PDA

View Full Version : New Civic Too Big?

Adagio
19-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I was looking forward to the release of the 2006 Civic as I had read in Car UK magazine that it would be smaller than the present one. I was surprised when I received Honda Australia's "The Magazine" that the new Civic is 4,550mm long that is just 125 mm short of the already too large Accord Euro. I have always preferred driving small cars Fiat Abarth Bambini 650cc to Peugeot 205 GTIs and enjoyed their wieldyness. So am I a minority or do others feel that our cars are just getting too damn big.
Adagio :confused:

aaronng
19-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Different car sizes for different people. But I do think that they should make a car as small and light as the 205GTi while keeping the fun factor up. Pity the 206 GTi... OMG....

steve
19-02-2006, 07:38 AM
i was thinking the exact same jus the otherday... however its not jus the civic getting fatter its 99% of all the other vechiles gettin updated 2.

Every new model a car gets a little bigger, heavier and more luxurious than the last.

Kinda sucks

A.G.System
19-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Dont forget that we also have the problem that ever since the Yanks started designing the civics they have got uglier too.

But then again that is why honda invented the Jazz. Because people wanted a small car the size of the Classic Civics but with all the new Gadgets etc.

They didnt do a bad job but it wont be long before they bloat that to make more cabin space or something.

panda[cRx]
19-02-2006, 09:12 AM
import a civic hatch from the UK.... honda wont do it coz it's not financially viable to sell em here

AGS there is no need for more cabin space in the jazz, it already had more space and legroom over the 05 civic. the jazz is a great, functional lil car :thumbsup:

HILLuZ
19-02-2006, 09:26 AM
i agree, the jazz is a great car. there are pleanty of little cars on the market if thats what you like. I think they got the new civic just right. It definatly doesn't drive like a large car!

panda[cRx]
19-02-2006, 09:55 AM
yeah i thought the 05 civic was a nice package but the 06 shits all over it IMO

people are virtually lining up to take em for test drives at dealerships, i think they'll sell well

HILLuZ
19-02-2006, 10:13 AM
at the dealership i went to yesterday, a guy who had been there earlier in the day traded his practically brand new mazda 3 sp23 (had done 8,500km) in and drove away in a new civic.

i think the new civic is going to hurt mazda sales severly...

Zdster
19-02-2006, 12:48 PM
I still havent been to check out the new civic - but had noticed and commented on the size changes a while ago.

As I always saw it, the Jazz is similar to the old civic, the current civic is similar to the older generation accords and the new accord is just bigger again (although I dont actually think that it is to big IMO).

aaronng
19-02-2006, 02:35 PM
As I always saw it, the Jazz is similar to the old civic, the current civic is similar to the older generation accords and the new accord is just bigger again (although I dont actually think that it is to big IMO).
Yes if you are comparing the Thai Accord. The Accord Euro is actually smaller than the the Accord from the CD5 era!

NogZ
19-02-2006, 07:53 PM
i managed to get a look at a vti on saturday, i must say it has a very generous interior! i shouldve had a sit inside, oh well. One of the guys there was comparing the size against a camry.

Exterior, it looks slightly strange (for me at least, i like large-ish engine area), as the cabin area takes up a large portion of the whole car. But thats how they achieve such large interior area i guess.

i think the new civic is going to hurt mazda sales severly...

yowch

hondarox
19-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes, the Civic now has a longer wheelbase than the Accord Euro - 2700mm vs 2670mm.
If you want to know what poor cabin room is, just sit in the rear of the Lexus IS250. Gee, the media was right. There's practically no leg room in the rear for the left and right passengers. Also the transmission tunnel occupied the entire leg room space meant for the rear center passenger.

c1v1c
19-02-2006, 09:33 PM
my brother had a look at the new civic today. He already has plans to get one he said all it needs is a lip and the mugen dominators spoiler

Tofu
19-02-2006, 09:41 PM
how's the size compared to the integra dc5?

TypeG
20-02-2006, 11:49 AM
i find it too nice and too good

fasthonda
20-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Dont forget that we also have the problem that ever since the Yanks started designing the civics they have got uglier too.

Bingo !!! I totally agree.Because the yanks do things so much better than anyone else :rolleyes: they have a big say in the design.I sat in the Civic and it felt like I was staring at a bus dash!.The speedometer is too far in front of the driver, the dash is huge ,which has led to me to believe the interior had to be designed around the massive proportions of the dash.God, they could've made the Civic just as big inside and smaller outside without that drug induced designed dash.
I like the overall shape ,however the front looks like a design from early Korean cars,you will need to put a body kit on it in order to make it look half decent or dare I say the word "sporty".Which leads me to the question what is so sporty about the "sport" model answer : - NOTHING !!!.
I've waited and waited ,for a decently styled Civic and Honda again has come up short.
I think I might have to consider buying a European brand. :(

alink
21-02-2006, 01:50 AM
never too big..

Adagio
21-02-2006, 06:45 AM
I love my Accord Euro but wish it was 150mm shorter. Most of us travel with just one or two in a car so why do we need the extra size? I suspect it is all to do with status and impressing others. My wife & I travelled around France recently for 4 weeks in a beaut little Peugeot 206 diesel. Absolutely no problem with space for two 186cm people. There was, just enough space for our largish suitcases. It was much more fun being small and chuckable than say a Peugeot 407. The big plus was 4 litres per 100kms. I wondered about that dashboard on the new Civic perhaps it is huge to keep things in proportion for the American sized drivers.

HILLuZ
21-02-2006, 04:39 PM
well im a pretty tall guy and i appreciate the size (especially compared to my 4th gen prelude which doesn't really make use of space...at all!).

for me the space is excellent. i'm constantly carting around stuff for work and need the extra room, plus a bigger boot for my golf clubs would be awwwsome! :P