PDA

View Full Version : Broke Wheel Screw -What to do???

MIRZ
06-03-2006, 08:01 AM
yesterday, when i was try to remove one wheel of my car. one nut was real tight.

when i tried to open it hard, i broke it. now half of screw came off with nut.

now i m driving my car on 3 out of 4 nuts. any idea how to replace this screw, is it easy to do that, any DIY on this? how much in market people chagre to replace this.

i need to get one screw and one bolt to be replaced, thanks for your replies.

:wave:

ECU-MAN
06-03-2006, 08:09 AM
its nice to mention what car you have

since your profile says CD5 Im gonna tell ya how its done for the accords and ludes

you have to remove the hub ( you may have to press it off ) and hammer out the broken stud with a punch. some cars you can do this in the car with out removing the hub, from memory I dont think there is alot of room behind the hub for the stud to come out while its all together.

then you hammer in the new stud.

MIRZ
06-03-2006, 08:23 AM
thanks ECU-MAN, yeah you are right i drive CD5.

is there any DIY for this. i never removed hub before. just did break pad replacement. i suppose. i need to remove break first, then remove break disc, and then remove hub???

cdpfxz
06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
u might be better getting a mechanic or someone u know to do it if ur not that sure.. can be a pain in the ass job!

nic

MIRZ
06-03-2006, 12:35 PM
any idea how much it should cost ????

bungsai
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
cos mt $100 at a mech. i think it was expensive, but i was desperate....oh and i had to do two.

its about 45-1 hr labour.

MIRZ
06-03-2006, 01:30 PM
decided better give it to mech. he will check it tomorrow and let me know how much it will cost to fix.

iamhappy46
06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Most mechanics would replace all four studs, as driving with 3 studs will severely weaken the rest. For the extra $40~50 it is worth it!!

Basically, the other 3 studs/bolts are currently stressed more than normal which can result in failure. When driving the car to get fixed, be careful and drive at low speeds in case the wheel falls off

MIRZ
06-03-2006, 08:10 PM
thanks for your advise imhappy46, will fix it tomorrow. dont wana take any risk.

MIRZ
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
thanks everyone, its been fixed, mech charged me only $40 to replace one stud. according to him rest of 3 were absolutly fine, and no need to change them.

much appreciate all help i received fromyou guys at ozhonda all the time. :)

aimre
08-03-2006, 06:13 PM
theres no weight on the studs, its on the hub (thats why there a hole in the middle of ur wheel)

thats why spacers are so bad, they taje the wheel of the hub and onto the studs.

dc-r
13-03-2006, 06:54 AM
it happen to me before too.
but i did myself... without taking out of hub...
took me 3 hour to done. it wasn't good job, by the way...

if i knew it doesn't coast that much, then i would go to mechanic... :(

RMN15N
13-03-2006, 05:45 PM
My friend had the same problem on his CRX so he just took one bolt off every wheel so evens it out.
Got him around until he saved up n fixed the situation.