PDA

View Full Version : Type R 99-00 Front Lip - such a hassle

Alpine
17-02-2006, 04:32 PM
I didn't realise how much of a hassle it would be to get a panel shop to paint one of these for me and fit it to my car, even though I intend to supply the front lip myself (genuine Honda lip).

This is what I want done: to paint and fit a Type R 99-00 front lip to my Civic.

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/9849/p10100035sv.jpg

The first panel shop refused to do it, saying they only do insurance work, no private work - no exceptions. Fine...I shall take my business elsewhere.

The second shop was very reluctant to do it saying it is a hassle to fit because it is fiddly and sometimes they need to prime it two or three times before painting. He quoted $250 to paint and fit. This seemed excessively expensive...is it a fair price?? Is it really that much of a fiddly job to fit?? I didn't think it would be that hard, especially this place was a Honda recommended panel shop!!!

I gave up after this because it was past 4pm and these panel shops instantly close down at 4hr00m01secs and refuse to talk to anyone as they're more interested in going home.

So, what is a fair price for this work? Is $250 the average? It just seems alot to me. If people in Brisbane can recommend good panel shops and how much it cost them for a similar job, please tell me. Thanks for your help and advice.

Zdster
17-02-2006, 04:35 PM
That seems rather expensive (at least from the costs in Victoria).

You could spray it yourself otherwise I would continue to shop around.

Fitting the lip is straight forward and since it is OEM Honda should be easy to fit yourself.

|N|
17-02-2006, 04:45 PM
fittin it takes u 5min....so u only need to paint it really... paint it urself.. or pay no more then 100-150

CIVIX
17-02-2006, 04:53 PM
That does seem quite expensive.
I just had my front and rear lips fitted and sprayed as well as the side skirts, and all up it cost me $450...
if you're willing to travel down to the coast, I could recommend the panel shop...

mrwillz
17-02-2006, 07:05 PM
that sounds gay
why wudnt a panel beater paint a simple lip
its not like hard or nethn jus a lip

well i got myn done for 200 only coz my lip was 2nd hand on bad condition so they had to fix it up (also had a crack on one side) yes thats how dead my lip was
but ey look at it now

fitting ur lip one is like putting bread into a toaster

strafe
17-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I purchased a litre of 2 pack primer, paint and hardener for about $180.00. Enought to paint front lip, side skirts, rear number plate surround and grille. Plenty of paint left over for other jobs...

Got a friend of a friend to paint the stuff. Total time, around 5 hours (inc. prepping the panels, painting and polishing. $100 cash to him for his time and use of paint gun, materials etc.

I would buy the paint and get someone (back yard job) to paint the lip for you, leaves paint left over for future jobs (type r grille, rear lip, etc).