PDA

View Full Version : making funny noise?

geo41e
15-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Hry guyz, jus bought a civic si manual hatch. But theres a noise when i start to drive.
When l'm off gear, and revin..its fine, but when its in gear..its making a slight taping noise...not grinding...just doesn't sound right.
gearbox? cv-joint??

please help

Mitch M
15-04-2004, 10:22 PM
probably loose fan belts or something mate. Do you only hear it when you go past a fence or something like that? usually at low revs just after shifting gear?

my civic si gets that too, am going to get it fixed soon, shouldn't be expensive

A'PEXi
15-04-2004, 10:49 PM
my friend says he has the same noise on his si, when im in the car, i cant hear it though?...

Mitch M
15-04-2004, 10:51 PM
my friend says he has the same noise on his si, when im in the car, i cant hear it though?...

Its not something you would notice unless your driving the car / its your car lol.

Its a relationship with your car that causes it :lol: hell i call my car stacy :lol: HAHA 8)

Yeh it seems it happens with all Si by the sound of it */me waits for benjammin* ;)

bennjamin
15-04-2004, 10:58 PM

Its not something you would notice unless your driving the car / its your car lol.

Its a relationship with your car that causes it :lol: hell i call my car stacy :lol: HAHA 8)

Yeh it seems it happens with all Si by the sound of it */me waits for benjammin* ;)

Waaaa......this really depends upon WHAT exact noise *holds out internet ear to listen* . . . engines all make noises ofcourse - taking into account OUR Si d16a8 is a 10 year old engine - which will sound louder than it did when fresh ofcourse....

WHAT kind of noise ? A USUAL noise seems to be with our cars is the cams + valves - makign a loudish "tapping" noise at idle - which is slightly louder/worse sounding upon cold-start. Nothing to be worried about, just might need a valve lash adjustment, OR change ur oil to slightly thicker nextime , or maybe timing is alittle off.

And yes , Si owners are a rare breed, and often are very strange when it comes to new noises and feelings of their car lol *looks in mirror*

Mitch M
15-04-2004, 11:01 PM
get ya hand off it ben :lol: j/k

i love my car lol ... just doesn't look good because it needs new oil rings hahahaha ... stupid smoke after idle

geo41e
16-04-2004, 12:38 AM
it doesn't make the noise when its on idle, however it occurs when l'm on gear and starting to drive... also, does not make noise if jus rolling with the clutch in, or in neutral.

l'm pretty sure its a gearbox problem, and not an engine, due to the fac that it doesn't make the noise when i rev it..and therefore, it ain't the belt.

might just getta nice loud muffler to piss it away lol...help ?
also, whats a good muffler ?

2ds
16-04-2004, 01:56 AM
if it's your gearbox make sure you get someone to have a look at it, it could get worse and more expensive to fix.

-2ds

bennjamin
16-04-2004, 09:55 AM
to add -

sounds possibly like a main thrust bearing inside the gearbox....the sound goes away if u push teh clutch in yeah ? And, you can hear a kinda "whine" in first of 2nd gear ? ( kinda like that reverse gear noise, but not as loud ?) -

Gdet a professional to look at it asap - longer u leave it , more damage it will do

DR HONDA
19-04-2004, 11:19 AM
sounds like your input shaft bearing is gone. approx 500 dollars to repair including parts if it is just that.

geo41e
29-04-2004, 11:38 PM
yeah..problem solved..
it wus the gearbox bearings...
got it done cheap...400 bux plus labour...and plus labour for a new heavy duty clutch kit
wooot

geo41e
29-04-2004, 11:51 PM
can somebody lock this?