PDA

View Full Version : super noisy brakes

dark138
28-02-2006, 04:05 PM
on friday i installed some new brake pads

Project Mu HC+ and went to track Wakefield on saturday.

after track i've noticed when i am stopping at very very low speeds, like 1-2km/hr it makes a screeching nooise like buses. anyone can help me here?

bennjamin
28-02-2006, 04:24 PM
the brake pads or rotors have uneven wear marks or "burrs" ~ which rubs agaisnt the disc at lower speeds. I bet you didnt properly bed them in or didnt brake efficiently aroudn the track...you probably can try to re-bed them in again ?

jamchen
28-02-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah every new pads need at least 500km since its initial installation for ultimate performance...
so maybe u can try to .. at a open space.. accelerate to certain speed and apply the brakes with different forces... so maybe they can be evenly surfaced so u will have smooth surface so to minimise noises...

fly_vti
28-02-2006, 04:50 PM

after track i've noticed when i am stopping at very very low speeds, like 1-2km/hr it makes a screeching nooise like buses. anyone can help me here?

sounds like you need your DISC brakes machined (rotors) it will get rid of the noise. i had that too.. cost about $100 bux for all rotors depending on the place you go too.. hope it works.

EuroDude
28-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah it could be rotors but its hard to tell over a forum.

It could be just brake pad squeal/vibration.
Maybe try applying a fair amount of anti-squeal to the back of the pad first.

aaronng
28-02-2006, 07:35 PM

You can minimise squealing by doing proper bedding of the pads and rotors. But..... you are using the HC+ brake pads. They are carbon metallic brakes and WILL squeal at low speeds no matter what you do. Go and watch hot version videos and you'll notice that the cars with racing grade brakes always squeal loudly. All you can do is minimise the squealing and probably not eliminate it totally.. I have a clip of the Phase EuroR and it squeals like a pig when braking!

dark138
01-03-2006, 04:32 PM
exactly what arronng said

coz the day i installed them, i spent whole afternoon bedding coz i knew next day was track and i didn't have much time.

where are places to get rotors' machined?

aaronng
01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
exactly what arronng said

coz the day i installed them, i spent whole afternoon bedding coz i knew next day was track and i didn't have much time.

where are places to get rotors' machined?
Hehe, I am deciding between B-Spec and HC+ pads for my car. I can't stand the squealing, so after your report, I am going for B-Spec. :thumbsup:

dark138
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
but on my 10th lap around wakefield i was pretty much the only car that can still stop

lol

EG5[KRT]
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
wat u can do is also use a file and "chamfer" a bit off the edge

or spray anti squeel on the backing pad

or apply antiseize on the backing pad

or deglaze and cut a "x" on the pad

or just get slotted rotors to clean off the excess friction material as u brake :D

dark138
03-03-2006, 12:10 AM
man i don't wna to take off my wheels... so much work...

Malenic1981
03-03-2006, 12:36 AM
My brother has same thing happening on his Skyline, but they told him that all high performance pads have to make that noise, so I don't know if it's true or not.

dc-r
03-03-2006, 06:47 AM
My brother has same thing happening on his Skyline, but they told him that all high performance pads have to make that noise, so I don't know if it's true or not.

agree !!!
HC+ is mainly sports, less comfort, little racing pad.
i will say, it will make a noise with nomal driving on the street no matter what.
( correct me if i'm wrong )
by the way, man you have such nice pad !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: