PDA

View Full Version : Car is unstable?

spetz
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Ok, I fitted the tein SS coilovers
They aren't too stiff and the shockies I am assuming are still running in as it is a bit bouncy, and floats around

The wheel alignment settings are:
0mm toe front and rear
-0.8 deg camber front
-1.0 deg camber rear

But, at high speeds (140km/h) if I change direction it seems to "wave" around, and kind of moves around a bit before settling back into a straight line.

I was wondering could this be the shockies still running in? I had the fulcrum coilovers before these and didn't have this problem.
And these feel softer even though the spring rates are harder

bennjamin
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
increase the damper front and rear to "hold" the spring more firmly inplace during your high stress or high speed movements -

spetz
08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I put it to 8 clicks away from softest at all 4 corners

Considering they are new I didn't want to put them on full hard. Do they dampers get harder as they get worn in? As it is too soft now.

You think this is the problem?

bennjamin
08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
how low is it ?
Perhaps a nice thicker rear swaybar might help you out for stability too :)

[ricer]
08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
tein ss are just crap :D

Domokun SPL
08-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Body roll doesnt mostly come from springs/shocks. Swaybars are the most important component when it comes to roll as they use the weight of the car to counterbalance when turning.

This reason is why swaybars are known as "the best bang for buck handling upgrade"

Spetz, dampers get softer as they wear. When they are new they will be the most harsh they will ever be. That is why shocks wear, because they loose their ability to "dampen"

spetz
08-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I read somewhere that they will get stiffer than they are when brand new?

The swaybars are 19mm front and 18mm rear

BlitZ
09-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Im not sure about this one, but what ill check is the toe setting.. even jsut use you vision to check it (when its completely off its obvious) even though you have been told its 0

I know toe effects your turn in and acceleration... but from what ive read (not sure how correct it is) it also assists how quick your steering would return to str8..

And how is your car sitting??? is your back lower than your front? if so try changing it so your front is slightly lower.. this would reduce turbulance and increase high speed stability

Ok, I fitted the tein SS coilovers
They aren't too stiff and the shockies I am assuming are still running in as it is a bit bouncy, and floats around

The wheel alignment settings are:
0mm toe front and rear
-0.8 deg camber front
-1.0 deg camber rear

But, at high speeds (140km/h) if I change direction it seems to "wave" around, and kind of moves around a bit before settling back into a straight line.

I was wondering could this be the shockies still running in? I had the fulcrum coilovers before these and didn't have this problem.
And these feel softer even though the spring rates are harder

J_Mech
09-03-2006, 11:21 AM
If you reduce your rear toe from 0mm to -1mm or less you will gain stability, although you will lose steering response, however it is quite easy to play with and find a value that you are comfortable with.

If the springs are very high in stiffness than you really need to have high damper rates to control it. If you can change it easily I would be turning it right up to stop the excessive undamped movement.

iamhappy46
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, run a little toe in to increase hi speed stability. Toe out makes cornering more exciting/responsive!

Upgraded swaybars will complement and improve upon the coil-overs response. Essentially, the swaybar is a spring between L&R sides and will it more stable on the road.

SINISTR
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
What about your other suspension components like bushes etc? could they be the culprit?

spetz
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I am not sure

The car is sitting about even front to back.
And the odd thing is, it used to be more stable with the fulcrums which are supposed to be an inferior coilover to the Teins

The springs are 5kg front, 4kg rear.

Bushes to my knowledge are fine, the car has about 100,000km on it but none have been changed

It's hard to explain what it handles like, but imagine doing about 140km/h, and you change lanes (fairly suddenly) after that the car will like wobble

ctn
09-03-2006, 06:48 PM
It's because your tyre sidewall is too soft, the tyres are now the weakest link.

SINISTR
09-03-2006, 06:48 PM
all i can suggest is you visit a reputable suspension workshop - someone you can trust not someone that will try and slog you for extra costs, get them to take it for a test drive and maybe they will be able to pinpoint the precise location of you problem...

otherwise you're just shooting blind hey.

spetz
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately no one here is really willing to do much to the car as besides the chassis and shell nothing is original on it...

