PDA

View Full Version : OBX D Series intake manifold?

hayashi_1986
20-02-2006, 01:11 AM
So whats the take on these manifolds? Are they good for any sort of gains at all?

I've been looking at intake manifolds and have been tossing around ideas of getting a set of the ones mentioned in the title, or the Skunk2 manifolds...possibly coupled with a Skunk2 66mm throttle body.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Cheerz! :D

locote
20-02-2006, 01:14 AM
THey are meant to be complete utter CRAP.
yes they are cheaper than Skunk2, Blox.
look at some of the american forums and do a search,
for a extra 100 you can get a skunk2, well worth it

Slow96GSR
20-02-2006, 03:45 AM
HAHAHA, they are the BIGGEST piece of crap! I put one on a friends car cuz he didn't want to pay $100 more for the Edelbrock manifold and well he ended up spending $600 to get the throttle body, IACV, and the IAT to fit/work with it. If he had listened to me in the first place he would have save $500. Just get a Skunk2 or Edelbrock. Well worth it.

The only thing from OBX that is any good is the cam gear sets. I use them on my car and have never had an issuse. Everything else, 3 other parts, I have ever used/bought from OBX have been trash. Don't use them. Save your money and buy quality parts or you'll pay way more in the end.

spardikis
20-02-2006, 06:16 AM
strange that there are so many problems with obx here in oz, are u sure that ur not reading forums that are way out of date? cause in nz they are popular as, the b series intake manifolds are just type R replicas... I do know that when they first came out obx were pretty bad but i had heard and thought that they had sorted their stuff out...

Slow96GSR
20-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Well I don't read forums for part advice. I ask people that have the part I want to get in person. Then If I get it I can form my own opinion. My opinion of OBX is they still have a lot of issues to work out. Last year at the performance show, SEMA, they have new designs and they still didn't fix a lot of the problems. I don't like 99% of the parts they make and I most likely never will. For the price it costs to fabricate the extra parts you need and to fix the problems you could buy 2 parts from a better manufacture. Well I don't read forums for part advice. I ask people that have the part I want to get in person. Then If I get it I can form my own opinion. My opinion of OBX is they still have a lot of issues to work out. Last year at the performance show, SEMA, they have new designs and they still didn't fix a lot of the problems. I don't like 99% of the parts they make and I most likely never will. For the price it costs to fabricate the extra parts you need and to fix the problems you could buy 2 parts from a better manufacture. I can't make you buy the better part but why not just buy the better part and not have to worry about fitment and the hassle of maybe sending it back for a refund.

As I said earlier the only part they haven't screwed up is my cam gears, but it's not like those are hard. The manifold I bought from them a few years ago had the coolant hole in the wrong spot, for both the ITR and GSR. Then the bolt holes were off. I thought I had ordered the wrong part but I checked the numbers stamped on it and they were for the GSR. As for the FPR it never worked right, either too high or too low and always leaked, even with new seals. My friends manifold didn't have the IACV and IAT mounts and had to be fixed, no it was the right part for his car. We ordered it twice. It's the little screw-ups they haven't fixed. It's like they don't care! We send them the design fixes and they ignore it. Oh well, there's about 6 different companies that are 100% better and cost $50-200 more. But to fabricate the parts and fix an OBX manifold is about $200-$300 depending on what you have.

Wow there's a book for you all!!

Weq
20-02-2006, 04:07 PM
OBX IM = crap..

ginganggooly
20-02-2006, 04:31 PM
this is a company that can't even make pedal covers that last. i think i'd stay far, far away from anything produced by OBX that is supposed to help with performance.

spardikis
20-02-2006, 06:00 PM
sounds like u guys have had some "pretty raw" deals.. but to true... i always buy class if i can...

hayashi_1986
20-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Well i've decided that i'll go with Skunk2 manifold and 66mm throttle body :D Anyone know of a good dealer who'd be able to source these at a decent price??

Cheerz!

Slow96GSR
21-02-2006, 01:40 AM
Ebay!

Weq
21-02-2006, 04:34 PM
dynodave hooked me up with my skunk2 pro manifold and TB.. hit him up!

hayashi_1986
21-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks Weq! :D