PDA

View Full Version : K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake Installed...

coyote
17-02-2006, 08:48 AM
I know there have been numerous posts on various CAI systems, but i just wanted to share with you the thrill I'm getting associated with the K&N Typhoon from Rocket Industries in Sydney.

Took me just under an hour and a half to install (thanks EuroAccord13 for your hints and tips).

The trickest part by far was removing the OEM resonator box through the wheel arch. There's one bolt that is near impossible to reach, especially if you have foglights and don't want to remove them.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake, and the instructions provided are easy to follow.

Initially I installed the SRI version, with the pod filter sitting in the engine bay, but figuered that it would only suck in hotter air than the OEM one, so I said "bugger it" and went with the full system.

I've done no other mechanical mods to the car, and the Typhoon alone makes the car sound frickin' awesome! Under load, it howls!

I rang rocket industries on Wednesday with my credit card number, and the kit arrived the next day! How's that for quick?! Beats waiting for it to arrive from the USA. One thing though; they've got none left in stock, but will be getting more, so get on the phone!! (02) 8825 1900.

Here's a pic:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/cozza75/KNCAIPod.jpg

stepanoz
17-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Nice mod how mutch?

coyote
17-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice mod how mutch?

I got a good price as Rocket Industries are a client of the company I work for, but I think the retail price is around $380 and overnight freight to Melb cost me $40 odd...

You might wanna call and check though...

PeZ
17-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Looks tidy, nice work..

Whats next on the agenda?

BiLL|z0r
17-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Any pics of the rest of the system behind the front?

How many rpm does the noise really kick in and can you actually hear the VTEC now as the Euro VTEC is so quiet.

coyote
17-02-2006, 09:53 AM

How many rpm does the noise really kick in and can you actually hear the VTEC now as the Euro VTEC is so quiet.

No unfortunately. I installed it at a mate's place (so i could use his tools) and forgot to take my camera...

coyote
17-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Looks tidy, nice work..

Whats next on the agenda?

Eibach Springs I reckon... don't really wanna do too much to it. I don't think the Euro Luxury needs much work.

SiReal
17-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Watch your stock dampers though!

coyote
17-02-2006, 09:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to answer 2nd question...

Under load, you can really hear it between 3500rpm and 5000rpm - she howls!

coyote
17-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Watch your stock dampers though!

Yeah, definitely...

EuroAccord13
17-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Good to hear you got it done :)

Here's some pics from my install for who wants to see it behind the bumper

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9445

BiLL|z0r
17-02-2006, 10:29 AM
How have both of you found the "butt dyno" with the Typhoon CAI and is there a loss of response down low?

EuroAccord13
17-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I've got the car on the dyno before, but that was with other mods...

With the CAI, the low end of the RPM range suffers. This can be felt by the response on the throttle from idle as well as my 60ft time on the strip (2000RPM launch) during a test and tune day with OzHonda at Heathcote..

SiReal
17-02-2006, 10:40 AM
This shouldn't be the case with a Panel Filter I believe. Is that correct, because the air pressure is maintained in the stock box.

Chris_F
17-02-2006, 10:44 AM
i thought the low down losses were a result of the length of the intake tubing... at low RPM with little sucking force its harder for the engine to overcome the restriction of "sucking through the straw" ?

coyote
17-02-2006, 11:20 AM
How have both of you found the "butt dyno" with the Typhoon CAI and is there a loss of response down low?

"Butt dyno"? Not sure I know what you mean...

Chris_F
17-02-2006, 11:26 AM
haha "butt dyno" - means can you "feel" a difference in accleration, ie in your BUTT haha

coyote
17-02-2006, 11:28 AM
haha "butt dyno" - means can you "feel" a difference in accleration, ie in your BUTT haha

Ah, lol, I can, but it could be psychological!

Chris_F
17-02-2006, 11:31 AM
ahwell either way, the CAI's sound damn nice :thumbsup:

BiLL|z0r
17-02-2006, 12:26 PM
This shouldn't be the case with a Panel Filter I believe. Is that correct, because the air pressure is maintained in the stock box.

That's what I'm lead to beleive as well. Are their aftermarket panels for the Euro yet, and even then are they actually an improvement over the OEM? Some panels & pods have been flow bench tested and show no improvement over stock.

In my Lancer I had plastic flexible CAI intake tubing from front bumper up to stock air box which had a K&N panel installed. I found this method to be the easiest to clean, it doesn't suck in hot air, no loss at low RPM due to same intake length and you could really feel the difference once you got moving and the air was flowing through better.
I had a K&N pod at 1 stage but it was in the engine bay which was so useless.

hengis
19-02-2006, 09:22 AM
hello coyote, nice work on the install
when you were chasing me down on glenferrie road, I could hear that K&N working its magic. First thing that came to mind was "TypeR", saw nothing around, than realized it was the 05 euro behind me lol.

good job!

coyote
19-02-2006, 11:19 PM
hello coyote, nice work on the install
when you were chasing me down on glenferrie road, I could hear that K&N working its magic. First thing that came to mind was "TypeR", saw nothing around, than realized it was the 05 euro behind me lol.

good job!

Cheers H3NG! It's certainly had some heads turning over the weekend! Hey, I forgot which springs you said you had installed. Could you tell me again? How much did they cost?

hengis
20-02-2006, 01:25 PM
thanks coyote
i've got some teins superstreets coilovers installed
they cost me roughly 1250ish
can't tell you what the ride height is, i just adjusted them..but they sit inside the guards as u can tell

remixed02
20-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Where did you get the Teins from? I take it you didn't get the upper pillow mounts with them?

Sorry I know it's off topic

hengis
20-02-2006, 05:55 PM
i got my teins through norm at wholehyper..definately recommend him
his stuff is pretty cheap, its sent through USPS and i got it in about a week
make sure you talk to norm about arranging the price so as you don't get charged importing fees etc (if your above the 1000AUD) threshold, cuz its a ~$350 fee on top if you do exceed that.

no it doens't come with pillow mounts, you just use your stock pillow mounts.

J-TODA
29-11-2006, 12:14 PM
awwww i want that nice sound LOL!!! hmmm hopefully get it set up afta first service...is dere a quick alternative eg...opening airbox?? ( not trying to take over post LOL!!! )