PDA

View Full Version : Broken Power Windows

reckless
10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
It seems as if my power windows are stuffed.

My power windows (driver's side) have been stuffing up (being an EJ8) and I suppose on one of the occasions while trying to desperately get the window up after coming off the rails, the force must've been too much and caused two of the internal metal pieces to break off their spot weld. I believe that to be the case as I've compared it to the passenger's side window. Now, those two metal pieces are just dangling and I can't use the driver's side window, cause if I press for it to go down the window will just drop.

I figure those two pieces connected, were part of the framework to hold up the window or something.

Would anybody know or can anybody recommend places that I can go and get this fixed at? Or would this be a job any mechanic can take care of?

essmangti
10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
what do mean two peices have broken off their 'spot weld'?

have u looked inside to see whats actually broken/dislodged? do u have a pic?

its pretty easy job to replace the whole setup-motor n regulator but first identify exact problem :thumbsup:

reckless
11-03-2006, 02:17 AM
yeh i apologise, should of been more specific to begin with. it seems two metal pieces from the windows regulator broke off.. as i initially mentioned. here's an example pic of what im referring to and the area it broke off the spot weld.

http://users.tpg.com.au/guess108/window_regulator.jpg

that long piece in the middle where the two pieces are placed on either side may have also been bent alittle somehow.

im just wondering, would it be best to just get it fixed or replace the thing? and if it would be best (or easiest) to fix it, then which place(s) should I be approaching for it to be done?

essmangti
11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
so youve already taken it out?

its pretty easy to replace the regulator yourself takes less than 1hr...i think this is your best/cheapest option (reglator roughly $145 from HONDA)..unless you can find someone who will sell 2nd hand power window setup for cheaper...

but its at your own risk depending on your skill/tools.

If your not confident im sure you could buy the regulator and give it to a tint/window shop and they will replace for you.

reckless
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks for the suggestion, i will probably go with it as it seems it has potential of being a solid solution.

i suppose it's better than fiddling around with the current broken regulator in terms of money and time.

essmangti
11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
i suppose it's better than fiddling around with the current broken regulator

depends on how broke it is ;)

if your gonna do the replacement yourself make sure u take out the glass window first...so it doesnt get scratched! :thumbsup: