PDA

View Full Version : New Civic - digital speedo query

hondarox
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
For those of you who have test driven or own the new Civic, I would like your opinion on the digital speedo sitting on top of the dash. Reviewers have commented that depending on driver height and adjustment, the steering wheel might actually block the speedo. I noticed that my eyes tend to drift too far and too long to read the speedo and the instrument cluster when I was test driving the car.

HILLuZ
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
havn't had a problem with the speedo. only problem i had was with the steering wheel up higher, it kinda blocked the odometer underneath the tacho. i have the steering wheel in a great driving position for myself now, plus i can see everything. i love it!

blk vti
07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
i had no prob's when i test drove the car. i had the seat on the lowest adjustment & the wheel about mid point & had no problems with view of the speedo.

IronPriapism
07-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I test drove the sport manual, everything was fine. If you can't see the speedo... theres enough adjustments so you could see it. seems ppl are just picking at things for a reason I can't understand...

08-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Refer to my review on this forum:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39243

"I took the bluey-silver car for the drive. Interior wise, a couple of things bugged me. Firstly, the digital speedo cannot be seen when the wheel is at a certain height, which I find to be a major flaw. I drive with my steering wheel at the lowest position, so this was not an issue for me. However, for other drivers, who prefer the wheel in a higher position, they will have to lower it. I still think cars are better off with a needle setup. Its always an adrenalin rush seeing the needle go past the 3/4 point! The theory of having a dual layer dashboard I think is more detrimental to driving as I found there are 2 areas to keep an eye on. I'm very concious of my revs-to-speed and I think the dual layer setup will actually cause more time with my eyes off the road. Seems like a gimmick if you ask me."

JDMTMY
08-03-2006, 02:47 AM
haha...i also found it annoying!!! nearly caused me to crash!! i missed a give way sign at the lights as i was too busy lookin at digital speedo... the chick that took me for the test drive freaked out!!!

08-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I guess we'll have to get used to the setup with this new civic. It's probably going to be around for the next 4-5years!

That is, unless Honda receive a large number of complaints or incidents worldwide forcing them to change the layout of the dashboard to something more conventional. Who knows... :confused:

PaZzMaN-R
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
I LOVE IT!! i can see where you guys are comming from but i think you just picking on the little things cause there rely aint anything else to. it was designed and intended to minimise the time your eyes spend off the road. its positioned in your direct field of vision. the tacho is a different story and you souldnt need to drive looking at it anyways. the dash was designed on a priority basis too. if you want to pick on something pick on the disgusting front speaker covers!!!!

08-03-2006, 06:45 AM
the tacho is a different story and you souldnt need to drive looking at it anyways.

What planet are you from? :confused:

HILLuZ
08-03-2006, 08:03 AM
geez, talk about nit picking! its like people are looking for things to not like about it!

there's height and telescopic adjustment on the steering wheel, if you can't find a comfortable position of the wheel where you can see the tacho, speedo and odometer, then there's something wrong with you! either that, or you're a 3 foot tall midget! :)

UNLS1
08-03-2006, 09:24 AM
if u cant adjust the steering wheel and seat so u cant see the speedo u shouldnt be driving lol its not that bloody hard.....or ur a midget!

MKI4EVA
08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I would have thought in true racing spirit they rev meter would have been on top.

power of dreams my arsssse.

aimre
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
What planet are you from? :confused:

Umm if u cant drive without watching the tach u shouldnt drive a manual. Like no offence, but when do u watch the road?

And what if u gotta drive a mirage for example, some of em dont even have tachos (same with many other cars)

On our roads, its very 'important' to keep to the speed limit, hence, the spedo is close to the road. If u really need the tacho, its right there where it always is.

my 2c

08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Judging be the comments posted, none of you drive a CVT.

I own a Jazz VTi-S with a CVT box. When driving, I always ensure my revs stay below the 2500rpm mark. Its not hard at all to keep it below this mark. I'm always keepin an eye on the tacho to ensure I get great efficiency; result: I get 6.2L/100KM in city driving on a consistent basis.

