PDA

View Full Version : can u replace synchos?

geo41e
17-04-2004, 11:47 AM
as it says.

when i change gears quick with my foot all the way in, the gears sometimes crunch..
syncho problem? help dudes..happenes from 1st to 2nd...and 3rd to 4th

plz help. I just got my car two days ago..oh yeah, its gotta short shift kit..like..real short...shortter than my friends type R DC2

Weq
17-04-2004, 02:19 PM
u can chnage the syncro's but u need to pull apart the gearbox. chances are when its apart there will be more damage, but yeah. Migth be cheaper sourcing a 2nd hand box or reco'd one.

joneblaze
17-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Yes, what Weq said. I used to have a crunchy like 3rd gear synchro, was advised to leave it until it died due to high labour cost. A dose of Honda MTF did the gearbox and synchro a WONDER of good. This was around 6 mths ago, and between 2-3 services with MTF the synchro has been 100% since. :) (Or you could try Redline products like I was considering, but in light of recent discussion about a few of their items in this forum, you might want to research it carefully first :))

**Ghost**
17-04-2004, 02:41 PM
wot s MTF? :oops:

toE
17-04-2004, 02:56 PM
MTF=Manual Transmission Fluid

McChook
17-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Amazing what MTF can do....

Try and only use geniune Honda tranny fluids. They are really one of a kind, so don't try to go cheaper... NOT a good idea.

vuvu
18-04-2004, 04:12 AM
how much would the fluid cost from a honda dealer?
=)

vuvu
18-04-2004, 04:36 AM
and wats so bad about redline? i've only heard good things bout them
:D

bizee_1
18-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Yes, what Weq said. I used to have a crunchy like 3rd gear synchro, was advised to leave it until it died due to high labour cost. A dose of Honda MTF did the gearbox and synchro a WONDER of good. This was around 6 mths ago, and between 2-3 services with MTF the synchro has been 100% since. :) (Or you could try Redline products like I was considering, but in light of recent discussion about a few of their items in this forum, you might want to research it carefully first :))

thanks joneblaze ! hopefully it works in my situation too.
Save some $$$ (well not really, it would just go towards something else! hehe)

pandavtec
18-04-2004, 06:09 PM
i am also having problems with my 3rd gear but i been reading heaps that a short shift kits are really bad for your gearbox????. :x

Spoon-Accord
18-04-2004, 07:06 PM
sorry guys.. i thought this is relation to transmissions too..
wat happens if my car doesnt go into reverse sometimes...
thats after a good thrash it happens..

DR HONDA
18-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Using genuine honda fluids is a must in transmissions as they are designed for the close tolerances adhered by honda motor company. is it crunching in all gears as it may sound like you may have a clutch concern. All in all enjoy driving the worlds greatest make.

DR HONDA
18-04-2004, 08:16 PM

From your description it sounds like your trans may be suffering from a mainshaft preload concern usually felt if a transmission is being abused.

2ds
18-04-2004, 10:04 PM

From your description it sounds like your trans may be suffering from a mainshaft preload concern usually felt if a transmission is being abused.

also try changing your transmission fluid, that in it's self might fix the problem for the time being(althought obviously it's only a temporary measure)

-2ds

bizee_1
19-04-2004, 01:37 AM
i thought i'd like to add, that my 3rd gear only crunches once the gearbox has warmed up. [the way i tell is the area under the handbrake] when it's still cold, 3rd won't crunch. But that doesn't last for long.

having said that, maybe it is the oil, at the same time maybe 3rd is on it's way out.

i am also having problems with my 3rd gear but i been reading heaps that a short shift kits are really bad for your gearbox????. :x

i am currently using a B&M short shifter, although the original gearbox for my civic, 3rd gear crunched, likewise for my '88 integra, of which both had stock shifters.

After saying that, maybe it's just my driving ! 2nd to 3rd shifts! ;) lol

Rufes1
19-04-2004, 01:39 AM
I have been told that my gearbox takes standard engine oil. And if MTF fluid is used I wont get 100m.

btw i have an 89' civc.

??????

Civic Type R
19-04-2004, 04:53 PM
The Type R gearbox i purchased was a dodgy and many items to make it work were omitted when it was quickly whacked together for quick sale to an unfortunate adam .. (me)

The shims were missing as well as other parts to make the second gear burn to another gear or the shaft i dunno exactly. So i will be dismantling my old VTiR box and reusing all the compatible parts to make the faulty R box work.

