PDA

View Full Version : how to wire 2 amp?

Sitwy
23-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I have seen some relate post b4, but I couldn't search it! just a very quick question!
what I need to get to wire 2 amp in my car! currently running one amp.
I need to get 1 to 2 power disturbutor or something and where I can buy it?

Slow96GSR
23-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Ebay in the USA look up Bag-Boy. I deal with him all the time and he has the fastest shipping and best prices. HERE! (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbagQ2dboy)

chan
23-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Ebay in the USA look up Bag-Boy. I deal with him all the time and he has the fastest shipping and best prices. HERE! (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbagQ2dboy)

a no brand name one costs only $20 in Australia. :D

yup u will need a distribution block to split the positive wire if and only if the battery to amp wire is big enough for the job. otherwise, u will need another battery to amp cable or upgrade to a bigger one. so u have to work out how much power is required and how long the wire will be in order to find out what cable size u need.

mj3610
23-02-2006, 01:58 PM
dont get a distribution block cause its a waste... im asuming u have a 8guage power cable running to ur amp from the battery and ofcourse its fused. what u should do is upgrade that to a 4 guage cable and run it to the boot, then split it into 2x 8guage cables and solder them together in a 3 way. theres no point in a distribution blok its onli for those that wanna show off their systems in shows etc and for display...
and the fused ones wont make a difference either cause ur amps are fused anyway...

Sitwy
23-02-2006, 02:00 PM
so do I need 2 seperate fuse with power wire in order to go into 2 amp?
Where about in melbourne I can get the 1-2 distribution block to split the positive wire?

mj3610
23-02-2006, 02:04 PM
u can either run 2 of the power cables u have now or just get a thicker one and split and solder it in ur boot... u dont need a distribution block, ur amps are fused... but u might have to change the fuse near ur car battery to a bigger one if u get thicker wire, a 60amp will do...

aka_NSX
23-02-2006, 03:21 PM
dont get a distribution block cause its a waste... im asuming u have a 8guage power cable running to ur amp from the battery and ofcourse its fused. what u should do is upgrade that to a 4 guage cable and run it to the boot, then split it into 2x 8guage cables and solder them together in a 3 way. theres no point in a distribution blok its onli for those that wanna show off their systems in shows etc and for display...
and the fused ones wont make a difference either cause ur amps are fused anyway...

distribution block is not a waste its much safer rather then solder, its not many people is good on solder specially you are soldering 4 gauge + 2 x 8 gauge is going to be very thick its very hard to get the solder right into the inner side, but thats only my opinion and for the fuse its depends on your amp, if the amp has got 40A each, you better go for 80A fuse at the Battery side but if your amp is only has 20A each you can just use 40A on the Battery side

Sitwy
23-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks all of you ^.^ its help a lot!
but then how about the ground and pre amp wire! I can just spite it from the existing amp to the new one ? or any safety way to do it?

EGB16A
23-02-2006, 04:42 PM
but then how about the ground and pre amp wire! I can just spite it from the existing amp to the new one ? or any safety way to do it?
you can split the earth from the existing amp, but i'd really recomend running another cable to a ground point.

BTW, don't use solder to join your power cable. :thumbdwn:

chan
23-02-2006, 06:30 PM
u can either run 2 of the power cables u have now or just get a thicker one and split and solder it in ur boot... u dont need a distribution block, ur amps are fused... but u might have to change the fuse near ur car battery to a bigger one if u get thicker wire, a 60amp will do...

not all amps r fused. i won't suggest soldering the power cables at all. how do u cover the cables if u solder them? tape? what if it comes losse???

if only running 1 cable from the battery, a distribution block is the way to go. it's better be safe than sorry.