The tyres I have are 205/45/16 so I don't about sidewall flex? Though they have been sitting for a year so I'll check the pressure on them

ctn
09-03-2006, 07:03 PM
The tyres I have are 205/45/16 so I don't about sidewall flex? Though they have been sitting for a year so I'll check the pressure on them

One way to check is, increase tyre pressure and see if it lessens the effect.

kit927
09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
where abouts ar u located??
if u ar in sydney try IS motor racing and speak to indy,
he should be able to help u out, well he put the tein RAs in for me and they ar fine. Changed the settings a few times till we got it right....

BlitZ
09-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Ill simply bring it back to the place who did you alignemtn and tell them quickly to check it again

Ive driven a car on tein ss.. and it was fine

spetz
10-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, the ride is very soft too
Although, I am not sure if that's clouded by the fact that I have been driving/riding in a friends car running Tein HA's in it

But, going from the fulcrums these feel softer, even though the springs are supposed to be stiffer?

I'll take it tomorrow hopefully into the shop that wheel aligned it and tell them to recheck it

Could weight bias have anything to do with it? It is 66/34 :(

ctn
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Are you experiencing body roll or yaw?

They are 2 different things.

HondaLva
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Remember u said earlier that your spring rate were 5 and 4 kilo front and rear....i not a pro ill tell ya now :p but they seem fairly low....check that maybe :)

spetz
12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
What is the difference between yaw and body roll?

yeah 5K and 4K
But I had softer springs before in my other coilovers and they seemed stiffer. I am guessing shock valving...

|N|
12-03-2006, 04:17 PM
i recently got ss installed... adn i have on probs. with it tho

|N|
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
wat car r they for???
coz mine s r 6k and 4k ...

spetz
12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
They're not for a honda, they're for a lancer coupe

What car you have? EG?
How do you find the ride?

|N|
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
They're not for a honda, they're for a lancer coupe

What car you have? EG?
How do you find the ride?

i ahve EK ... normal driving almost feel s the same as any other stock car... but there wasnt any thing strange like wat u said...
try adjust to a stiffer damper rate

ctn
12-03-2006, 06:36 PM
What is the difference between yaw and body roll?

Yaw is side to side <-->.
Roll is rotational like in an O.

spetz
14-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Side to side like wobbling?
That is what I am experiencing

As for body roll, there is some...
But, it's not just body roll but rather the inside lifts up quite bad

It handles ok, nothing too fantastic but better than your average car. Of course, it has 740kg over the front wheels :(

ctn
15-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Side to side like wobbling?
That is what I am experiencing

As for body roll, there is some...
But, it's not just body roll but rather the inside lifts up quite bad

It handles ok, nothing too fantastic but better than your average car. Of course, it has 740kg over the front wheels :(

Increase tyre pressure (38-40 psi on a 15") or get tyres with stiffer sidewalls.

What do you mean by the inside lifts up? Do you mean bodyroll or wheel is off the ground?

spetz
15-03-2006, 11:37 AM
They are 16s but yeah I'll check them today for sure.

Inside, the wheel doesn't lift off the ground, but basically when I turn, it leans into the turn but at the same time it lifts up heaps from the inside.

It's not too flat, like on a hard corner the car may get to about 15 degrees of lean (if you kind of look at it in a protractor scale)

ctn
15-03-2006, 11:51 AM
In that case, dont touch the tyre pressure.

What you are describing is body roll. that's normal.

If you want to reduce this, get stiffer swaybars.

Oh some bodyroll is a good thing.

type one
15-03-2006, 05:32 PM
i had the same issue with my R and EG. I was running Tein HA which is a similar product - and all i got the alignment guy to do was change was caster... made a huge difference... but then again he knew what he was doing.... i will see if i cannot dig up the report and check the settings...