PDA

View Full Version : Which oil to use if car is starting to smell of smoke.

mercury
25-02-2006, 12:10 PM
what are some of the high end brands i can use to stop the smoking (even if its just lil) on my civic? Would FEO still be advised?

cheers

p.s cant seem to get the search function to work it keeps timing out. Is there a prob with the forum search?

EuroDude
25-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I would use a thicker oil and maybe pour in some stop-smoke additive. Maybe 10w50 will help. Honda FEO is only 10w30 so I dont think that will make a diff.

Actually my car used to smoke a bit during warmup, but now it doesnt do it since i cleaned the throttle body and iacv. I guess all the throttle body cleaner that went into the cylinders cleaned it up in there or something.

Limbo
26-02-2006, 09:49 AM
depends if its only smoking or burning the oil. If your burning oil then switch to a thicker blend but otherwise it might be a different cause.
Also depends on how much your burning you might only need to go up to a 15w-40 or maybe as high as a 25w-50. Try not to go up too high as it decreases you fuel efficiency and will feel slightly sluggish when driving.
I would run a few different ones and go up slowly.

First try the Castrol magnetic 15w-40
Then try the Castrol R 25w-50
If they don't work then you will have to run a 25w-50 with some additive or get an engine rebuild, but try one step at a time cos it gets expensive

suprfast
27-02-2006, 05:16 AM
what are some of the high end brands i can use to stop the smoking (even if its just lil) on my civic? Would FEO still be advised?

cheers

p.s cant seem to get the search function to work it keeps timing out. Is there a prob with the forum search?

Find out why its smoking first. Dont put a band aid on a cut that requires stitches
kris