PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Civc Gl or GLI

eileenalot
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi

I'm looking at buying an EG Honda Civic GL 1993 model. It has just over 100,000kms on the clock with a full service history.

I understand from the research I've been able to do so far that the GL has a twin carby and the GLI is fuel injected.

Should I avoid the twin carby and keep looking for a fuel injected one or are they equally good?

thanks

NeRV
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
depends on what you want to do with your car... if you wanna mod it.. i believe the GLi is better to start off with... i have an EG GLi it runs good for what it is... if you have the budget or could find one, the SI or Vti is good... but if you just want an A-B car i guess the GL is good, 93 with 100 clicks is low

eileenalot
05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Nerv

no mods - I just want a reliable car and I'm just not sure what the difference between fuel injection and carbys would mean to me.

Is one more troublesome than the other is what I guess I'm really asking.

cheers

angel
05-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Ive got a GLi injected, i used to have the carby, from my xperience, injected runs better, ive had the car since '99 with 82Ks, now ive clocked 132K, and still no problem, just the daily maintenance, if you can get VTi or Si its better i guess depends on your budget, GLi will do you good, at this age anything can show up (ageing parts) its always serviced and a daily driver, just a reminder that u have to check the timing belt has been replaced, as they do need to be replaced as soon as you hit 80K+, its a must-to-do maintenace check for this age of car, also check the CV joints, take the car for a spin, and do left/right full lock turn, u have to accelarate just a touch and listen if they're making clicking noise, check the radiator head make sure its still in good condition like the hoses, leaks,Thats all i can share from my xperience, hope i can be of help.

eileenalot
05-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks Angel

I've taken note of all your advice. It will come in very handy when I see the car on Tues
;)

angel
05-03-2006, 09:56 PM
If the car's been looked after, the engine block should be clean, no oil leaks between the cylinder head and the engine block and oil sump. If no clicking sound when you do a full lock turn, check the rubber boots of the CV joint, If cracked open, get it replaced ASAP, as the dust can get inside and damage the CV Ball. Post the outcome of your check, hope everthing will be in good condition. Good luck