PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand service intervals!

e4gleeye
22-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi, I tried doing a few searches and came up with nothing. This is a wall of text post so bear with me.

My car is at 8,500km but its due for the 10,000km/6 months service. Should I carry on the service based on the calendar date or ignore it until 10,000km? I'm asking this because I'm originally Indonesian and over there regular maintenance is done purely based on distance travelled or if you rarely use your car, it's should only be done at least once a year. As far as I know, all manufacturers do that over there & that's also the case with my dad's current 3 Hondas. So why does here in Oz there's this every 6 month requirements?

An extra condition to my car that might not apply to many of you is that its used only 8 months in a year. I'm in Indonesia on the other 4 months so I stow the car in the garage with disconnected battery & covered from dust. On my previous cars, I do the every 6 months maintenance every time I got back from Indonesia so it always got "checked up" after its long sleep.

Another question is that where should I do my service? I got the impression that Honda dealership rips people off because my friend's service bill amounts to the $600's for some reason (She got a Jazz). I live in Melb. CBD and I bought my car at John Blair Honda but reading the forums, the impression I got is that maintenance at JBH is not cheap. So I plan to just bring it to Robert Lane Honda which might also be as expensive as JBH, but at least they pick up & deliver my car for free, no need to go to their place... Or is there any good place around Southbank that you can recommend for cheaper maintenance? There's a local Ultratune but I don't really know how good they are.

Phew, that's a lot of text, and might confuse you guys, ask me questions if you're not clear about anything...

JasonGilholme
22-02-2006, 10:21 AM
couldn't be bothered reading your entire post. lol

Basically its which ever happens first. If your car reaches 10,000 kms before 6 months then you get it serviced. If 6 montsh is reached you must get it serviced even if you have only done 2 km.s

e4gleeye
22-02-2006, 10:25 AM
But why? A Honda here = A Honda in Indonesia. Why does Honda have the 6 month service requirement (or 12m/18m etc.) here while in Indonesia none of the manufacturers do this? I'm trying to find the justification...

panda[cRx]
22-02-2006, 11:43 AM
couldn't be bothered reading your entire post. lol

Basically its which ever happens first. If your car reaches 10,000 kms before 6 months then you get it serviced. If 6 montsh is reached you must get it serviced even if you have only done 2 km.s

well you don't HAVE to but according to honda service scheduling you should.

first service about $50 - honda pays for the labour, you just pay for oil and washers n stuff

servicing goes in a sequences of 2yrs/40,000km
- 10k - Intermediate Service ($240-$280 depending on what needs to be done and where u go)
- 20k - Major Service ($380-$480 depending on what needs to be done and where u go)
- 30k - Intermediate Service ($240-$280 depending on what needs to be done and where u go)
- 40k - Full Major Service ($550-$650 depending on what needs to be done and where u go)

so for example your 80k service is a full major and your 90k would be an intermediate

dealerships DO vary in servicing prices however that can be coz some just do whatever is listed in the book and some do extra things as well

e4gleeye
22-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Just made a few calls. My Celica goes for $120 for intermediate service at dealership, this Euro goes for $210...

panda[cRx]
22-02-2006, 11:52 AM
honda servicing is pretty involved compared to other makes.
for $120 retail price you wouldnt be getting much =/

JasonGilholme
22-02-2006, 12:52 PM
']well you don't HAVE to but according to honda service scheduling you should.

Im not sure with honda, but with other car companies they void your warranty if you do not get it serviced at the correct time. Is that the go with hondas??

panda[cRx]
22-02-2006, 12:57 PM
^ it depends how bad you are. they are not gonna void your warranty if you service a month late or are out by a 1000kms or something.

like even this week we have a customer with a rooted transmission, he was 100,800kms hence being 800km past his warranty period. honda would usually cover that sort of thing as good-will however the stooge wasn't regularly servicing so there is a good chance honda australia will knock back his warranty repair claim

and to the dude that started the thread DON'T GO TO ULTRA TUNE..... you save a few bucks with your servicing but i can almost guarantee you'll be running back to a honda dealer in 18 months or so coz your car is rooted:thumbdwn:

and they reason your mate's jazz service would have been $600 is coz it would have been a full major service (which normally run between $550-$650)

as for WHERE to service: it's odd that John Blair won't pick up your car seeing as you bought it from them yet Robert Lane is willing to.

EG5[KRT]
22-02-2006, 06:22 PM
well whre i work its recommended service every 6 months but definate service every year

they recommend 6 months just to check up on the car and basically change oil n filter

every major for each year is a more thorough check up on the car and oil n filter.. thats first year neways

then 18 months is intermed again

and at 24 months its a big major service.could rack up ur bill to $800 because its a full change of all fluids and thorough check over.

panda[cRx]
23-02-2006, 12:12 AM
']well whre i work its recommended service every 6 months but definate service every year

they recommend 6 months just to check up on the car and basically change oil n filter

every major for each year is a more thorough check up on the car and oil n filter.. thats first year neways

then 18 months is intermed again

and at 24 months its a big major service.could rack up ur bill to $800 because its a full change of all fluids and thorough check over.

lol shouldnt be 800 unless there is something f*cked on the car

and u just repeated exactly what i said about service intervals lol

EG5[KRT]
23-02-2006, 05:49 PM
yeah well i work for peugeot and their 2 year major service is 800 without nething else wrong....