PDA

View Full Version : Alarms + Remote central locking

scottyj
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi guys

i have an 01 Prelude with stock remote central locking.

i wanna install an aftermarket alarm - but many installers have told me that it can be risky installing an aftermarket alarm into a car which already has remote central lock (because once u replace the stock remotes with new ones, there can still be problems, and things get interfeared with signals, and some engine/ignition cut outs etc etc).

Has anyone experienced any of thse problems/issues??

Apparently in the BA Falcon there is a cut out which triggers after about an hour - eg if you open doors and start engine with key (and not with Ford stock remote) the car will work for bout an hour but then the ignition/engine will cut out. As far as i know, Preludes don't have this 'cut out' feature... so that is a good thing.

But - many alarm installers i have spoken to have recommended not to put in an aftermark system but to get an "upgrade" specific to my car (still manufctured by an afteraret brand - eg antitheft etc). this 'upgrade' works with the stock remotes etc, but just adds immobiliser and alarm to the system. the downside is that its a lot more expensive (and maybe thats why these shops are suggesting it??)

But... any thoughts??

PS thinking a mongoose m60 series - anyone have any views on these?

many thanks guys
cheers
scott

Q_ball
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
ive got the mongoose m80am alaram system in my car and i havent had any probs with the actual locking and unlocking of the car, its done me very well.
the only issue i have had with my install, is the installer....
ive had to take it back a couple times cause they made a mess of all the wiring, my SRS light came on after the install and basically didi a shotty job.
the alarm system and the actual security features it provides is really good, but i feel that if any issues were to arise would be from the installer.
find a reputable installer and you should be fine :)

scottyj
10-03-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks q-ball - wat car and year are you in?
the installer i want to use (who i think are reputable - lifestylestore in parramatta) are the main ones who are suggesting for the upgrade system rather than a full after market system...? they said they would be more comfy for the long term to use an upgrade (tho did say they could easily do the install - its not difficult - but were just trying to give the best advice)
???

Zdster
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I have never heard of anything like this. I suppose if you were to install an alarm and the stock central locking was to interfer with it, you could always put in some compatible aftermarket solenoids to lock and unlock your doors - but as I said, havent heard of this happening before. Maybe it is car specific?

scottyj
10-03-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks zdster - the installation guys said they hadn't specifically had problems with preludes as such - but just that sometimes these things do crop up - i guess eg the BA falcon
have u got an aftermarket alarm on a car with previous remote?
cheers scott

Q_ball
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
thanks q-ball - wat car and year are you in?
the installer i want to use (who i think are reputable - lifestylestore in parramatta) are the main ones who are suggesting for the upgrade system rather than a full after market system...? they said they would be more comfy for the long term to use an upgrade (tho did say they could easily do the install - its not difficult - but were just trying to give the best advice)
???
thats where i went to get my install done!!
i wouldnt really go there...sure theyre pretty big in the area...but they did an absolute SHAT job on my car...wires everywhere, focked my srs light...
terrible to say the least...
my cars a 96 integra gsi turb.
the only thing they got rite with my car was that it locked, windows had auto lift, and the alarm and immobiliser was working with the turbo timer...
the actually quality is a lil shat...
id recommend that those guys stick to stereos and stereo installs..not alarms..
jst my opinion mate :)

scottyj
10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
interesting - ok so next question is where are some good installers?! preferably on the north side??? (thats where i am)