PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan not working?

FastFwd
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Installed my turbo kit about two weeks ago and a couple days ago my car started to overheat and i originally thought it was a head gasket but it only started to heat up when i was at the traffic lights, otherwise its fine.

i checked my fan with a test cable direct from the battery and the fan works, checked the fuses for the fan and there also fine, does anyone have any other solutions?

Q_ball
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
thermostat might be gone.
i HAD the same prob in my turbo teg - car overheated whenever the car was on and idling.
if you have checked the fan works by directly connecting to the actual battery, then it must be the wiring somewhere or fuse.
but since u said the fuse is good, my best bet is the thermostat.
check ya thermostat.
the other alternative is to wire the fan temporarily to a on and off switch so thats its on whenever u need it to be.

heist
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
actually, it is prob ur fan switch, which is located where the rad pipe goes tonto the engine in the top..... i had the same prob

FastFwd
10-03-2006, 11:25 AM
i had the same problem with my d16y motor before i put the b16a2 in. and i was told that the heat sensor in my engine block or (heat switch) is clogged and isnt picking up the heat so it wont turn on the fan. but my engine is fairly new, only 34,000 k's. i might do a engine flush this arvo and see how that goes. im quite confused.

do the fans have a relay switch?

zorrt
10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I believe they do have a relay switch. There one relay in my fuse box which says cooling fan relay. And was also told by a mate that theres one. I have the same problem but lazy to try find out whats wrong. I just leave the aircon running for the time being until I can be bothered. Summer sucks.

Bowzer
10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Before you go crack open your thermostat housing and relay switches, a simple test you can do is unplug the fan switch plug on the thermostat housing should be a light green colour or grey on some models... Using a paper clip or some wires you can short out the terminals of the plug. With the ignition switch on you should hear the relay click and then fans turn on. If that is the case then nows a good time to flush out the radiator fluid, crack open the thermostat housing and change the thermostat. Probable case where the spring inside is stuck and not grounding the switch in order to turn the fans on

FastFwd
13-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the help, i will give that a try this afternoon. over the weekend i made a temporary fix and made a switch inside my car with power running directly to the radiator.

Weq
13-03-2006, 04:44 PM
like bowzer said, jump the connector first with a paper clip. If this does not work, its ur fan relay. wire it on all the time because u dont want to take any chances.

otherwise it must be ur thermoswitch which is located on the thermostat housing. take a deep dish socket to it, and its a 5 minute job to change out.

the temp sensor in ur head is for the stock gauge/ecu and has nothing to do with ur fan.

LASTLY, are u spitting any coolant out of ur overflow bottle??????

FastFwd
13-03-2006, 04:51 PM
yeh i was spitting coolant - but i thought that would only do that cos it was overheating due to the fan not turning on.

RMN15N
13-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Check the connectors that connect to teh radiator, could be dirty or worn out due to age.