PDA

View Full Version : serious information required regarding horn

mrwillz
10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
ok
my whole steering units buggerd up my horn

to replace its oging to cost me $595 + labour

other solution is that i kan get a horn button sumwhere on my dash.
but thing is wont b able to press the horn switch on the steering itself.

are there ne legality issues wif this?

Zdster
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
When you say the whole steering wheel is gone, what exactly did the auto electrician tell you? You should be able to find a replacement wheel fairly cheaply and reuse your current airbag (at least that is how I understand the steering wheel unit to work).

Not sure about legality of not having a working horn though. Maybe put in a call to Vicroads or start reading the adrs.

[[d a n n y]]
10-03-2006, 11:30 AM
i think 595 is a rip

Zdster
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
]']i think 595 is a rip

That too. You can buy a type r wheel for that sort of cash.

mrwillz
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
they said sumthn bout my cable coils all stufd. eg. wen i turn the wheel, horn will not work wotsoever.

how much is this going to cost me all up?
seriously im gettin frustrated!

Zdster
10-03-2006, 11:33 AM
they said sumthn bout my cable coils all stufd. eg. wen i turn the wheel, horn will not work wotsoever.

how much is this going to cost me all up?
seriously im gettin frustrated!

As I said, you may be able to get away with just getting a replacement wheel (minus airbag) for fairly cheap and just use your exisitng one - that being said I am not sure if the coil is in the steering coloumn or in the wheel itself.

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 11:33 AM
they probably left out the white discs that cancels ur blinker...or something along those lines. regardless , if its not a SRS steering wheel then its easy enough to take it off and check it out for urself - otherwise if it is a SRS airbag one maybe there is an internal issue ?
*waits for ECU MAN*

mrwillz
10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
exactly wot u sed benjammin.
and it is a SRS airbag!

Civic Type R
10-03-2006, 01:31 PM
my guess is that the wire with end piece (which looks like a speaker connection) has come loose behind the steering wheel. If you have checked that then check the terminals where the horn is located behind the front bumper. Benn, those grooves activate and deactivate the indicator column, the horn wiring doesnt use these grooves.

mrwillz
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
ok
well im opting for a cheaper solution seeing that the air bag does actually still work , jus not horn.

i may jus use the stock horn, n run a direct wire to the battery and a switch mounted in the dash sumwhere.
sucha headache

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Benn, those grooves activate and deactivate the indicator column, the horn wiring doesnt use these grooves.

yup yup - i refer to the connection that does enable the horn signal ~ it is a weak piece of thin metal so perhaps that is bent too far back (towards the steering wheel and not the hub) so it cant make a proper connection -

take a foto or get a professional opinion !

mrwillz
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
ben ur rite
i got a proper check out wif another local whom a friend (top guy)
he sed it was calld clockwork or disc work.
can neone giv me a proper word for it, and i will check prices.
neone haf an idea roughly?

ECU-MAN
10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
its the cable real thats at fault, also called clockreal

this is what connects the airbag from the wheel to the SRS ECU, also houses horn and cruise control switches,

there are no brushes or contacts, its a sealed unit with ribon wire that winds and unwinds as your turn the wheel

yours has an open circuit in it somewhere.

mrwillz
11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
i've gotten a quote so far for around $500 2nd hand??