People who drive cars without tacho's obviously have no interest in cars. I agree with MKI4EVA. The tacho should be up the top, in true racing style. Come to think of it, that would have been much better for the civic, but then again, its a passenger car, not a racing machine!

Thing is, most people who have responded on this thread have seen the layout of the dash in pics, and I would agree, it looks awesome. I say, go for a test drive, not just sit in the car, and then post back on here. I'm confident your opinions would change.

blk vti
08-03-2006, 06:59 PM
it would only be the unfortunate few who would not be able to see the speedo.

PaZzMaN-R
08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Judging be the comments posted, none of you drive a CVT.

I own a Jazz VTi-S with a CVT box. When driving, I always ensure my revs stay below the 2500rpm mark. Its not hard at all to keep it below this mark. I'm always keepin an eye on the tacho to ensure I get great efficiency; result: I get 6.2L/100KM in city driving on a consistent basis.

People who drive cars without tacho's obviously have no interest in cars. I agree with MKI4EVA. The tacho should be up the top, in true racing style. Come to think of it, that would have been much better for the civic, but then again, its a passenger car, not a racing machine!

Thing is, most people who have responded on this thread have seen the layout of the dash in pics, and I would agree, it looks awesome. I say, go for a test drive, not just sit in the car, and then post back on here. I'm confident your opinions would change.

sould have said this in the begining. 110% correct

mrwillz
08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
i get annoyd if digital speedos haf a slow update rate. like it lags. n not real time update on speed etc. (im refer to echo)
i no itsl ike a fraction of a second or watevr

IronPriapism
09-03-2006, 12:45 AM
If you're so good at driving, you can tell generally how many revs you are out without looking. I ride motobikes and its piss easy. its not that far down you can't see it.

09-03-2006, 12:51 AM
If you're so good at driving, you can tell generally how many revs you are out without looking. I ride motobikes and its piss easy. its not that far down you can't see it.

Can't agree with that. My jazz's engine is very refined and you can barely hear it until about 2700rpm.

When I took the 2006 civic for a drive, that was even quieter. I couldn't hear it until it had about 3500rpm on the clock.

I NEED a tacho to tell me how hard the engine is working.

IronPriapism
09-03-2006, 01:05 AM
you dont NEED to hear the engine to know. Once you get the feel of the car you should know. And if you dont know, its in a different spot than normal, its just something you need to get used to.

09-03-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm a very fussy driver, as you can probably tell.

Anywayz, we're going off the thread topic :wave:

IronPriapism
09-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh and yeah, it is super quiet, when i went for a test drive, the sales consultant started up the car, but found it was already started!! CRUNK.. so funny.. but yeah.. its super quiet, quite nice

09-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Dumb ass sales rep!

Thats why I've never considered buying a demo car :cool:

MiSloVic
09-03-2006, 09:13 AM

definitely agree with ur comment. if u are used to the car, a good driver will be able to estimate the speed of the car, w/o looking at the speedo. can be achieved by making urself familiar with the frequency of the bumps, and how fast/slow the bumps are felt from the front wheels to the rear wheels.

IAM307
10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
For those of you who have test driven or own the new Civic, I would like your opinion on the digital speedo sitting on top of the dash. Reviewers have commented that depending on driver height and adjustment, the steering wheel might actually block the speedo. I noticed that my eyes tend to drift too far and too long to read the speedo and the instrument cluster when I was test driving the car.

I didn't have much problem with the speedo, but it is a bit reflective. But then again you can always adjust your seat.

hondarox
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I just returned from test driving the VTi auto. The sales person's having a busy day. So I drove the car with just myself and my missus in it. I paid special attention to the digital speedo and I must admit that concerns about the steering wheel blocking it is unfounded. The steering wheel is easily adjustable so that it sits between the speedo and the analog instrument cluster.
I'm still not impress with the cloth trim. I had to drive the car through some hilly roads and the 1.8L struggled somewhat. There's also some tire roar from the 16" wheels. The stereo is so so as there's only 4 speakers and no bass / treble controls.
Does anyone know whether you can set speed alert for the Civic?

TypeG
11-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Toyota start to use it on their echo for ages
no one complaint that it is hard to read at all
it located at the top mean you can see your speed more easily without look up and down all the time, IMO