PDA

View Full Version : RDA Slotted rotors for EG Si

EG30
17-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Just bought a pair of RDA slotted rotors for my EG Civic, along with 2 sets of Lucas pads for the front and rear discs. These pads are good from ambient to about 600 deg C, and simliar to the Ferodo DS 2500 series. I've been using the Lucas pads on my racecar for the past 9 mths and I've been very happy with them.

Will let you guys know how I go with them on my Civic once I bed them in.

Tried to load a pic of the rotors and pads just now, but looks like I don't have the privilege to post attachments.

SPEEDCORE
17-02-2006, 11:50 PM
The RDA's don't look too bad for the price ay :thumbsup:

EG30
21-02-2006, 04:10 AM
http://img316.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brakepts8qp.jpg

bennjamin
21-02-2006, 04:18 AM
you just bought them...how come they are for sale ?

is this a product review or sale dude ?

EG30
21-02-2006, 04:23 AM

Product review, haven't said anything about them for sale. Will post a review once I've installed the lot on my car.

n/a
22-02-2006, 05:40 PM
The RDA's don't look too bad for the price ay :thumbsup:

how much are a pair? comparison to DBA?

EG5[KRT]
22-02-2006, 05:44 PM
they are a good rotor cheaper then dba by about $50 in some cases

and also offer slotted rotors that dba cant ....

bennjamin always jumps the gun .. premature posting :D

EG30
22-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Paid about $140 for the pair. Bought them from a fren who is a brake linings and rotors/drums wholesaler in Perth. They sell DBAs too, mainly the 4000 and 5000 series stuff for performance stuff, as their low end stuff is very simlar to the RDAs expect much more $$$.

destrukshn
22-02-2006, 08:48 PM
RDA's arne't too bad for it's money.
i bought my set for.. 200 though i think.
great stoppin, paired with bosche pads as well.
=)

huynh12345
22-02-2006, 08:55 PM
im doing a engine conversion some time in the future and i wanna change the drum breaks in my eg5 into slotted rotors
my mate knows how to do it but i forgot to ask him how much its all up for the disk conversion..
and thats my question how much all up for a decent front disk brakes and pads? is there more u gotta do to get better braking power?

EG30
22-02-2006, 10:01 PM
and thats my question how much all up for a decent front disk brakes and pads? is there more u gotta do to get better braking power?

That's is for now for me for this car, which will be plenty good enough for a stock engine and used on the street only. So far I only manage to get the stock set up up to around 220C on the front rotors after some hard driving on some hilly backroads at night so my slotted rotors+650C Lucas pads are plenty for now.

If I install a more powerful engine and use the car for track work, I would get some floating slotted discs around 280 mm maded up along with some Porsche rear calipers from the Boxster S and they are only about $500 each from Porsche new.

Don't forget you can install monster brakes on the EG for show, but the braking performance is limited by the amount of grip aval at the front wheels. Unsprung weight goes up as well, the big alum caliper might be lighter than the orig cast iron EG caliper but the bigger discs weigh a lot more.

spetz
22-02-2006, 10:51 PM
RDA might be cheaper but DBA has the DBA 4000 series which seems good

EG30
23-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Finished installing the slotted RDA rotors and Lucas pads tonight, bedding them in gently at this stage.

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slotdsc7mw.jpg

So far so good with good consistent bite and not much slot noise from the rotors, I had a pair of RDA slotted rotors also on my Merc Class and the slot noise under braking is a lot more noticeable ( but then the rotors are 320mm dia ).

Will start some hard braking in the next week or two and then a more detailed review for you guys.

hayashi_1986
23-02-2006, 11:36 PM
They're fine to use with stock calipers right? Just the pads have to be changed for the larger braking capacity yeh?

If so, I might go out n' buy some for the Vti some time soon.

Any ideas on what i have to do to get the rear drums converted?

Sorry to hijack the post, but it seems these RDA's are a steal :D

SPEEDCORE
24-02-2006, 07:14 AM
They're fine to use with stock calipers right? Just the pads have to be changed for the larger braking capacity yeh?

Fine to use with stock calipers YES.
Just have to change pads for larger braking capacity ....NO!

Replacement rotors alone(whether they are blanks/cross drilled/slotted) will not make your braking capacity bigger. The rotors are a giant heatsink, nothing more nothing less. The more material you take from them the less of a heatsink they become.... I guess you can draw your own conclusions from that info.

If you are not tracking the car.....you don't need slotted. Just get blanks.

iced
10-01-2007, 10:26 AM
ds2500 costs like 4x more than lucas
no way same as ds2500

ginganggooly
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Lucas pads are the worst pads I've ever used. Scary amount of brake fade through the national parks, and only good for one hot lap of wakefield. I'll never, ever, buy them again.

When i pulled them out, the pad material was crumbling, i've never seen a brake pad do that. The old OEM pads held up better for me.

silver_screen
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
you probably bought the wrong one.

i ran some lucas pads in my old 180sx track car... never had a problem.. they worn out quick fast thou, but apart from that they were good :)

Im running Endless pads on my rx7 and they are by far, the best pads ive ever used :)

JasonGilholme
10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
On my CRX I'm runnin Slotted RDA's all round the car with Endless Type CC-X Pads as well.

Outstanding braking performance. Never had anything better in any car and i haven't been out braked by anything yet. Its great being able to brake late with confidence while you watch the people behind you get smaller in the rear view mirror. :D:D

Zilli
11-01-2007, 02:47 PM
heey jason, how much did the rear discs cost comparatively to the fronts?

because i know the DBA rears are dearer than the fronts

JasonGilholme
11-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Can't really tell you off the top of my head. Can't really tell you at all actually. i just asked for RDA Discs and Type CC-X Pads for the whole car.

I think you can get the RRP price of RDA's website. Either that or pm some traders on OH. Do some searchin man, you'll be surprised at how much the price differes from trader to trader..

egSi
11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Trav sells RDA :p ;)

JasonGilholme
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Trav is the RDA man!

FYI: I got all my gear from trav. PM him for any details regarding the gear on my car.

90xsi
11-01-2007, 05:16 PM
they are a good rotor cheaper then dba by about $50 in some cases

and also offer slotted rotors that dba cant ....

for EG si/vti model slotted front rotors

DBA474sl/sr

because i know the DBA rears are dearer than the fronts

??? usually DBA front are more expensive then the rear as they are bigger.

EG30
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I buy my brake parts from my fren Nick who owns and runs Marleet in Perth which is a brake material wholesaler and he sells RDA/EBC, DBA, Lucas, Bendix, Ferodo range of products.

Often the RDA slotted rotors are slotted with a slotting machine in Melbourne from his supplier instead of slotted from factory.

I have a pair of RDA 320mm slotted rotors that are "after-slotted' for my AMG C Class. I actually requested for DBA rotors at first but they don't offer them for my application, I was skeptical about getting the RDA at 1st but I'm very impressed with their quality. Had them for 2 years and 35,000Kms now and definately no worse than OE ATE rotors.

If freight of the rotors weren't so $$$ I could easily source anything you wish at trade prices Zilli.