PDA

View Full Version : upgrading brake system (EF)

n/a
22-02-2006, 06:32 PM
hey guys, thinking of upgrading my OEM brake system to either a prelude or ITR setup.

anyone done any of these before or know of any problems or ease of fitments?

also cost wise and parts wise.

thanks.

dc-r
23-02-2006, 07:07 AM
hey, me too. i am trying to convert to CTR brake system into ek. i think part only coast me $ 1500. this price is not cheap but it is ok price... (ppl said hard to get). anyway, i was looking itr brake system, coatation was around $ 2000. (2nd hand) my point is EF is so much lighter car so i dont think you need too big brake system. i say EF has 4 stud, recomendation is 4stud patton medels... such as ek vti-r or integra vti-r.it is much cheaper and good brake too. or ppl said CRV Has good brake system as well.

hope this help little... :)

type one
23-02-2006, 07:23 AM
hmmm ITR setup in an EF pretty hardcore unless u running some big engine...

there has been plenty written on this topic... do a search.

n/a
23-02-2006, 03:43 PM
yea i know what you guys are saying. i've been told that EK4 setup would be big enough, but i may be heading to towards alot of power in the long run so that's why i was thinking of prelude or ITR brakes.

so $1500-2000 for typeR parts? that's everything you need? that's a bit cheaper than i expected.

type one: i could really find anything related to the EF..

Kawasaki
23-02-2006, 03:46 PM
could always change to ef9/8 brakes

ekslut
23-02-2006, 04:03 PM
For that much look at www.fastbrakes.com (http://www.fastbrakes.com)

You can get yourself a good setup there for the same price as a ITR setup.

I've upgraded mine to DA6 front setup, and EG5 rear setup. But I will be upgrading again to a wilwood kit from fastbrakes.

n/a
23-02-2006, 07:30 PM
fastbrakes prices are in US dollars?

revNhevN
23-02-2006, 08:07 PM
im thinking about changing my itr brake to 300mm legend brakes. will let u know if i decide to sell.

crx_boy7
23-02-2006, 08:30 PM
were the hell did u get quoted those pricer from!!!!!!?????
civic sir or DC2 sir/vtir breaks are around $400
for $2000 you could get willwood or second hand brembos
or a whole 5stud conversion!!!!! from a ITR or CTR
you could also use the 4 stud prelude breakes but the crv is 5stud(i think) however the calipers will fit directly on the preude rotors this u can find for like 600 or even less

i wouldnt worry about rear breaks as they would probably just cause u to oversteer while breaking

if you cant find any then ill sell u my EG sir front calipers for $300 and get some rotors for a vtir DC2 or EK and ur done!!
you can also replace ur master cyl to a larger bore one for around $150-$300
if u want more info on the master cylinders that will fit without changing the break booster then mp me

n/a
23-02-2006, 08:30 PM
legend brakes!?!?!? omg! i wish..

btw, anyone confirm if EG VTi Sedan rotors are the same as EK4?

n/a
23-02-2006, 08:33 PM
if you cant find any then ill sell u my EG sir front calipers for $300 and get some rotors for a vtir DC2 or EK and ur done!!

for the front pair i assume?

ekslut
24-02-2006, 07:26 AM
fastbrakes prices are in US dollars?

Yeah, its in US dollars.

The setup I got though (F: DA6, R: EG5) cost about $500 for the whole front & rear brakes (full assembely). And it feels strong enough to pull up my B16a ED. Only reason I will be upgrading is because I got myself some more power, and its a track car.

OB
24-02-2006, 07:40 AM
btw, anyone confirm if EG VTi Sedan rotors are the same as EK4?

No.....

dc-r
24-02-2006, 07:41 AM
i think n/a is wanting to do conversion. not just upgrading brake... i think...
amd i right ???

(were the hell did u get quoted those pricer from!!!!!!?????
civic sir or DC2 sir/vtir breaks are around $400
for $2000 you could get willwood or second hand brembos
or a whole 5stud conversion!!!!! from a ITR or CTR)

that's right. i am talking about conversion. and it is start from $ 1500..
i think conversion is better then up grande rotor size and mod the carliper braket.

cheers

Kawasaki
24-02-2006, 07:56 AM
just get a crx si rear setup, same as eg afaik, and then get either da6,ef8/9 front brakes (DA6 is meant to be the better of the 2)

[[d a n n y]]
24-02-2006, 08:27 AM
he's car is an Si.

already has disc brakes all round.

he wanst to upgrade from that

Kawasaki
24-02-2006, 09:42 AM
silly me brain no work :)

]']he's car is an Si.

already has disc brakes all round.

he wanst to upgrade from that

Bowzer
24-02-2006, 10:41 AM
The big brake setup on a EF is a little bit different to the EG/DC2 chassis.

You can run the 11.1 inch rotors found on the 4th gen Lude/ 96spec ITR provided you get them drilled to 4 x100 alternatively you can buy Brembo 11.1 inch blank rotors and get them drilled for your application.

