PDA

View Full Version : strut?sway?tie?WTF

souperman
03-03-2006, 09:27 PM
i'm a noob.

i got a 2000 ek civic gli sedan stock.
i've researched a bit on this site. according to this site my car has a front sway bar.

to improve handling, the 1st step would be to get a rear swaybar?
ok, now here's where i'm lost. whiteline, jdm? wtf, wtf, wtf
and if you order stuff from whitelines, does it come with all the nuts and bolts? and wtf did i read about chassis ripping. WTF

i just want some improved handling...is that too much to ask for? lol

front strut bars dont look too hard to install (in DIY section) but what brand is good?? everyone has mixed opinions...i want something aboslute

ta

notorious_ahmie
04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
haha i can help a lil but theres more experts out there

whiteline make good products

id get there rear sway bar and it will help ur handling, just ask nick(lNl) hes got an ek seday as well

|N|
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
i'm a noob.

and if you order stuff from whitelines, does it come with all the nuts and bolts? and wtf did i read about chassis ripping. WTF

i just want some improved handling...is that too much to ask for? lol

front strut bars dont look too hard to install (in DIY section) but what brand is good?? everyone has mixed opinions...i want something aboslute

ta

rear sway gives u very obviuous handling improvements... reduces body roll alot. if u worry and the subframe - u can always put re enforcement on... i have whiteline rear sway + tie and i m very ahppy with them ... as for front strut ... its just there to help... i dun recommend anything too fat.. as that would just create massive under-steer and its not wat i like... brand doesnt matter... just look at the structure of teh strut .. make sure it doesnt look weak or anything
hope that helps

mrwillz
04-03-2006, 01:28 PM
where is the front sway bar located in the ek gli?
wud u suggest hafing a strust also?
mi newb 2 so dont kill me

|N|
04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
where is the front sway bar located in the ek gli?
wud u suggest hafing a strust also?
mi newb 2 so dont kill me

well i m not sure abt the hatch ... but its only untill last time changin my sussy ... i saw taht fat front sway i think it looks like its 22 or 24 mm sway ...
yea i have a front and rear strut. check my car spec if u like... i have all the mods in there.... they do help abit... but dun expect a huge diff... front strut is only there to reduce a bit of body flex.

Paul1985
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
strut bars arent the most important part of suspension upgrades IMO.. thats what i plan on doing last.

Focus on the sway bars and a good coilover/spring + shock setup.

strut bars are supposed to reduce chassis flex..
sway bars are more to do with understeer/oversteer.

I dont know if this helps at all, but the suspension setup on my EG is going to be:
- 25mm Front JDM ITR Sway bar
- 23mm Rear JDM ITR Sway bar
- ASR Rear Sub-frame reinforcement (you need reinforcement when installing a larger rear sway bar)
- ITR Rear LCA's
- Cusco Zero 2 coilovers
- Carbing 3-Point Front Brace (similar to a front strut bar)
- Do-Luck Room Bar
- C-Pillar Bar (dont know what brand i want to get)
- Full Race Traction Bar

Thats a pretty intense setup though, you most likely wont need all of those items. Ive got about half of the items i listed atm..

|N|
04-03-2006, 02:23 PM
keep in mind that the stiffer doesnt mean the better too

Paul1985
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
keep in mind that the stiffer doesnt mean the better too
especially in a daily driven car! lol

NeRV
04-03-2006, 03:05 PM
hey paul, all those parts you listed... do you have a rough estimation of total cost?

steve
04-03-2006, 03:21 PM
hey paul, all those parts you listed... do you have a rough estimation of total cost?

i'l take a guess at 3-3.5 grand

Turps
04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey Paul what's the advantage of using ITR Rear LCA's?

Paul1985
05-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah steve was pretty close. Its gonna cost around $4k.
Ive spent just under $1k on suspension gear atm but im buying the coilovers real soon, they should be somewhere around $2.5k.

LCA's are Lower Control Arms. They are needed at the rear so you can install coilovers that are suited for an EG6/DC2R. Im pretty sure you need them to bolt up the rear ITR sway bar to. The front LCA's you can just use what come with your car.. no need for any different ones there.

EG6 and DC2R Rear LCA's are exactly the same, remember that if looking to buy a set.

To upgrade to ITR sway bar(s) you need:
- The sway bar(s) (either rear, or front and rear)
- sub-frame reinforcement (beaks/BSQ/ASR)
- ITR/EG6 Rear LCA's

I chose to use ITR sway bars because i like to keep things OEM. Whiteline is most likely another great option for swaybars and quiet possibly less headache and easier to source, i have no info on whiteline though.

