PDA

View Full Version : funny Idle

booget
28-02-2006, 09:00 AM
hey guys,

just wondering if any1 has had trouble with a funny idle.

i got a chipped ECU, plugged it in the car and it idles funny, like the revs increase then decrease, and the check engine light is on. its a P72 ecu that has been chipped.

now im thinking is it because its chipped and the car isnt used to the mods?
or
the chip, as in the program on the chip is farked! and its running in limp mode.
or
because i tried a P72 ECU on a car that is running an after market intake manifold and has a single stage runner, instead of the stock B18c motor which has dual stage runner. Could it be looking for that? and its spitting the dummy?
is it a vacumn problem cauzing the revs to increase then decrease because of the change in intake?

im stumped!

any1? help

EuroDude
28-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Are you sure its not simply a dirty throttle body or IACV screen?

michael_antoi
28-02-2006, 09:09 AM
what CEL's are u getting?

ECU was the only thing changed after idle became 'funny'?

ProECU
28-02-2006, 09:10 AM
If his stock ECU is not causing any issues, his chipped ECU has the wrong program in it. simple.

booget
28-02-2006, 12:08 PM
well the go is,

i got myself a P72ecu, and got it chipped and socketed ready for hondata as my car is OBD2a

so i had to borrow a mates car with OBD1 connection, while i wait for my conversion harness. Now his car is using P30 with after market intake manifold which is just a single stage runner, not like teg vtir manifold which has dual stage runner.

his car was fine with his P30 with hondata, we just pulled out the wires and hooked up the P72ecu that i had chipped.
car starts and the idle goes up n down up n down, with engine check light on

so u reckon Chip is faulty PROECU?

krasyvy
28-02-2006, 12:12 PM
lil confused -

his car was running fine with his p30, then u put in ur chipped p72 and it idles funny?

did u reset the ecu?

booget
28-02-2006, 12:27 PM
correct

his car with P30 was fine, then my P72 (chipped) in his car, makes his car idle funny
and the check engine light is on.

reset ECU?
we just pulled the ECU out of car and switched it around

joneblaze
28-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Son, you ran this chipped ECU on Slim's? What happened?

booget
28-02-2006, 01:14 PM
hahah didnt u read the post, i said in his car it idles funny

revs up then down up then down and engine managment light is on.
im trying to locate if its a chip issue or because his car has after market intake manifold thats making the ECU go stoopid

ProECU
28-02-2006, 01:18 PM
The P72 Maps and mBar scalars are completely different to the requirements and actual maps of the P30.

It's not rocket science, use your brain fellas!

The ECU appears FINE, I put this one down to End User Stupidity.
CEL Code is more than likely the IAB, looking for 12V under activation, GND for activation of IAB.

You guys do some beauties!

booget
28-02-2006, 01:29 PM
end user stoopidty!! i agree with u PROECU
i dont know shiet thats y i ask =)

thanks for the input master

Tu88y
28-02-2006, 01:34 PM
yeah do some research
hehehehe

ginganggooly
28-02-2006, 02:49 PM
The P72 Maps and mBar scalars are completely different to the requirements and actual maps of the P30.

It's not rocket science, use your brain fellas!

The ECU appears FINE, I put this one down to End User Stupidity.
CEL Code is more than likely the IAB, looking for 12V under activation, GND for activation of IAB.

You guys do some beauties!

Nice attitude with the comments mate :rolleyes:
Unless you've missed some strategically placed smileys, in which case I wholeheartedly retract that sarcastic comment.

I ran a p72 ecu with a skunk2 IM for a year without a CEL.

ProECU
28-02-2006, 02:52 PM
how did it idle mate ?

and FYI, I dont post replies in advanced mode, so no access to smileys.

krasyvy
28-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Nice attitude with the comments mate :rolleyes:
Unless you've missed some strategically placed smileys, in which case I wholeheartedly retract that sarcastic comment.

seems like most of his replies on these forums are full of 'attitude' :rolleyes:

joneblaze
28-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Too koooool for skoooooool :D

ProECU
28-02-2006, 03:54 PM

This was with a Hondata wasnt it?

and yup, I am too cool for school, but 1 thing is certain, it's obvious I learnt more than you did.

And as for Krasyvy, its interesting how in 1 thread you sing my praises, and here you do a complete 180.
Happy to accept help, but not to keen on the gratitude!!

ginganggooly
28-02-2006, 07:11 PM
fwiw, i ran with the secondaries not working while the ecu was stock- disconnecting the plug for the secondaries would still not throw a cel on my ecu.

yes, i did have the hondata with the skunk2 manifold, but initially, i installed the manifold with the program set to operate the secondaries... no cel then either.

ProECU
28-02-2006, 07:29 PM
So to answer my first question... how did it idle (before any tuning) ?

and more to the point, would you say this caused any eratic idle?

dundas
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
hmmz this actually sounds familiar to my mums car.. it idles up and down.. really annoying sometimes.. i rekon it has more to do with just the ecu.. but i would like to knwo this reason too.

EuroDude
06-03-2006, 08:04 PM
hmmz this actually sounds familiar to my mums car.. it idles up and down.. really annoying sometimes.. i rekon it has more to do with just the ecu.. but i would like to knwo this reason too.

Probably just a dirty throttle body and/or IACV screen... I really doubt its an ECU issue if the engine hasnt been modified.

ProECU
07-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Sure, feel free to use it anytime, lol!

..and as per usual, the people who come in here and sidetrack the issue dissapear and offer no useful information and don't come back to answer pertinant questions.

I guess they're just here to make people look bad.

I hope the original poster has made progress non the less.

booget
09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
ive gone and tried it on another car this time on a H22A motor and it is still doing the same thing, idles up then down and check engine light is on!

so cant be a dirty throttle body or the IAB. The bloke i got it off said it worked fine before he gave to me. Would there be something to do with knock sensors?