PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug lids lift back up

EuroDude
19-02-2006, 07:59 PM
D16A8 Civic Si '93

The problem is that my Spark Plug leed lids pop back up when I push them all the way down (Even when the engine is OFF and COLD). I can force them down, but they lift up when I let them go.

Actually its just three (3) of them that do it, the last one (near the timing belt) stays all the way down when I push it - I can hear the air pressure seep out of that small air-bleed hole when I push it. But I cannot hear the air come out of the bad three.

These leeds are new ones only a few weeks old (standard ones but they are non-OEM).
BUT the same problem used to happen with all four of my previous OEM Honda ones, for as long as I can remember...

[unrelated] I used to have a problem where they would pop ALL the way off when driving (causing dead cylinders and obvious power loss), but this was resolved by replacing the head seal.

Ive checked the air-bleed holes of all the lids, they are clean and exactly the same as the last lid which sits fine. I cant really see any reason why the holes dont bleed the air pressure,

Ive already tried replacing the Sparkies with brand new Honda ones.
Im using K20PR-L11 sparkies, and all of them screw in the same height.

The first three leeds all have a guide-mount near the lid, and so does the last one but thats further away and has more slack.
But ive tried pushing them in without the guide-mounts, with no luck.

Ive cleaned the spark plug holes in the head and around the lid base, and even jiggled and rotated the lids around to try and bleed the air out properly, but no dice!

Any ideas? - I mean its not really a problem as the spark leed contacts still make full contact, its just that contaminants/oil/dirt could make its way in through the side of the lids and fall in the engine next time I replace the sparky's.

:confused:

Slow96GSR
19-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Make sure the wires are the right ones for your car.

e240
19-02-2006, 10:53 PM
D16A8 Civic Si '93

The problem is that my Spark Plug leed lids pop back up when I push them all the way down (Even when the engine is OFF and COLD). I can force them down, but they lift up when I let them go.

Actually its just three (3) of them that do it, the last one (near the timing belt) stays all the way down when I push it - I can hear the air pressure seep out of that small air-bleed hole when I push it. But I cannot hear the air come out of the bad three.

These leeds are new ones only a few weeks old (standard ones but they are non-OEM).
BUT the same problem used to happen with all four of my previous OEM Honda ones, for as long as I can remember...

[unrelated] I used to have a problem where they would pop ALL the way off when driving (causing dead cylinders and obvious power loss), but this was resolved by replacing the head seal.

Ive checked the air-bleed holes of all the lids, they are clean and exactly the same as the last lid which sits fine. I cant really see any reason why the holes dont bleed the air pressure,

Ive already tried replacing the Sparkies with brand new Honda ones.
Im using K20PR-L11 sparkies, and all of them screw in the same height.

The first three leeds all have a guide-mount near the lid, and so does the last one but thats further away and has more slack.
But ive tried pushing them in without the guide-mounts, with no luck.

Ive cleaned the spark plug holes in the head and around the lid base, and even jiggled and rotated the lids around to try and bleed the air out properly, but no dice!

Any ideas? - I mean its not really a problem as the spark leed contacts still make full contact, its just that contaminants/oil/dirt could make its way in through the side of the lids and fall in the engine next time I replace the sparky's.

:confused:

Squeeze the boots as you push them downn and make sure the leads clip onto the plugs

bennjamin
19-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Squeeze the boots as you push them downn and make sure the leads clip onto the plugs

yup - there should be a firm "click" noise to the spark lead as it connects with the top of the spark plug - thats what holds the lead onto the cam cover.

EuroDude
20-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks, I'll try the squeeze trick.

EuroDude
21-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Tried the squeeze trick but no dice. I covered the breathe hole on the good boot but it still went in perfectly.

After some examination I noticed that the rubber rim in the good boot is like 1mm different to the three other ones.

I'll think i'll stick with OEM next time despite the cost :O

bennjamin
21-02-2006, 08:12 PM
if u need a spare set of d16a8 leads - pm me la

EuroDude
21-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Will do if I have any major probs with these ones.
thx