PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket cams with 2 layer head gasket

mrdaveo
16-02-2006, 10:21 PM
HELLLPP!

I wanna get a stage 1 cam of anytype aftermarket cams.. perfer Skunk2 or Toda (spec a)... the problem is.. I have a spoon head gasket.. which its 2 layers.. and ppl say most of the aftermarket cams requires 3 layer gasket to stop from the valves hittin the pistons..... will the stage one be okay .. or forget the stage 1 cams n keep my civic type R cams?

thanks

Daveo

edw-R
16-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I had spoon gasket with toda B cam. No problem at all !!

Slow96GSR
17-02-2006, 01:31 AM
With out adjustable cam gears new cams will only give you little gains. I see no reason a stg1 needs a different head gasket. I have a thinner (by.08") head gasket and stg2 cams and nothing is hitting. Honda motors are a non-interference motors, so it takes a lot to make contact between the valves and pistons.

JasonGilholme
17-02-2006, 07:22 AM
i also read on todas site that you need new valve gear for ALL their cams now. Even Stage 1!. Have a check tho, i might be wrong.

SPEEDCORE
17-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda motors are a non-interference motors

Disagree.

VT3C
17-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I wanna get a stage 1 cam... or forget the stage 1 cams n keep my civic type R cams?

TODA spec A, JUN stage I, BC spec 1 etc are all only slightly more aggressive than ITR cams. your EK9 Cams are more aggressive than ITR so i'd say save your $ and keep the EK9 cams or get Spec 2 or better - bear in mind that spec 3's require high compression, ECU and definately valve train upgrades.

Spec A / Stage 1 cams DONT require valvetrain upgrade ONLY if you have type R valvetrain. if you have say a B16A / B18C, then even for spec A i'd reccomend valvetrain upgrade.. it'snot necesarilly the engine speed (RPM) that is the problem more than the extra lift and duration can alter the dynamics of the stock valvesprings and retainers.

For Example: TODA B's are considered (By TODA) to be the first upgrade in power over Type R cams. if you have Type R cams and then go spec A you will prob get a very minimal difference.