The VTiR box shares the same 1,2 & 3 gear ratios as the ITR box.

kimbi
21-04-2004, 11:12 PM
I have this problem in my car too - at over 4000rpm, if youre changing from 2nd to 3rd it will crunch a little :( my mechanic said theres nothing wrong though and i got someone to change the MTF today and he said it hasnt made a difference..

obviously i dont want to have to get a new gearbox but i want to know if theres any other options!

Kit
22-04-2004, 12:00 AM
I had a short shift in my EK4 and I have used Castrol Syntrax and also Elf Synthetic gearbox oil.

I can recommend both of these oils. They are very good and there was a significant difference in shift feel. I never have had any crunching in any gears.

Chris

**Ghost**
22-04-2004, 12:11 AM
ig et a bit of crunching as well and its not even due to me!! just got the car off some other guy... but its weird... does it happen for u guys when u are at a full stop? (as in u are at teh red lights, try shifting through all the gears)

hwo much is a gearbox neway? 2nd hand...

bizee_1
22-04-2004, 02:49 AM
not sure about the price of a 2nd hand gearbox.

although, you may be better off having yours repaired.

As the 2nd hand gearbox may be faulty too requiring repairs sooner or later.
As it is a matter of luck i guess.

Civic Type R
22-04-2004, 12:53 PM
my new rebuilt box is a dream.
the mechanic said it kinda crunches for him from first to second but ive driven it for about 300km since getting it back and its as fluid as a glass of water. No crunches :)

so i guess its up to how you drive.

fueltank
22-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Could it be you guys are shifting way too fast?

Kit
22-04-2004, 01:51 PM
ig et a bit of crunching as well and its not even due to me!! just got the car off some other guy... but its weird... does it happen for u guys when u are at a full stop? (as in u are at teh red lights, try shifting through all the gears)

hwo much is a gearbox neway? 2nd hand...

nah dont worry about it ghost.
change the gearbox oil to a good oil like the Castrol Syntrax.
you should be a lot happier after that.

just remember honda dont change the gearbox oil until every 40,000km! I used to change my gearbox oil every 10,000km

bizee_1
23-04-2004, 02:43 AM
...A dose of Honda MTF did the gearbox and synchro a WONDER of good. This was around 6 mths ago, and between 2-3 services with MTF the synchro has been 100% since....

joneblaze, are you meaning to say that in those services, you changed the gearbox oil, aswell as the oil filter and oil ?

Kit, how often do you change your gearbox oil now ?

Kit
23-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Kit, how often do you change your gearbox oil now ?

Bizee, I no longer have my EK Civic.
but in my current car (a nissan :D ), I still change the gearbox oil every 10,000km.
I never take my cars back to the factory for servicing either. I recommend finding a good mechanic and sticking to him / her :)

kimbi
25-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Can anyone suggest something for my lil car? i mean a i dont wanna get a reco box :( dammit.. should have NEVER let my Ex drive it, hes the one who stuffed the gearbox!!!!

bizee_1
25-04-2004, 01:46 AM
hmm i have MTF in there now. It has helped a little. Crunching does not occur in the lower rev ranges anymore. In the higher rev ranges, crunching still occurs though.

at least i'll have a bit of sanity while driving normal now, at least.

i don't know what else to recommend kimbi...

beyond
26-04-2004, 07:28 PM
how much does it cost for genuine honda MTF?

SIKCVC
26-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Post deleted.

kimbi
26-04-2004, 10:55 PM
the honda MTF was only about $15 from honda.. but that was with mechanic friend of mine buying it.. i dont know the real price

bizee_1
27-04-2004, 12:15 AM
i bought mine from a spare parts shop in Cabramatta for $14.50/1 litre bottle.
I think it is called Turbo Auto Spares on Cabramatta road.

Otherwise i'd normally try Asian spare parts shops.

badsector
19-10-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm also experiencing a similar problem with my DC2 VTIR gearbox. When the transmission is cold, shifting into gears is not a problem. After driving for around 5 minutes, shifting into the gears seem harder. They still go in but require abit more force. I have had this problem ever since purchasing my car about 2-3 months ago. I have thought about opting for a Type-R gear box with LSD but i am not too sure wheather how much these cost. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to opt for that yet for i don't have the finances at the moment but would like more comfort out of driving my baby. Any suggestions?

JohnCRX
19-10-2004, 09:01 PM
My CRX with JDM B16/tranny conversion was crunching in 3rd when I did the conversion.
Now it doesn't.
The tranny was returned to the importer who deglazed the ramps on the gears where the bronze sunchros contact.
When it returned I stopped using engine oil and started using MTF.
Since then it is like new. Either the oil cahnge or the machanic fixed it.
Try the proper oil (MTF) first.
If you still got the crunch, you will need to get the bronze deposits removed ("deglazed") from the gear ramps like mine.