PDA

View Full Version : f22a question

2loud4u
21-02-2006, 04:30 PM
just wondering if anyone would know if u can make a h22a head and that fit on a f22a, and would it be possible and what would be required to make a vtec engine.

Eclipsor
21-02-2006, 04:52 PM
according to this (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18586&highlight=h22a+head+f22a) guy it's possible.

Details from his post:

the details are as follows ......
things you need.....
h22 head (complete intake manifold,distributer......and so on)
ecu for h22
h22 timing gear
h22 water pump gear
h22 exhaust manifold
custom hard water pipe (have heard you can use the h23 therm housing and f22a1 hard water pipe but not sure)
h22 timing belt
f23 head gasket
h22 intake gasket.......hell just get all the gaskets for the H except for the head
3 peices of wire about 5 foot long and 2 plugs for the VTEC solinoid and pressure switch
and wouldnt be a bad idea to put new bearings in the bottom end(first hand experience)
a friend
beer
patience
time
understanding wife or girlfriend
and some kind of service manual

thats about it i think as far as what you need the rest is just like a normal head job there is some mods you have to do to the head there are two oil returns you have to seal off and of course you have to run the wires for your VTEC but thats not hard ill post which pins on the ecu you need at a later time if anyone intrested and as for the water pump i hope you know someone with or that works at a machine shop you have to remove the gear off of the
H water pump and press it back on the F pump now one last thing is the power steering pump you can use the F bracket but you have to shime it and it only has 2 bolts in it know and youll need to take the old belt to your local parts house and get one a little longer for the H head is a little taller and be careful when you close your hood and i think thats about it ..........im not saying you want have to make a wire longer or do some bending and twisting here and there but dont let that scare you away.........if anything seems amiss or dont sound right i assure you it is this swap will work just be patient if you try it i promise you ,you will http://www.cb7tuner.com/confused.gif a couple of times and you will curse but its worth it in the end when you consider i only have about 300-350 dollars in this swap............boost is coming the header is already on the car waiting on a wastegate accuater........anyway GOOD LUCK and ill be glad to help when possible if anyones intrested

j-specAccord
21-02-2006, 04:56 PM
what a waste of time effort and probly dollars.
more sense to juz do the swap, probly be cheaper and more power

Eclipsor
21-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Well he reackons he did it pretty cheap. But I think it would be pretty hard to find just the h series parts you needed without just getting the whole half cut. However, it would have advantages for boosting with a lower compression ratio and the strong f series block.

But yeah you would want to have a lot of spare time and a passion for it.

j-specAccord
21-02-2006, 05:14 PM
good point, the F is a gem when turbo'd and tuned right, with the benefits of dual cams it would be a good swap if it wasnt so straining.
i would suggest an H swap and turbo that, you'd need a few extra parts i.e sleeves, taller head gasket for lower comp, bigger injectors, preferbly an aftermarket ECU, a very good tune and it will anhiliate. if your thinking NA :thumbs up: then dont bother with this swap, the F block doesnt have high enough compression to make enough power IMO

2loud4u
22-02-2006, 02:00 PM
cheers guy i was just interested cause i can get a h22 head for $350, but it sounds like too much hassle, but thanks anyway

ECU-MAN
22-02-2006, 03:01 PM
f22 bottom end isnt the strongest

saxman
22-02-2006, 03:08 PM
good point, the F is a gem when turbo'd and tuned right, with the benefits of dual cams it would be a good swap if it wasnt so straining.
i would suggest an H swap and turbo that, you'd need a few extra parts i.e sleeves, taller head gasket for lower comp, bigger injectors, preferbly an aftermarket ECU, a very good tune and it will anhiliate. if your thinking NA :thumbs up: then dont bother with this swap, the F block doesnt have high enough compression to make enough power IMO
why on earth would anybody do the work to sleeve a block, and then do something as stupid as installing a taller head gasket to lower the comp?

if you want to lower the comp, you want to install new pistons... why would bother sleeving the block with stock pistons/rods anyway?

h22a accord
22-02-2006, 04:18 PM
why on earth would anybody do the work to sleeve a block, and then do something as stupid as installing a taller head gasket to lower the comp?

if you want to lower the comp, you want to install new pistons... why would bother sleeving the block with stock pistons/rods anyway?

that my friend gets a PQ point!

j-specAccord
22-02-2006, 06:30 PM

to save money, sleeves are not as expensive as pistons and the H22 sleeves are weak when it comes to boost.
it was an idea not a suggestion, if i were turboing my H of course i would purchase lower comp pistons thats a no brainer but if some one is intending on keepin the stock internals (dont ask me why) its an alternative. it wasnt the best of replies but it wasnt the stupidest either, i just cleared up what i was thinking

saxman
22-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I would LOVE to see where you're getting sleeves for less money than pistons

j-specAccord
22-02-2006, 07:01 PM
no need to be a smart ass. i was certain you can get sleeves cheaper than pistons, show me a price list and i will stand corrected.
sleeves would be the first internal purchase for a H before turboing because the stock sleeves dont hold well with aftermarket pistons anyway, so in all fairness what i said was a good suggestion bar the gasket as a comp lower, which was an 'alternative'

saxman
22-02-2006, 07:11 PM
not trying to be a smart ass... seriously curious what gave you that idea, sorry if it came off that way.

but yes, as far as I'm aware, with the h22, you'll need to sleeves with stock internals, it would just be absolutely pointless to sleeve the block without changing the pistons/rods.

There are a lot of people that think that lowering compression via a headgasket is a good idea for turboing... figured this was just another case of that

j-specAccord
22-02-2006, 07:18 PM
forgivven.

no, no way.
that is the ghetto way, hence 'alternative'
it is pointless to take apart the block only to sleeve and not piston. to anyone attempting it i would always suggest pistons, sleeves, ECU, injectors, fuel pump, shot peen and very good tune. anything less and you will most likely get detonation, you would get alot of knobs in US since almost every honda is snailed over there lol