NeRV
05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
thanks for the info paul... is that setup for track use? im planning to do my car up for track use, but not sure whats a good setup...

oh souperman... JDM = Japanese Domestic Market =]

Paul1985
05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
my setup is going to be on an EG and it will be for w/end use with occasional track use. Its not going to be a daily driven car.

im not exactly sure on what the best setup with swaybars is on an EK, some of the parts i mentioned you may or may not need.. can you bolt ITR LCA's upto an EK?
Im pretty sure people bolt ITR bars on EK's aswell, so i dont see why the same setup wont work..

souperman
05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
thank for the replies ppl! this turned out to be another big discussion digressing off the topic, lol =P
hey |N| how much did it cost to install a whiteline rear sway bar? and what size is good?(if my 99 gli sedan has a stock of 22mm). i looked through the DIY part, and installing a rear sway doesnt look too hard...i want to save $$ if i can...and learn how to install it at the same time =D

hmm...i like brands, even if it costs a bit extra. like, i dont want to buy a noname thing that breaks. i think its worth a little extra money for the less hassle (sorta goes against my "want to save $$$,lol). what jdm is a good brand? i heard cusco is...but i realy know nothing... and if you order it, they come with all the nuts and bolts to install it right? (a bar on its own is kinda useless, lol).

|N|
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
white line is good IMO and install is not that hard... pm EgSi he can throw u a goood deal on it... and EK sedan stock dun come with rear sway ... only front sway .... mine is adjustable ... can be set on 20 or 22mm.. but i have it on 22mm....

thank for the replies ppl! this turned out to be another big discussion digressing off the topic, lol =P
hey |N| how much did it cost to install a whiteline rear sway bar? and what size is good?(if my 99 gli sedan has a stock of 22mm). i looked through the DIY part, and installing a rear sway doesnt look too hard...i want to save $$ if i can...and learn how to install it at the same time =D

hmm...i like brands, even if it costs a bit extra. like, i dont want to buy a noname thing that breaks. i think its worth a little extra money for the less hassle (sorta goes against my "want to save $$$,lol). what jdm is a good brand? i heard cusco is...but i realy know nothing... and if you order it, they come with all the nuts and bolts to install it right? (a bar on its own is kinda useless, lol).

egSi
05-03-2006, 09:51 PM
paul ur a damn baller LOL :thumbsup:

u dont need to spend big $$$ to have a 'trackable' car that can be daily driven.

choose the right parts first :thumbsup:

BlitZ
06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Sounds like your creating an Elise :p

:
- 25mm Front JDM ITR Sway bar
- 23mm Rear JDM ITR Sway bar
- ASR Rear Sub-frame reinforcement (you need reinforcement when installing a larger rear sway bar)
- ITR Rear LCA's
- Cusco Zero 2 coilovers
- Carbing 3-Point Front Brace (similar to a front strut bar)
- Do-Luck Room Bar
- C-Pillar Bar (dont know what brand i want to get)
- Full Race Traction Bar

Thats a pretty intense setup though, you most likely wont need all of those items. Ive got about half of the items i listed atm..

bennjamin
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
the most noticeable difference is just a upgraded rear swaybar. No need for super coilovers or strut braces etc etc ec etc.

Even on stock suspension and only a rear 22mm swaybar my car turns in and sits as firm as. Now that ive gotten coilovers etc ontop - its great. But general handling isnt much improved on what it already was :)

souperman
17-05-2006, 12:59 AM
white line is good IMO and install is not that hard... pm EgSi he can throw u a goood deal on it... and EK sedan stock dun come with rear sway ... only front sway .... mine is adjustable ... can be set on 20 or 22mm.. but i have it on 22mm....

sorry for the late reply, havent had much time to be on the net lately.

ok, i read in another discussion that the 22mm will rip the subframe...is this true? i mean, you're on 22mm now and your car is obviously fine, unless you have reinforcements.

how big should i go for the rear sway bar? (if i dont intend to change the front stock)
how big is my stock front sway bar anyways?

what is an ideal setup between the two (f&r)??

oh, and how much did the whiteline swaybar cost?

thank you =D

Paul1985
17-05-2006, 12:23 PM

ok, i read in another discussion that the 22mm will rip the subframe...is this true? i mean, you're on 22mm now and your car is obviously fine, unless you have reinforcements.

how big should i go for the rear sway bar? (if i dont intend to change the front stock)

thank you =D

A 22mm sway bar can tear the subframe and EK's are more prone to this than EG's. Im pretty sure the whiteline adjustable swaybar either comes with reinforcement, or has reinforcement available to purchase.

If not you can get BSQ, Beaks or ASR reinforcement for the updgraded swaybar, do a search for this as each of the brands have been covered a few times.

Did you PM Trav (egSi)? Im sure he could tell you if the whiteline bar has reinforcement, you could alternately wait for a reply from |N| as he has this kit on his EK.

tanghy
17-05-2006, 12:39 PM
you can't use a ITR LCA on a EK
that will alter the geometry of the rear suspension

tanghy
17-05-2006, 01:11 PM
we have the beaks kit + ctr 22mm rear sway bar for EK

$300 the lot

|N|
17-05-2006, 01:29 PM

thank you =D
it is true that there ll be a chance that it ll rip the subframe off. the only reinforcement i have is the whiteline rear tie. if u have a look at how it mounts... it pretty muhc acts as reinforcement anyway.. and i ve been to track with this setup 3 times.... still going strong yoo.....

wynode
17-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Moved to the noob forum -->