PDA

View Full Version : Auxilary Input Civic VTi 2006

Zac
04-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

Just picked up my new Civic yesterday, really happy with it so far. I noticed that one of the buttons is labelled CD/Aux, so was wondering if there is actually an auxilary input inside the car and where to find it? I want to be able to connect up a ipod or some other MP3 player to the cars audio system.

Regards,
Zac

stanleym
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
well you are talking about your stock player correct... i dont kno much about them but i assume it has a cd player within it

i dont think stock players would have the aux input like u find on afta market h/u because depending on the year model of ur car........

wat u can do if u have any knowledge about removing the unit is take it off and look behind the aux input would most likely be behind the unit if anything......... otherwise buy a new headunitwith the input and ipod it away

:)

****note just noticed u said 2006 so my new statement is in dont have a clue go to dealers haha *****

Fr3aKi3
04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Congrats on the buy!!! :D

wish i could afford the new civic, but i'll just have to settle for a ek.. lol

If you can't find any Aux In, then chances are it'll probably be behind the dash.

Zac
04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I might take a look through the manual when i get a chance. Its my first car and so far incredibly happy with it.

vividjazz
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Could be like the Jazz where you can use the connector on the back of the head unit for the CD changer option to connect a 2 RCA plug to use as an input or might be like the new Fit in the US where there is a factory option for an ipod adapter.

stanleym
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
doubtful it will be in the manual man i dont think they put that sort of stuff in there in order to get people o spend more money at the shop when heir doing it

give honda a call and ask someone who knows about it

if anyone knows i shuld be them

C[H]aMeLeoN
06-03-2006, 10:36 AM
doubtful it will be in the manual man i dont think they put that sort of stuff in there in order to get people o spend more money at the shop when heir doing it

give honda a call and ask someone who knows about it

if anyone knows i shuld be them

Honda wouldn't tell you even if they did know. The input (if it exists) would be for a genuine part only, and they won't tell you otherwise in fear of covering end user initiated warranty issues.

See if you can email these guys to see if they have built a compatible device yet. If they haven't, it shouldn't be a long wait:

http://www.pie.net/index-2-4.cfm?recordID=#Recordset2.apptype

they have a forum too.

you can also try http://www.soundgate.com/

samuel337
23-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey guys - 1st post, so be gentle :p

I know I'm digging up an old post, but I'm also very interested in getting this done, without coughing up a couple hundred bucks for a socket and a bit of wire.

I've been googling and I came across some pages that documented how get the aux jack in the US Civic.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6171
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/auxjack.pdf

Essentially, the cable for the aux jack is already there - it just needs to be connected to the jack itself.

Thinking that the US Civic is pretty much the same, I went and started to take the centre console apart. Not that hard, just a couple of screws and a lot of clips - bit scary though, taking apart my new civic for the first time :p

After taking not just the front section off but the entire centre console, I discovered that the Aust Civics don't have that cable where the US ones do.

Not content with that, I tried looking further, but to no avail. It seems that the cable is simply not there for our cars. I unclipped a panel in the storage space under the AC controls, and peered at the back of the head unit, but it wasn't very helpful - all I found was that there was one connector that was left free, and another that had only one cable coming out of it, as well as another one (which I'm pretty sure is the radio harness) and another one (which maybe the antenna I think).

I didn't investigate further as I wasn't game enough to take my dashboard/centre area apart, so here comes my question:

Has any one done that? And if so, do they have any pictures of the back of the head unit? It seems our headunit is quite different to the US ones so all the ones I found on the net aren't very helpful.

I'm hoping to somehow get the wiring diagram and hopefully hook something up.

I know spending the money would probably be much easier, but then it wouldn't be as much then :D

BTW, can we actually get the aux jack accessory here in Aust?

Sam

JaCe
24-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I didn't read this thread except for the first post but basically, there's some kind of connector/plug thing which costs a few hundred dollars and goes through your cigarette lighter*. On the other end, you can plug it into your iPod or anything with a normal headphones output.

* I think that's what the dealer told me when I asked "what's the AUX mean?"- but he might've said it's behind the cigarette lighter. Regardless, I know that it costs a few hundred or so to get it installed by your dealer.

chylld
24-07-2006, 07:59 PM
like Sam, i had a look too but couldn't find it. but if someone can get the wiring harness for it then you don't need the official aux part, you can just use a switching 3.5mm socket and wire it up - pins 123 are for the audio signal, 4 is nothing, 56 is for detecting the presence of something plugged in. a lot of DIYers in the US just short 56 and hook up a cheap 3.5mm socket to 123

JaCe
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
If this is the same socket which is used to connect to the iPod integration kits, will users be able to control the unit even if they already have an indash stacker?

ie. Pressing CD/AUX to switch to AUX mode... will that mean it's only working as a player of whatever is being pumped in.. or can it still output signals through that port? (man I sound so n00b).

xenfacta
12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
the auxilliary jack is for things like a stacker. the hybrid has a 3.5mm jack ont he aux button. ive got an ipod adapter for it, controls the ipod thru the stereo. I got it from www.advancedice.com.au via Cronulla car sound. there a few places that do them

chylld
12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
If this is the same socket which is used to connect to the iPod integration kits, will users be able to control the unit even if they already have an indash stacker?

ie. Pressing CD/AUX to switch to AUX mode... will that mean it's only working as a player of whatever is being pumped in.. or can it still output signals through that port? (man I sound so n00b).

the (official) ipod integration kit plugs into the back of the head unit (be it a stacker or not), not the 6-pin aux socket. i think the way aux works is yeah it just accepts whatever's coming in and can't control the player (see my description above about the 6 pinouts)

the auxilliary jack is for things like a stacker. the hybrid has a 3.5mm jack ont he aux button. ive got an ipod adapter for it, controls the ipod thru the stereo. I got it from www.advancedice.com.au via Cronulla car sound. there a few places that do them

grr why does the hybrid have all the goodies? :)

some nice stuff on that website, but still very expensive... the official ipod integration kit is only US$162. although convert to au$ and add shipping and it'd be about AU$250...

xenfacta
12-11-2006, 11:17 PM
grr why does the hybrid have all the goodies? :)

somethings gotta justify the price (certainly not performance lol)

some nice stuff on that website, but still very expensive... the official ipod integration kit is only US$162. although convert to au$ and add shipping and it'd be about AU$250

yea, i just went through the installer. there arent many that install them. i dont see prices coming down much soon, one of the negatives of that nicely integrated dash....