PDA

View Full Version : Too much engine oil, bad?

jaffa_cree
27-02-2006, 06:23 PM
My dad topped up on some engine oil for the car seeing it was a tad below the full mark. I then drove around 400km.

Today i decided to check the oil level and to my surprised there is too much oil. For a visual description, take 30% of the distance between full to empty, and add that on top of the full mark. The oil was checked on a cold engine. So i am assuming a warm engine, the level will rise even more.

Is that way too much over?
Should i get it drain immediately?
And would there be any damage done to the engine already seeing i have driven the car for 400km already.

aaronng
27-02-2006, 06:47 PM
On a warm engine, the level the drop. Why? Because when you run your engine, the oil gets circulated to other areas that are usually dry when cold (i.e. the head). Your dad might have checked the engine oil level when it had just been driven around.

steve
27-02-2006, 07:18 PM
In short, hell yes!

but depending on what type of engine etc it depends on what you can get away with.

I've heard of cases where oil was way too full and during engine operation, crank hit the oil (must've been going round a corner or something) and caused the crank to become out of balance due to the force that the crank hit the oil.

Kinda like belly flopping from 100m up... ouch

EuroDude
27-02-2006, 07:21 PM
And would there be any damage done to the engine already seeing i have driven the car for 400km already.

Nothing to worry about really (well for a D series at least).

lol when I was a n00b driver I put a whole 5L oil container + what was already in there... well the car was drivable but it was giving out heaps of white smoke out the exhaust and the car was really boggy and slow.

But no damage done, all I did was clean the oil off the spark plugs and correct the oil level. It was as good as new after that...

FkjAccord
27-02-2006, 07:22 PM
hey dude, just drain the oil .. put the right amount in... then get the carbon out by high reving the car.. heaps... its best if you did it like you were dragging or something..
why i say this is cause... @work (honda doncaster) this guy came in with 3 times the amount... (civic ek) so he placed like 12 ltrs in the engine..
heheh
thats all we did to it... drained it, placed the right amount of oil, and got out all the carbon..

jaffa_cree
27-02-2006, 07:47 PM
The car is 98 prelude vtir so its the H22A engine.
Getting a little worried now, might take it to a mechanic to get it drained then and refilled ASAP now :(

ECU-MAN
27-02-2006, 09:53 PM
anything above the top dot ( full mark ) is overfull and should be drained

you can get away with 2 to 3mm, but anything more above will cause trouble in the long run.

Mr_will
27-02-2006, 11:00 PM
The car is 98 prelude vtir so its the H22A engine.
Getting a little worried now, might take it to a mechanic to get it drained then and refilled ASAP now :(

dude dont take your car to a mechanic just for that! its easy...diy

jaffa_cree
28-02-2006, 07:48 AM
dude dont take your car to a mechanic just for that! its easy...diy

I am not mechanically minded, and have no idea when it comes to cars.
I know the subject matters, but have no practical skills in it at all.

EuroDude
28-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Draining the oil is one of the easiest things to do - anyone can do it if they know how, you dont need to be mechanically minded just to drain the oil ;) ... its just one 14mm bolt on the bottom of the engine.

Jack the car up, put a 5L container/pan under the drain hole, remove the bolt with a rachet or wrench, drain the oil, put the bolt back it, lower the car, refill the oil... too easy :thumbsup: