PDA

View Full Version : My Civic 2006 review

06-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok, my 2c here. I took 2 models of the new civic for a test drive on Saturday.

I firstly took the 2L sport, manual for a drive. Definitely sets a new benchmark for cars of this class. Engine was beautifully refined, even with only 110Km's on the clock. The engine can only really be heard above the 4000rpm mark and even then, the NVH levels are very impressive.
The engine revved relatively easily, though the demo car was still very tight. I found it had no issues revving up to the redline. Despite the dual-tip exhaust, there is absolutely no exhaust note, even when in the upper rev range.

One major thing which did annoy me is the drive-by-wire setup. When you open it up, between upshifts, say from 1st-2nd or 3rd-4th etc, the engine holds the revs between shifts. My mate sitting next to me thought I couldnt drive! I made a concious effort to ensure I was in fact letting go of the gas between shifts and I was. However the engine still holds its revs. The revs do drop, but only slowly. So what you will find is that, when you rev it to 6500rpm and change, the engine only drops to about 3500rpm, even with a slow gear change action. This I found then hinders the smoothness of the change. I guess the idea of this computer configuration is to keep the engine in its ideal power band. For me, I don't need/want this electronic assistance.

I also took the 1.8L auto for a drive. You can feel the power difference even though its like 11KW, but the torque of the 2L definitely shows. Interior wise, the cloth trim didn't ooze any quality and felt quite cheap.

Gearbox had the usual Honda slickness, no issues there. I did find the clutch had a high take up point. I've driven plently of manual cars, but I found the civic very unsporty in this area. The take-up point was between 1/2 through to 3/4 of the way up. Actually, closer to the 3/4 point. I found this annoying, as I found myself over-revving the engine on a hill start by the time i brought the clutch out. Sorry, but it seems like the clutch action was designed for noobs who can't drive manuals. Having the take-up point so high up definitely ensures its a lot harder to bunny-hop or stall the car.

Steering was nice and sharp. I believe its a electric-assisted setup. Assistance was smooth and progessive, however it did feel remote. I guess I'd have to take it to a nice open-section of winding road to get a better impression, rather than driving down the straight section of woodville road.

Suspension was excellent. It absorbed the bumbs and corrugations of the road really well, without transmitting any harshness to the cabin. Felt really well sorted. Great job here!

I took the bluey-silver car for the drive. Interior wise, a couple of things bugged me. Firstly, the digital speedo cannot be seen when the wheel is at a certain height, which I find to be a major flaw. I drive with my steering wheel at the lowest position, so this was not an issue for me. However, for other drivers, who prefer the wheel in a higher position, they will have to lower it. I still think cars are better off with a needle setup. Its always an adrenalin rush seeing the needle go past the 3/4 point! The theory of having a dual layer dashboard I think is more detrimental to driving as I found there are 2 areas to keep an eye on. I'm very concious of my revs-to-speed and I think the dual layer setup will actually cause more time with my eyes off the road. Seems like a gimmick if you ask me.

This is my opinion, however a blue-ish/beige dashboard is ugly. Firstly, the beige section on the lower part of the dash is bound to get scuffed by shoes and bags etc. Not very smart design, especially when I like to keep my car immaculate. I wasn't a fan of the blue dashboard. Hopefully, when the series 2 version comes out, it changes.
Comfort wise, there is plenty of storage compartments, with a neat pop-out drink holders. As usual, fit is impeccable with no squeaks or rattles.

Am I going to buy it? Yes sir! But I'll wait for series 2 or 3 to come out for them to do the usual cosmetic upgrades.
Hope my review assists prospective buyers. ;)

Mark.

aaronng
06-03-2006, 04:41 PM
OOOOO! Very nice review! I agree with the electronic throttle. Same thing happened during my Euro test drive. You have to get used to it and change your driving style to accomodate. + points for you!