PDA

View Full Version : No Power

accord97
26-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Here's my story. I recently bought a honda accord 97 vti.

The other day my dad noticed that the oil was low, so he went to the garage and found some old junk engine oil that we used to use in a old commodore, and put it in the honda.

He then drove the car for an hour or two and came back. That night i started the car, i would put my foot on the accelerator, but the car wouldnt move (like you still have the handbrake on). It eventually got going but i switched it off straight away and left it.

The next day i gave it a full oil change (Castrol Magnatec) and everything seem to work.

Since then however the car feels very weak. I used to feel when the vtec would kick, now it doesnt happen.

Is my engine stuffed ? Can i do anything to fix it ?

JasonGilholme
26-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Does the commodore use thicker oil???

That may have something to do with it.

Slow96GSR
26-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Did you change the filter? There will still be some of the old oil in the filter and head. About .5-1qt so do a new filter and new oil. Also check the vtec solenoid for junk clogging it.

chunky
26-02-2006, 12:04 PM
i hope ur not frked try go and get it serviced

bennjamin
26-02-2006, 02:21 PM
yup - change filter + flush the engine with a couple of oil changes with GOOD oil over the next few hundred k's - should be good enough to clear all that gunk out.

accord97
26-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, the oil was penrite 20w-60. It's made for older engines. I did both the oil and filter.

How do i check the vtec solenoid ? is it something i can do myself, or do i need to take it in ?

what does frked mean ?

btw is the magnatec good oil?

Slow96GSR
26-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Frked = fubard, F@#&ed, SOL.

The vtec solenoid is next to the distributor. Undo the electronic clips, pull out the 3 10mm bolts holding it, and then spray cleaner into the filter screen. If you can/want to you can pull of the screen and clean it more. If you need to disassemble it take it to a pro.

20w-60 is kind of thick. I bet the sluggishness is from that and the vtec solenoid is clogged!

sivic
27-02-2006, 02:06 AM
yeah 20w-60 is way too thick imo.
magnatec...... ehh. from what i've seen it really doesnt last very long.
try something around the 10w-30 or 10w-40 area. maybe just run in some honda feo for a while.
and do that filter!