PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to mod?

quang
26-02-2006, 10:23 PM
hi i'm seeking advice or opinions on my little dilemma, i'm am thinking of getting cams and a computer for my car, but i am tossing up whether its worthwhile doing it as my car has done 140 xxx kms and by the time i conjure up the money would have done a bit more, i'm afraid that my engine is getting too old and good tuners are hard to find in canberra :( . i pretty much had a goal for my car to get over 100kw at the wheels sometime or rather, i have left it too late?
thanks

bennjamin
26-02-2006, 10:24 PM
i know of a few cars with over that amount of k's and decided to "invest" in serious modding...K's arent a disadvantage IMO if the engine is taken care of.

EuroDude
26-02-2006, 10:35 PM
If you are worried about reliability, you can always recondition it first.
While its getting reconditioned get them to install the new items (stronger pistons, aggresive cam's etc..)

Slow96GSR
27-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Shit adding cams is 5% of rebuilding the motor, go the other 95% and pull the motor and rebuild her. Then the cams will have some new friends to play with! That will also get you on the way to 100kw at the wheels, you could probably do that with just internals and/or a few bolt ons, but I haven't converted it. 100kw = ?hp??? Come on don't make me do it, I'm a lazy Yank!

SPEEDCORE
27-02-2006, 07:43 AM
you are going to laugh once someone converts it...... you guys seem to get 100kw@wheels from stock 99-00 Civic Si

Around 133hp = 100kw

EGB16A
27-02-2006, 10:51 AM
you are going to laugh once someone converts it...... you guys seem to get 100kw@wheels from stock 99-00 Civic Si

Around 133hp = 100kw

why is it that american HP seems so unrealistic? Is it the dyno's they use over there or something?

bennjamin
27-02-2006, 10:54 AM
why is it that american HP seems so unrealistic? Is it the dyno's they use over there or something?

mixture of elevation , ambient air temp , calibration...and that those US dyno's are always a few digits higher than anywhere else in the world it seems ( im guessing due to the comemrcial element...to WOW the customer etc).

I recall stating my wheel KW/hp once on a US forum and didnt get a serious reply after lol.

EGB16A
27-02-2006, 11:00 AM
mixture of elevation , ambient air temp , calibration...and that those US dyno's are always a few digits higher than anywhere else in the world it seems ( im guessing due to the comemrcial element...to WOW the customer etc).

I recall stating my wheel KW/hp once on a US forum and didnt get a serious reply after lol.
love reading those "I'm getting 200whp with my I/H/E and type R cams" type posts on honda tech.

anyway, back on topic....

Get a leakdown and compression test, and it should give you a decent indication of how your engine is holding up. I say get the head completely serviced when your putting in cams, assuming your compression/ leakdown results are upto scratch.
Spend the money on reliability first, then go for performance :thumbsup:

h22a accord
27-02-2006, 11:16 AM

US dynos are inertia dynos - usually a big steel drum on bearings that your wheels are placed on. They have brakes on them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dtaila/95accordstrapped600.jpg

AU dynos are hydraulic.

My mate in the US has h22a accord with same mods and he is pushing out over 175whp and im getting 150hp on an aussiy dyno.

z3lda
27-02-2006, 12:17 PM
that dyno looks dangerous. what if the car rolls too forward... =/

suprfast
27-02-2006, 12:21 PM
that dyno looks dangerous. what if the car rolls too forward... =/
There should be straps on the rear of the car aswell. Its not going anywhere
kris

joneblaze
27-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Never too late to mod. Just make sure you have a stable, solid and RELIABLE platform to start from. :)

Mileage really isn't a problem in a Honda, as long as she's been taken care of.

Please bear in mind that opening up your engine and going a little more "hardcore" N/A is going to completely change the characteristics of your car. Driveability, feel, and in some cases enjoyment will all be affected.

Too many ppl have plunged into doing heavy mods and ended up not enjoying their car as much as in the past. :) Just something to think about.

SINISTR
27-02-2006, 12:52 PM
hi i'm seeking advice or opinions on my little dilemma, i'm am thinking of getting cams and a computer for my car, but i am tossing up whether its worthwhile doing it as my car has done 140 xxx kms and by the time i conjure up the money would have done a bit more, i'm afraid that my engine is getting too old and good tuners are hard to find in canberra :( . i pretty much had a goal for my car to get over 100kw at the wheels sometime or rather, i have left it too late?
thanks

hey there...

the two cars im modifying have 145000 (gen1) and 190000(gen2) - and I dont think either is too high to be modified. Honda motors are build tough and if taken care off will perform in excess of 250000kms with modifications.

I say modify it - 140000 is nothing - and if it needs a rebuild at 180000 give it a rebuild and off you go again.

liberx
27-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd wait a bit longer, that Honda motor is barely run in yet! :p :D