PDA

View Full Version : New Transmission!! yay!

vtec_jet
27-02-2006, 04:37 PM
hey guys,

after accouncing the death of my auto transmission in my CG accord, i have done some pretty in depth fidningz and FINALLY found a second hand tranny in westall HONDWRECK! it cost me $1650 plus anutha $200 for Labour , i have a 3 month warranty on the transmission its a second hand one off a 98 Vtec CG accord.... i own a 99 model its a 4cyl 2.3L VTEC! is there anything i should look out for in the transmissions that arent noticable ?? i have 3 months to see if everything is ok, i dunt wana have to spend anutha 2 Gz on anutha tranny....it'll all be done by end of the week!! will keep you guyz posted!

chunky
27-02-2006, 08:05 PM
wat???

EuroDude
27-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Would have been cheaper getting the original reconditioned.

aaronng
27-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't trust reconditioned Honda auto trannies. My dad's CD had the auto reconditioned, and it failed within 3 months. Honda Malaysia did the recon. They did it again the 2nd time and more crap plugged the strainer and caused the loss of 2nd gear. In the end he bought a 2nd hand from a halfcut and it's been working for the past 3 years.

vtec_jet
27-02-2006, 08:53 PM
yeh plus a recon costs over 2500 for the CG accordz!! and i got the the transmission for $1650 and Labour 200 bux.. ;)

ECU-MAN
28-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't trust reconditioned Honda auto trannies. My dad's CD had the auto reconditioned, and it failed within 3 months. Honda Malaysia did the recon. They did it again the 2nd time and more crap plugged the strainer and caused the loss of 2nd gear. In the end he bought a 2nd hand from a halfcut and it's been working for the past 3 years.

Honda auto tranny's are a work of art, it take skill to recon them properly and they willl be OK.

comes down the the tech that worked on it.

vtec_jet
28-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Honda auto tranny's are a work of art, it take skill to recon them properly and they willl be OK.

TOUSHAY ;)

aaronng
28-02-2006, 11:54 PM

Work of art it may be, but a tranny should be robust and can be worked on by at least a senior tech. The strainer requires the whole auto trans to be removed and opened up. And once opened, if any dirt somehow gets into the tranny, the strainer will clog in short while.... again.

ECU-MAN
02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Work of art it may be, but a tranny should be robust and can be worked on by at least a senior tech. The strainer requires the whole auto trans to be removed and opened up. And once opened, if any dirt somehow gets into the tranny, the strainer will clog in short while.... again.

I was a 2nd year aprentice when I started doing them. dont need to be a senior tech. the strainer is a bit weired being the way it is, but many transmissions I pulled apart, the stainer looked clean as. ( honda ATF is awsome ). you will have problems if you rebuild them on a bench in a work shop. you need a trans room if you really want to prevent crap from gettin in the tranny ( this applies to all AT's )

they might be a bit weak, as a hard driver may kill it in time, but I tell you I saw alot more ford 4sp trannys get replaced and overhauled that Honda AT's

spanks
02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I was a 2nd year aprentice when I started doing them. dont need to be a senior tech. the strainer is a bit weired being the way it is, but many transmissions I pulled apart, the stainer looked clean as. ( honda ATF is awsome ). you will have problems if you rebuild them on a bench in a work shop. you need a trans room if you really want to prevent crap from gettin in the tranny ( this applies to all AT's )

they might be a bit weak, as a hard driver may kill it in time, but I tell you I saw alot more ford 4sp trannys get replaced and overhauled that Honda AT's

Well said :thumbsup: i too was second year when i started rebuilding them and any tech,senior or not will tell you that all the work is in the prep.As with all mechanical work...