I suggest you upgrade the front to the ITR/Prelude VTEC calipers but in order for them to fit you need the correct knuckle and hub assembly from CRX SiR/DA6. I havent seen the hub assembly from a Civic Si but if the orginal hub uses 10'' rotors then the upgrade will be relatively easy as you will most likely need the caliper mounting bracket, caliper and the 4 x100 drilled 11'' brake rotor for it to work.

Depending on the caliper mounting bracket you get with the caliper, you may have to get it machined to clear the rotor.
Brake Bias:
Master Cylinder you should look to getting the 15/16 Master Cylinder found on the 3rd Gen Prelude Si. The Civic Si may have that already if not then you can pick one up from the local wrecker quite cheaply. With the bigger rotor at the front with the smaller master cylinder you will need to work the pedal more to get the brakes to bite more, hence the need to upgrade to the bigger Master Cylinder.

Change the prop valve to a DA6 from memory should have 40/50 on the housing, it will adjust the brake bias to have a bit more hydralic pressure towards the rear.

The rears dont really need to go bigger, change the brake pads to a better compound at the rears and you should be fine.
The Cost:
Calipers and Rotors ~ $250-$350
DA6/CRX SiR Knucles and hubs ~ $100-$150
4x100 drilling ~ $75
Honda Brake Fluid x 2 ~$15
Machining ~$100

optional Motul RBF600 ~ $25 per litre, s/s braided brake lines

With this setup if you need more braking power, your list of options are quite good if you want to get 4-pot calipers or even the Spoon Calipers.

I have put this setup on a EF CRX with DA6 knuckles. ITR/Prelude VTEC brakes at the front and stock setup at the rears with EBC Greens. It has seen multiple track events at Philip Island and Winton without any issues.

crx_boy7
25-02-2006, 12:26 PM
NO ONLY THE LEFT SIDE NOT A PAIR!!!!

just kidding ofcourse its a pair
yea only front mabe you could get the breaks off ekslut as theyr probably very similar and come with the rotors too(i assume)

crx_boy7
25-02-2006, 06:11 PM
there is a honda legend sittinng at pick and payless(the section where u pay $2 to enter) i think its an early 90s model. theyl probably give u the set for 300-400 just tell them its from an econovan or sumthin :)

crx_boy7
25-02-2006, 06:28 PM
i could be wrong but is it really a good idea to get a prop valve which adds more preasure to the rear on such a light chassy? especially considering the wheelbase and weight ratio(front/rear)?

mi car already likes to drift through corners where i apply the breaks and i dont evev have an lsd

n/a
25-02-2006, 10:54 PM
yea guys, i maybe doing a conversion, but most likely just adding a snail. hence the need to upgrade brakes. i was hoping to keep the 4x100 stud pattern, too much hassle to change wheels too.. i'm a poor man.. so i need a poor man's brake upgrade!

thanks bowzer, that's heaps useful info! that rotor cost is for the ITR/prelude rotors or for Brembo 11.1 inch blank rotors?? don't suppose you did that setup yourself did you? so around $600 and i've got myself enough stopping power for around 140-150kw and an extra 50 or so kgs?

btw, i was thinking maybe of just buying a brake package. it's front fastbrakes.com

This package has the 11 inch front upgrade combined with the rear 11 inch upgrade in one kit. Front 11 inch upgrade contains the 11 inch slotted & dimpled rotors, remanufactured Integra calipers, adapter kit, front braided steel brake lines, performance pads. Rear kit has the slotted & dimpled 10.93 inch rotors and the rear adapter kit. Regular price of the kits if bought separately is $740, package price is $665. NOTE: This package can ONLY be used on 1990-1991 CRX Si or on 1988-1991 cars that have had rear disc brakes from the 1990-1993 Integra or CRX Si installed. 1990-1991 CRX Si

btw can my Si have this rear setup? i have no idea on my rear disc brakes..

n/a
06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
ok guys, so if i was to put 11.1" rotors on my car and ITR calipers what will i need besides a bigger master cyclinder?

i don't know if this changes anything but i am running 96 ITR suspension on my car.

jrakasp
06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
how much power output u looking at?

n/a
07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
how much power output u looking at?

??? i would like to end up with around 120-140fwkw. but that's heaps later on.
just that the opportunity has come and i'll like to take full advantage of it :D

n/a
07-03-2006, 11:29 PM
ok guys, so if i was to put 11.1" rotors on my car and ITR calipers what will i need besides a bigger master cyclinder?

i don't know if this changes anything but i am running 96 ITR suspension on my car.

bump bump! i need help with this guys!

hotboxcivic
12-03-2006, 02:58 AM
you could go with just your stock master cyclinder, although it would be "nice" to upgrade to the ITR one.

also from a few guys from the states, recommend that you change the knuckles to DA knuckles, though it's not needed. also you need to machine the caliper as the back part will have trouble fitting.