PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sub and AMP

dek
21-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Guys,

Lately I've been having problems with my sound system

While I'm driving, the things that are connected to my AMP, i.e. my sub and 2 front splits drop out .. and only my 2 rear splits are playing music .. the light on the tuner for the sub also drops out ..

About 20 secs later it comes back on and drops out again every 2-3 mins or so .. sometimes when i change songs it plays the whole song perfectly ..

ive checked the sub and its connected fine with the 2 wires ..

got any ideas ??

mj3610
21-02-2006, 04:19 PM
ur amp might be overheating and it cuts out to protect itself. what brand is it?

Muzz
21-02-2006, 04:28 PM
hey mate sounds to me like loose connection somwhere. im guessing the speakers that dont cut out run from the headunit?

It could be:
Amp power
Amp remote connection (turns amp on off etc.)
or bad rcas

first id check the rcas at the amp then at the headunit. with music playing wiggle the plugs round see if music cuts in/out, often cheap old rca's can become faulty, cutting in and out.

2nd id check the amps powercables. it makes this hard to do as it works fine most of the time but only cuts out here and there, if it permanently had cut out it would be easier to find the problem.

When it cuts out next quickly pull over and turn the engine off before it comes back in (id say the vibrations of driving cause a connection to come loose, so if you totally stoped all vibration while it has cut out hopefully it wont come back in).

with music still playing, while the amp has cut out, have a look and see if theres any power lights on your amp to show its on. if theres no light on, on the amp, it would be power or a faulty remote connection which switches it on.

undo the power and earth cable from the amp and check for power by VERY quickly sparking the cables together. No spark=no power then thats where the problem is. (you will probably blow a fuse in the powerline doing this but its like 10c for a new one. DONT do this if there is no fuse in the line, go and get one because its very important).

if there is power going to the amp, and still only the back speakers are playing then the problem must be in the amps remote connection. Check the connections at amp and Headunit

Slow96GSR
21-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Since it only cuts out on the fronts and sub and not the rear I know that it's not a power issue or the remote line, as then the whole system would not make a sound. This means it's an issue with the signal. Check all the rca's and the connections at the amp. Then check the speaker connections. If you still can't find the problem then it's inside the deck or amp with a solder connection.

dek
21-02-2006, 06:08 PM
yeh i forgot to give the information that the rear splits are connected directly to the head unit so thats why they keep playing

they are rockford amps and sub ..

next time it drops out ill check if the power light is lit on the amp .. that should give me more info ?

Kandy
21-02-2006, 09:48 PM
that happened to me before I put a new system in too!
sometimes it works and sometimes it didn't- sometimes when I vtec it starts working again...

I think it was the remote wire as the whole power to the amp was off but I didn't check it out before getting the new stuff put in.

J-MuN
21-02-2006, 09:52 PM
sometimes when I vtec it starts working again...

lol.

As others have said, check or change your remote wire, check all connections to ensure they are all connected properly.

VTECACCORD
22-02-2006, 07:57 AM
check the ground wire thoroughly, loose ground wire will cause lots of problems

dek
23-02-2006, 12:25 AM
all this wiring stuff is confusing

are most of you guys talking about the 2 wires directly connecting to the sub?

or the wires that are connected to the amp ?

TRU32U
23-02-2006, 02:19 AM
wires connected to the amp
should b big red and big black and little blue
make sure thouse connections are stable.