PDA

View Full Version : stereo installation in 2003 civic gli

N4CER
19-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Has anyone installed aftermarket stereo gear into a 7th Generation Honda Civic (MY03)? The rear parcel shelf has a cover type thing that is all plastic (im guessing). Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to remove this? And also the dash so I kan fit my JVC headunit in?

Thanks.

vti-2
19-09-2003, 02:41 PM
This should be in A/V, i'll move the thread there for you. :D

toE
19-09-2003, 02:56 PM
look around the area where the shelf is being locked/held. it should just be held in either by screws/clips or both.

btw, i'm guessing here. have never sat in 7th Gen Civic..so wouldn't really know.

hope that helps.

vti-2
19-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Everything should basically unclip/unscrew to give you access for the HU install. With the parcel shelf, the back seats will have to come out to remove the parcel shelf.

toE
19-09-2003, 03:04 PM
yea..i knew dat too :wink: forgot to mention it only.. :lol:

wynode
19-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Hang on Hang on. If your civic is any similar to my EG sedan then to get access to the speakers, you have to undo the speaker grill from inside the boot area (under the parcel shelf).

Have you looked there? I suggest you have a peak there for the screws/nuts first.

Gluck

N4CER
19-09-2003, 03:39 PM
to be honest i havent had a chance to have a good look at it - only got the car last wednesday hehe. does anyone here know what im talking about - the plastic speaker grille that covers the entiire parcel shelf? i'd like to pull that out and get a custom parcel shelf made with black carpet. is this possible? and also how does it affect the new car warranty - installing aftermarket stereo gear.

thanks again

(i'm new to the whole car audio scene so forgive me if im not making any sense :oops: )

wynode
19-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Like I said N4CER, have a look from inside the boot.....i'm not going to say it again.

vti-2
19-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by N4CER:
also how does it affect the new car warranty - installing aftermarket stereo gear.

Check with your dealer. I'd say that as long as the car is in original condition, as in you haven't modified door skins/kick panels etc. then you should be ok.

mo
06-10-2003, 09:36 PM
definitely open the boot and go underneath...
it's the same in my sedan. ek model

so if im guessing what wynode is trying to say
eg is same with ek way...why not with the 7th gen? :D

7th Gen
06-10-2003, 09:44 PM
hi N4CER (nice nick :D )

i have a 7th gen sedan as well, yes the rear speakers are a bit of a pain, i know the plastic bits you are talking about. i haven't gone and taken them apart yet except for where the looms connect. looks like a tough one

with regards to the head unit, yeh i have taken it and put in one that palys MP3's. it's a bit of work though, i did take it to my local place and they were cool enough to let me help them install it, great job as well

since you are new to all this (as am i), if you really don't know what you are doing, take it to someone who does. better to have peace of mind (yeh sure, might have to pay a bit, but shop around) than to really stuff up your car

Calvo
06-10-2003, 10:28 PM
if u dont kno wat ur doin, may i suggest u ask someone who does to help u.
honda's r a pain to install aftermarket HU's in. i had a friend help me out, took us about 1.5-2hrs.
im sure for ur 7th gen, u'll need to remove the underpart (under steering wheel) of the interior. from there, u need to remove centre console, screws r where handbrake it.
u also need to be careful if ur HU is an anti theft one, and there will be a big metal bracket holding it in, u dont wanna rip ur HU in half. i think theres also one screw u need to undo on the inside of ur glovebox.

for the parcel shelf, grab a torch and lie down inside ya boot, u should beable to see the clips/screws holding it all in, but u need to put ya back seat down, and possible remove some bits. i did in my accord.

Civic Si
18-10-2003, 10:19 AM
When my mate installed my rear 6x9s in my rear shelf he had to take out da entire rear seat to get da parcel shelf out. Once da rear seat is out then it should be pretty easy to get to da screws and clips/rivets! :)

N4CER
30-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, sorry I haven't replied on the forums for a while, been busy with work, etc...

Anyway juz letting you all know, that I decided to go with a professional install with the guys from Millenium Car Sound & Security in Moorabbin, a bit of a hike from where I live but I think well worth the trip.

I get my car back today after work so I'll post back once i've had a bit of a listen and see how it sounds :D

I decided not to go for the 6x9's in the parcel shelf (wouldve had to cut the metal and being a new car and all i didn't patricularly wanna do dat) so i put the 3 way Kenwood 6" in the parcel shelf, some Hertz splits in the front - and a Coustic amp to run them, my JVC headunit, 2x12" Hertz subs (the new dual voice coil ones - juz came off the docks last week!) a Signat Mark II amp to run the subs. So all in all it ended up costing me lots of $$$!

Kan't wait to hear it!

Thanks again for all the replies!

toE
30-10-2003, 01:07 PM
das some nice equipments you got dere. but i reckon u spoilt it with the Kenwood tri-ax..

meh..my 2c.. enjoy ur system dude!!