Sitwy
23-02-2006, 06:32 PM
oo....so I think in safety side, I would just get another 8 gauge power wire to wire up the 2nd amp, and other ground wire to the classies, and spite the preamp wire from the existing amp!
Thx Guys! very appericate !!

chan
23-02-2006, 06:42 PM

just get an extra ground wire to another ground point. strip the paint on ground point to minimize resistance and torque the bolt firmly. most deck has no problem to run pre amp wire for 2 devices. i would suggest fusing the pre amp wire to protect the wire (avoid fire) and ur equipment. if u r concern, u can install a relay to power up the output.

mj3610
23-02-2006, 10:45 PM
not all amps r fused. i won't suggest soldering the power cables at all. how do u cover the cables if u solder them? tape? what if it comes losse???

if only running 1 cable from the battery, a distribution block is the way to go. it's better be safe than sorry.

1. unless ur running an amp from the stone age then its defenitely fused...

2. there more chance of wires comming lose from the distribution block than if u solder them since the block is using screws to hold down a shredded wire....

3. buy some good quality solder (not the ones from supercheap auto) and solder them well and cover with electrical tape.

distribution blocks are a waste of money call around anywhere in sydney they will tell u the same...

SPL77Civic
23-02-2006, 11:50 PM
We use various distros ranging from these nifty electrical joiners u can buy for like $8 for 8 of them. We use them for speaker cable in sub boxes, to pure copper busbar to prefab distros you can buy from any half decent audio retailer.

The advantages of distros, they are reusable, they allow for quick changes to set ups without having to cut the old soldered connection and then resoldering it. (Ie swapping out amps for testing)

You get a much cleaner connection and so long as you don't over tighten the grub screw you should never have problem with connections coming loose.

Just go 4g (fused with about an 80a fuse) from Battery to basic 1x4 2x8 Aeropro Distro, cost you $20 max.

Then run 8g from the distro to each amp +

Then from the each of the amps to chassis (earth) run 4g. (you really only need 8g, but you can't have too big an earth)

Then for the remote turn on (the blue wire) run it from the h/u to your current amp(as it already is) then just run another piece from amp 1 to amp 2. No need to fuse it.

Slow96GSR
24-02-2006, 02:32 AM
1. unless ur running an amp from the stone age then its defenitely fused...

2. there more chance of wires comming lose from the distribution block than if u solder them since the block is using screws to hold down a shredded wire....

...distribution blocks are a waste of money call around anywhere in sydney they will tell u the same...

Answers:
1: I wouldn't tell U.S. Amps they are in the Stone Age. None of my 1998-2005 amps had fuses on them. They also are years ahead of anyone!

2: 4 awg and 2 8 awg wires will yield a 1-inch (2.54cm) thick solder joint. I doubt you or anyone could fully solder that connection. Do you know how hot that wire would have to be to draw the solder in all the way. The plastic shield would melt 5-10 inches up from the joint. If you fully put the wire in to the dist. block and tighten it good it won't come undone. If you add a little Loctite it will never come undone. In the 10 years of installing none of mine have ever come undone and we build 178.9db vans and use no Loctite.

Also in the 10 yrs we have never soldered a power wire to make split connection. The chances of the tape or heat shrink being penetrated are too great. The dist. block is the safest way to go. Any MECP or certified installer will tell you that. Besides no respectable shop would turn down the sale of a dist. block.

Edit:

Have any of you seen a battery fire or electrical fire? How about the bill to repair all the electrical components in a car? In a expensive European car? Ya use the dist. block. You don't want to screw up that car of yours because you were too cheap to do it right!

Sitwy:
I have a NICE Stinger fused dist. block you can HAVE! It will do 3 4awg in and 2 8awg out. The 3 4awg in is so you can have caps or extra batteries.

aka_NSX
24-02-2006, 06:43 AM
there more chance of wires comming lose from the distribution block than if u solder them since the block is using screws to hold down a shredded wire....

distribution blocks are a waste of money call around anywhere in sydney they will tell u the same...

i dont think so :confused: , you splice the wire then solder at the end only, please dont solder the whole wire..... then you screw, i can guarantee it will never loose from the distribution block

if you go to cheap audio shop maybe they will tell you that, but good audio shop I guarantee they wont say that :D

chan
24-02-2006, 07:52 AM
$20 isnt much. save ur car, ur life and ur effort of solidering.

