PDA

View Full Version : Engine Check Light

ZeForce
03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

I have a 93 civic with a B16a2 engine swap and when ever the engine check light comes on frequently when I engage VTEC... When I turn shut down the engine and restart it the light is not longer on. In the Honda service manual is says that this means there could be a problem with my engine or emission systems and it could cause further damage if I continue driving... What could it be and what should I do about it? :confused: Anyone had similar problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

ProECU
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I would suggest if its in vtec, then its the vtec spool or vtec solenoid.

you need to read out the codes from the ECU, ie jump service connector and count # of engine light flashes.

I can take a look for you this weekend.

hoonda
03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I have had this prob, and have also heard of others that have had it too, so it sounds common! Light comes on, but no loss of power/ funny noise or anything unusual, right?

I dont know why exactly it comes on, i think it is because ur jdm ecu detects our shitty fuel (even if it is optimax) & thinks it may cause a problem.

Problem was 'fixed' (in my case) my Hondata + tune

IF there is absolutly no power loss etc, I dont think it is a major problem, just a 'glitch' that surfaces when using jdm designed hardware.

BUT having said that, just in case, it is still highly reccomended that u get it looked at!

PS sorry for all the 'ifs and buts'!

ProECU
03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
its nothing to do with the quality of the fuel.

VT3C
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
well it's pretty easy to find out - check the codes ?

if you dont know how -do a search.

mine does that sortof and throws the knock sensor code as I have no knock sensor wired up :(

have you wired in the ELD ? what ECU are you using ?

BTW.. hondata + 'tune' is only a bandaid fix - it just disables the CEL.

ProECU
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Doesn't disable the CEL, it actually disabled the requirement for the sensor.
as you know some hondas come without ELD from factory, same as vtec spool.... so yeah.

I'll look at it for you this weekend