!! :D

michael_antoi
16-02-2006, 10:00 AM
yer ok - it is my bday comin up

thanks bra...

EGB16A
16-02-2006, 02:53 PM
its on ebay and its shiney! it must be good

SiReal
16-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Well at least its from an aussie distributor. so if u do have cracking, then its easier to sort out. i'd still prefer to go to perhaps a trader here, beacuse at least their presence is known.

michael_antoi
16-02-2006, 02:54 PM
its on ebay and its shiney! it must be good

constructive opinion would be nice

yeah i asked about warranty so we'll see what he has to say

thanks mate

bennjamin
16-02-2006, 03:58 PM
looks like a X force copy (or the x force is a copy of that).

Still , noticeable results from the X force header on a few D series in this forum - more than anything just makes the car rev smoother , and more driveable.

Dxs
16-02-2006, 08:47 PM
ok.. everyone knows these things are crap.. but they are as cheap as chips and thats why people buy them.

I believe people have installed these monsta/xforce/obx/ssautochrome lalalalalla
and have lost power over the stock headers! Also there are a lot of stories about these cracking (but a lot of people just state this from hear say).

When you look for a good header you want high quality metal which is not thin, good welds, good internal flow and proper fitment.

I have never used a cheap manifold before. I have purchased one however for my old SRT Silvia. And it seemed heavy and solid and the welds looked good. However the internals of the of the manifold we not the smoothest. Like they didnt meet up nicely.. and were just grinded down to smooth them. I later sold the manifold.

Anyway i am saying these headers are prob crap... but things to consider include:
Firstly the ad says they will fit 2 different cars, i would check up on that to make sure they fit properly. Like check a reputable manufacturer and see if they have a product that is the same product code and fits both of these models.. if that makes sense.

Now look at the first and third pics.. see how the metal isnt shiny.. kinda looks grainy.. this is an indication of poor metal quality. A good header will be much smoother.

The gaskets also look cheap.. the old nissan boys with turbos always used to say they burnt out quickly.. so that is an indication of the products overall quality..

Also it doesnt look as though the bolts supplied are high tensile..

also there is a 3rd gasket.. the one with only one hole.. i dont think this is even usable.. i think u need a ring gasket.. So that gasket is pointless.. shows the manufacturers care/knowledge?

bla bla bla

michael_antoi
18-02-2006, 12:15 AM
thanks for that mate. just been looking around for a replacement exhaust manifold and i also found this

this also seems like some chip sh*t but i wanted someone to confirm it for me

i did ask the seller what brand it is so i guess he'll get back to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-304-RACING-SPORTS-HEADER-DEL-SOL-93-97-94-95-96-EG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQitemZ80388290 61QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Dxs
18-02-2006, 10:01 PM
more cheap shit..

basically mate.. there is nothing wrong with cheap shit.. if that is what you are content with..
just dont expect good gains or it to last as long etc etc..
you get what you pay for..

if want want something decent get a quality jap manifold

brands like 5zigen, RSR, Fujitsubo are all quality jap brands and range from 700 to 850AUD (not cheap like the other headers though)
then u need a gasket.. honda genuine is like 70 bucks
might need some new nuts and maybe a few studs if u remove them etc.. studs are like 7 bucks each and u can just use steel nuts from a bolt shop.. for like 3 bucks for 9 for self locking ones

so yeah it is up to you in the end..

i guess even with the cheap manifold u will still save weight.. and a lot of people are happy with the xforce and the other cheap branded manifolds

good luck

JDMTMY
21-02-2006, 02:26 AM
i wouldnt trust any cheap ebay stuff....it would either not give you the performace that your after or it may stuff up within 3 weeks or so. but its really up to you ay. give it a go and let us now how it is if your really keen. id personally spend the extra and go a jap brand. mainly because they are proven to last and work.