PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro HID Questions

gundam
16-04-2004, 12:47 PM
For all the Euro Luxury owners- does your HID ligths have a dead straight horizontal cut off line at night?

On my car it seems that the driver's side light is slighly lower than the passenger side, creating a un-even cut off around the middle.

Tried speaking to the service reps in both Rick Damellian and Larke Hoskins Rosebury, both said that the headlights are "adjusted to Honda's specifications" and the driver's side healight is supposed to be slightly lower to avoid blinding on-coming traffics.....

BS? Or is Honda that considerate to other less fortunate drivers w/o HIDs?

tofu R
16-04-2004, 01:28 PM
hmm i think thats true in general
because road signs are mostly on the left of the road
so the left one should be slowly higher..
if u have a look at normal car's beam pattern
its the same ..

Jus-10
16-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah that all sounds right to me.

Perhaps it is just more obvious with the xenons as opposed to filament bulbs.

Slugoid
16-04-2004, 03:22 PM
I have HID's on my Euro and yes, it does have a distinct cut off point, but not 100% horizontal. HID on driver side is deliberately lower, as you know, so that it does not blind oncoming traffic, and also because Honda were too cheap to put in auto-tilting (like in BMW and Mercs).

fueltank
16-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda were too cheap to put in auto-tilting (like in BMW and Mercs).

but did you pay the price of a Merc or BMW? :D

gundam
16-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I tried to get the service ppl to adjust the passenger side a bit lower to get it in sync with the driver side, but they were unwilling/too lazy to do it.

Had a ride in the boss's 330, his bi-xenon headlight gave a damn straight cut off against the wall....

A'PEXi
16-04-2004, 06:15 PM
got any pics? :P

ABS121
19-04-2004, 04:53 PM
The Euro luxury has self leveling HID's. when you turn the lights on you can see them level out for a split second before they settle, the leveling system counters extra weight in the boot

If you point your Euro down the road at night when its a little dark and turn them on you can see the pattern it throws, its flat from right to left and at about half way it bends at 45 degrees to the left, this is so you can read road signs and see the footpath. (Just like Tufu R said)

The BMW's have been Criticized for having a dead straight beam pattern, yeah its nice and bright but it lacks distance.

Slugoid
19-04-2004, 10:49 PM
The Euro luxury has self leveling HID's. when you turn the lights on you can see them level out for a split second before they settle, the leveling system counters extra weight in the boot

Never knew about that...might park my car on a hill and see if it really work :P

wynode
20-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Most cars have the drivers side light 'slanting down' slightly to reduce glare on oncomming traffic. Its not Honda BS, most cars do this.

Shine it against a white wall and its noticable. The opposite goes for the left driving light which is needed to light up the side of the road.

Jus-10
20-04-2004, 11:04 AM
All aussie cars with xenons have self-levelling - I believe it is an ADR requirement so that the lights will not dazzle oncoming drivers..

I would hate to see them without self-levelling...some of the BMWs are so friggen bright and blinding when coming up from behind and the light catches your mirror...

gundam
20-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks for that ppl- guess i was being too fussy and ill-informed ^_^