mj3610
24-02-2006, 07:52 AM
^^^ call fairfield car radios and they will tell u what i've told u.
ofcourse if ur amps arent fused then YES ofcourse u should use a dist blok, but if they are, then i dont see the point of it,
if u cant solder for sh*t then thats a different story, otherwise u do the math, theres a fuse next to the battery, protecting the cable running through ur car, theres also fuses on ur amps protecting ur amps, whats the extra fuse in da middle gonna do? whats it gonna prtect? IT WONT ADD ANY EXTRA PROTECTION TO UR CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM as long as u have a fuse near the battery. by all means go for it add a d blok but i dont see the point of it if u got fuse near battery and ur amps are fused...

yeah the onli upside i see to using a distro is saving the effort of soldering, otherwise its not "saving ur life and ur car"

SPL77Civic
24-02-2006, 07:20 PM
^^^ call fairfield car radios and they will tell u what i've told u.
ofcourse if ur amps arent fused then YES ofcourse u should use a dist blok, but if they are, then i dont see the point of it,
if u cant solder for sh*t then thats a different story, otherwise u do the math, theres a fuse next to the battery, protecting the cable running through ur car, theres also fuses on ur amps protecting ur amps, whats the extra fuse in da middle gonna do? whats it gonna prtect? IT WONT ADD ANY EXTRA PROTECTION TO UR CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM as long as u have a fuse near the battery. by all means go for it add a d blok but i dont see the point of it if u got fuse near battery and ur amps are fused...

yeah the onli upside i see to using a distro is saving the effort of soldering, otherwise its not "saving ur life and ur car"

Buddy, you realise that not all distro blocks are fused???

chan
24-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Buddy, you realise that not all distro blocks are fused???

i think he does and he will probably quote ur statement too. :p

SPL77Civic
24-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I expect that he may, but oh well.

If Fairfield Car Radios say its a waste of time using distro blocks, who am I to disagree, right?

mj3610
24-02-2006, 11:19 PM
$20 isnt much. save ur car, ur life and ur effort of solidering.
chan heres ur million dollar quote, its ***in hilarious... i luv the "ur life" part the best :)

chan
25-02-2006, 08:02 AM
chan heres ur million dollar quote, its ***in hilarious... i luv the "ur life" part the best :)

sounds like u r tougher than ur soldering. :D :D :D

mj3610
25-02-2006, 09:04 AM
sounds like u r tougher than ur soldering. :D :D :D
im tougher than u think buddy... i still cant get over what u've said, "save ur car and ur life", ROFLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a dblok gonna do that? lmao u crack me up. i'll give some credit for trying tho...

chan
25-02-2006, 07:06 PM
im tougher than u think buddy... i still cant get over what u've said, "save ur car and ur life", ROFLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a dblok gonna do that? lmao u crack me up. i'll give some credit for trying tho...

no, u r tougher than everyone in this thread and u will be the last person posting in this thread for sure. :wave:

Slow96GSR
26-02-2006, 03:23 AM
No I will with my little :rofl: smiley guy.

OMG you all don't have the :rofl: guy!!! You suck!

mj3610
26-02-2006, 09:06 AM
no, u r tougher than everyone in this thread and u will be the last person posting in this thread for sure. :wave:
:) :) :)

ICACHA
26-02-2006, 06:54 PM
dont get a distribution block cause its a waste...

and which store do you work for?

what u should do is upgrade that to a 4 guage cable and run it to the boot, then split it into 2x 8guage cables and solder them together in a 3 way.

why solder? why not just twist and tape, save much more money that way?

theres no point in a distribution blok its onli for those that wanna show off their systems in shows etc and for display...

you mean those who want to do it the right way not the stratties way :D

smartest thing you have said in this post :D but what if the amps are not fused? i have seen pleanty of high end amps which aren't fused and require an external fuse...

mj3610
26-02-2006, 09:02 PM
^^^ thanks for that its good to see some people still have some common sense :)

smartest thing you have said in this post :D but what if the amps are not fused? i have seen pleanty of high end amps which aren't fused and require an external fuse...

cheers :)