PDA

View Full Version : B16a4 Ignition timing trouble

KB
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

Recently performed an AsianDM B16a4 conversion into my EJ8. There seems to be a problem with the ignition timing. When the timing is set exactly to manufacturas specs the car bogs down and doesn't accelerate under WOT. When the dizzy is fully advanced the car runs better about 90% but still bogs down under 3000 Rpm :(.

Any Ideas, COuld my sizzy be 180 dgrees out of phase?

bennjamin
04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
unless the internals of the dizzy are swapped 180 degrees , afaik its impossible for the ignition timing to be 180 degress off ( the dizzy can only fit one way onto the intake camshaft) . Check timign in general which might be the prob , or perhaps dizzy cap or rotor weak internals might be an issue too. Spark plugs are fresh and fresh fuel fitler too ?

KB
04-03-2006, 10:50 PM
OK using a timing light, i have correctly set ignition timing to factory specs, with still no success.

When I picked up the halfcut it was completley stock except for an aftermarket digital igniton, which makes me think that this engine was modified. When I took off the valve cover I inspected the cams. They looked in new perfect condition with no scoring or wear marks. Now me thinks that this bloke had cams in this engine and put stock ones back in after his crash or whatever. When doing this is it possible the cams were put back in incorrectly with them not being in time with the TDC mark on the dizzy.

If both cams were 1 tooth advanced/retarded then this would explain the loss in power, as well as how it seemed to only make any power when igniton timing was set fully advanced.

Tommorow ill rotate my bitch to TDC and se if thats the problem.

ECU-MAN
04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
anything is posible

check your valve timing

wynode
05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Timing belt put on incorrectly could be something to look at (ie off a tooth or two).

KB
05-03-2006, 09:52 PM
now its running wierd

vtec only works if you start the car normally
then turn it off
then start it up with the service connector jumped
then turn it off
then start up normally

and then only it will work if the dizzy is fully advanced

wynode
06-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Have you checked your timing with a timing light? If you need full advance on your dizzy to get the factory timing..........then I suggesting checking your timing belt.